Tobby Sweet

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is hes there to play pool,i sure hope so,nobody could swing it like Toby,best cash player ever!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
His name is Toby. :rolleyes:
And he did play real Sweet!

Funny little Toby story. He was playing down in Florida and drilling some long lost soul whose name I've forgotten. Toby was wearing his trademark bell bottom jeans, flower power T-shirt and groovy sandals. After it was all over the guy looks at Toby and says "I know you, you're Hippy Jimmy!" Toby smiles and says "Shhh, I don't want anyone else to know!"

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
many claim that title,,why in your opinion ?

examples:...pictures...receipts?

"not knockin just clockin"

Your rite Cash,let me refresh,Toby was one of a few in his time frame,to bet very high and play stronger and stronger as the bet increased,not many at all(if any)went down south looking to take him off,and it was well knowed threw out the states,anybody could go down south and get any kind of action they were looking for from Toby and bet all they came with!Btw Jay great little story,boy you got around!

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Your rite Cash,let me refresh,Toby was one of a few in his time frame,to bet very high and play stronger and stronger as the bet increased,not many at all(if any)went down south looking to take him off,and it was well knowed threw out the states,anybody could go down south and get any kind of action they were looking for from Toby and bet all they came with!Btw Jay great little story,boy you got around!

If you are referring to Toby down south, at that time he was already past his prime. In the late 60's and early 70's he played about as good as anyone at 9-ball. He was the only guy I saw Mike Carella not want to play, he asked for a spot. Toby also always bet his own money. The scariest thing about him was, you knew from the start he would not quit and most likely play better and better.

That is not to say Toby was the best, he was not, but if the best wanted to mess with him they would have to bring it all to the table. Once they start it would be a war and if they faltered in any way, they lose, no matter who you were. I was told when he would pop in the Four Seasons, Mizerak's place in NJ, Miz always seemed to busy to play. He was just a hard, hard, guy to beat. Harder then most wanted to play.

Last edited:

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you are referring to Toby down south, at that time he was already past his prime. In the late 60's and early 70's he played about as good as anyone at 9-ball. He was the only guy I saw Mike Carella want not play, he asked for a spot. Toby also always bet his own money. The scariest thing about him was, you knew from the start he would not quit and most likely play better and better.

That is not to say Toby was the best, he was not, but if the best wanted to mess with him they would have to bring it all to the table. Once they start it would be a war and if they faltered in any way, they lose, no matter who you were. I was told when he would pop in the Four Seasons, Mizerak's place in NJ, Miz always seemed to busy to play. He was just a hard, hard, guy to beat. Harder then most wanted to play.

Just to clear up the Carella story. Toby came down to the Congress pool hall with his road partner Cuban Joe. Carella offered Cuban Joe the 8 and offered to play Toby even. Cuban Joe and Toby got in an argument over who should play. They divided up their money right their and Cuban joe took the 8 and Carella robbed him. Toby left town without playing Carella. I started playing pool 22 years ago down here in south florida. I have been watching Toby play for that long and his cueball was perfect. I learned alot watching him play. When CJ Wiley came through Florida when he was young Toby was the only one to beat him. From about 1996 on Toby rarely practiced or played except the occasional road players that would come through. He would get up and play them most of the time even out of stroke. I asked Buddy Hall how good did Toby play at his best. Buddy said that when Toby was playing his best nobody could have given Toby the 8. That was with the old rules so make of that what you want but that is a strong statement coming from Buddy. When i was watching Toby play in the early 90's in the local tournaments every shot he took was from 2 feet away or less. He was really amazing

macguy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just to clear up the Carella story. Toby came down to the Congress pool hall with his road partner Cuban Joe. Carella offered Cuban Joe the 8 and offered to play Toby even. Cuban Joe and Toby got in an argument over who should play. They divided up their money right their and Cuban joe took the 8 and Carella robbed him. Toby left town without playing Carella. I started playing pool 22 years ago down here in south florida. I have been watching Toby play for that long and his cueball was perfect. I learned alot watching him play. When CJ Wiley came through Florida when he was young Toby was the only one to beat him. From about 1996 on Toby rarely practiced or played except the occasional road players that would come through. He would get up and play them most of the time even out of stroke. I asked Buddy Hall how good did Toby play at his best. Buddy said that when Toby was playing his best nobody could have given Toby the 8. That was with the old rules so make of that what you want but that is a strong statement coming from Buddy. When i was watching Toby play in the early 90's in the local tournaments every shot he took was from 2 feet away or less. He was really amazing
I don't want to really create a disagreement but I used to almost live in the Congress back then in the late 60's, early 70's. I was sitting there when Toby came in. This must have been another time from when you are referring. Mike did not know Toby by sight and made a phone call to confirm who Toby was. Once he was sure he wouldn't play. They never did play that time. Toby banged balls around on the front table for a while and left.

Last edited:

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Toby is a very good play he came to Nyc And could not get any action . I was told he was looking for Ginky .

Last edited:

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
9Toby is a very goo play he came to Nyc And could not get any action . I was told he was looking for Ginky .

I see u typed this after the bars closed,if u r meaning Toby was looking for GEORGE(ginky)last nite or this visit,i hope u were talking about years before,if not,then the jokes on you because i dont see the fun in it!

oldschool1478

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I lived on a boat at a dock behind Toby's apartment at Hallandale Beach, around 1988. Got to be good friends, but lost contact. Does he post on here?

Last edited:

git$um

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
toby meeting SVB and Dennis Orcullo up there for a ring 10 ball game $20,000 each winner take all.
race to 50.
today.

Realizm

I love cocobolo cues.
Silver Member
Oh sorry it was in 1996 and i do know Ginky has past and yes he was a very good friend Of mines . From the days of Chealsa Billiards , Golden cue to Masters. Till the year before he pasted when he played in the Sbe Expo. Sir i I lost a Great friend and Yes i Miss him When i go you NYC ....
Thank you ..

Ps the poolroom Was The Greenroom in westchester ( the one Jimmy Greek owned ) were Toby came to play The Ginkster at ..

TomHay

Best Tips For Less
Gold Member
Silver Member
A Tobby experiance:

About 14 years ago The MisCue in Pompano Florida had a $1,000.00 added 8 ball tournament, race to one, flip coin to break. Big turn out. I was hitting the ball real good that day. I had not missed one shot. At the end it was me and Tobby on the winners side and a Road Player from California on the losers side. Tobby had made the 8 in on the break at least twice that day. They flipped the coin, I just wanted to win the break but Tobby won. Sure enough, popped the 8 on the break. Now I have to play Road player from California, flip for break, he wins, break and run.

Tobby wins flip on California Road Player, wins flip, breaks and runs. Great news on my part, they only paid 1st and 2nd:D

Tobby went on to buy drinks for the house. By nights end he had spent all or the greater part of all the winnings buying drinks. I heard he had Hell to pay when he got home from the girl he was living with.:D

I never saw a wrinkled shirt Tobby wouldn't wear shooting pool.

thebighurt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Toby's only weakness was his break. He just didn't break like some of these monsters. That being said after the break he played as good as humanly possible. I can that over the last 22 years i have played and watched ALOT of great players and Toby in the early 90's had the best cueball of all of them and he was past his prime then.

richiebalto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Oh sorry it was in 1996 and i do know Ginky has past and yes he was a very good friend Of mines . From the days of Chealsa Billiards , Golden cue to Masters. Till the year before he pasted when he played in the Sbe Expo. Sir i I lost a Great friend and Yes i Miss him When i go you NYC ....
Thank you ..

Ps the poolroom Was The Greenroom in westchester ( the one Jimmy Greek owned ) were Toby came to play The Ginkster at ..

Thanks for your repost,i know iam nobody,but thank you for the rest of your story,Ginky was the man in NY and everywhere he played!

steveinflorida

Silver Member
I played Toby a race to 7 back in 96 (?). I managed to win 2 games. The rest of the race was all Toby. He had the cue ball on a string. It was like I was going to pool school. :embarrassed2:

Nostroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I heard he played Wincardona 2x way back and Billy never won a game. Just hearsay though.

skierlawyer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Does anyone know if he ever played with a Balabushka? Specifically, a titlest conversion with an extra long irish linen wrap? Plain black joint collars.