Top 10 Impressive and Easy Trick Shots Every Pool Player Should Know

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
The 1909 book by Joe Hood is the grandfather of all pool trick shot books. Here is a rough scan of it:
http://www.sfbilliards.com/HoodRoughScan.pdf
It was reprinted by Charlie Ursitti about 10 years ago. I may have an extra copy of the reprint and/or of the original.
Thanks for posting this Bob! Awesome book. All of the classic shots are in there. I guess that's why we call them "classics." There are also many I haven't seen before in other books or videos.

Regards,
Dave

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
#s 3 & 4 are pretty catchy. In #4, just looking at the cluster I wouldn't know which ball is going where. Although Ive seen it before, #3 still executes nicely.

Seen most, or variations of, all before.

While playing in several Queens, NY weekly tournaments during the late 90s, before and between games I would hang out with an old timer from the old days at Julians, called himself "Trick Shot" Monty. He was amazing and would still occasionally travel worldwide giving exhibitions. He would set up shots and ask everyone watching, remember these were tournament players, which ball(s) would get pocketed, and where. Some were so good that most could only guess, and wrongly more often.

One of his proposition shots that I found interesting, and which demonstrated his 3 cushion skills, was that he would start with a full, normal, rack of all 15 balls and explain that he would have to shoot every shot three rails, going up table from behind the foot string (same side as the rack), and would get ball in hand after each shot.. He would then ask you to pick any ball in the pack and decide which of the two lower corner pockets you wanted him to pocket it in. He would ask for 21 or 25 shots, but would go down to about 18 if he had to. Almost everyone would naturally pick either the center racked ball and either corner pocket, or pick a top ball on the left or right side of the stack and then pick the pocket on the opposite side, but it really didn't matter which ball or pocket you chose.. Once the ball and number of shots were decided he would go to work...3 rail bank the cue into the full stack, break open some balls, pick up the cue and stroke another 3 rail bank moving his ball closer or knocking others out of the way, until somewhere around shot number 12 you just knew that the ball you picked was going into the pocket you picked....everytime.

I've only tried it a few times and made it in 18 shots.

Sorry if I didn't explain it very well, and thank you for all the great advice and information you make available.

Jim

You explained it just fine Jimmy. I saw this particular gaff game being done by several old time players - Danny Gartner, Jimmy Moore, Weenie Beenie and even the infamous Pancho Carelli. They would typically get someone to give them 25 shots and cover all bets. I made the mistake of betting against Danny Gartner when I was still wet behind the ears, and after I saw him do it I never bet on that one again.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Which shot number(s) was(were) your favorite(s) in this video.
#s 3 & 4 are pretty catchy. In #4, just looking at the cluster I wouldn't know which ball is going where. Although Ive seen it before, #3 still executes nicely.
4. Jailed 8-ball in Any Pocket (3:32) is one of my favorites also because it is very reliable, and the fact that you can call the 8 in any pocket impresses spectators; and you can even have spectators shoot the shots that you call ... the shots don't require good aim or a good stroke.

Regards,
Dave

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member