Top 10 PROPOSITION SHOTS (that all pool players should know)

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Nicely done by Tim, although the CB's path isn't as curvy as he drew it - it goes crosstable in a pretty straight line.

I guess the steeper angle moves the banked ball out of the way faster - looks like you were onto it, Dave!

pj
chgo

View attachment 534819

Also from the steeper angle it looks like straight top spin would work. There is some curve to his cb path, a slight bend back toward that second rail. Halfway across the table the cb is about an inch more up table than where it is when it comes off the first cushion, and then it hits the second cushion lower again. The slight arc looks like top spin.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
That was me, and Bob could be right - I think the cue might have taken a little hop off the cushion and jumped a bit to clear the 2.
FYI, Dan Hosier just posted another video, where the CB hop is obvious:

https://youtu.be/afRyAceyMcM

Thank you to everybody for the insightful discussion.

Now let's hear about and see how to make all of the frozen-ball-challenge shots with legal hits.

Regards,
Dave

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I got the trick shot to work. For the life of me I couldn’t get it to work on my table. I could get the one ball to bank in over and over. But not go straight in. But when I watched my own video, I figured out a little trick!

https://youtu.be/ecrgoLRuzWc

-td

[edit: my table is a GC1 redone with diamond pocket specs with 4.5” pockets. I shot all the shots from the same spot, just below the rack on the center line of the table. At first, I couldn’t get the one ball to move far enough towards the pocket. But, I changed one small thing and the one ball goes just a bout every time. and the trick is something already present in the proposition shot video ;)]

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I got the trick shot to work. For the life of me I couldn’t get it to work on my table. I could get the one ball to bank in over and over. But not go straight in. But when I watched my own video, I figured out a little trick!

https://youtu.be/ecrgoLRuzWc

-td

[edit: my table is a GC1 redone with diamond pocket specs with 4.5” pockets. I shot all the shots from the same spot, just below the rack on the center line of the table. At first, I couldn’t get the one ball to move far enough towards the pocket. But, I changed one small thing and the one ball goes just a bout every time. and the trick is something already present in the proposition shot video ;)]
Thank you for posting. FYI, I added your video link to the YouTube video description along with the others.

I notice the CB is hopping off the cushion a little to help clear the double kiss.

Did you need to add chalk to CB-1-ball contact point or spit to the 1-2-ball contact point to get the shot to go? Is that the "little trick?" If not, please let us know what you did.

Thanks,
Dave

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
Thank you for posting. FYI, I added your video link to the YouTube video description along with the others.

I notice the CB is hopping off the cushion a little to help clear the double kiss.

Did you need to add chalk to CB-1-ball contact point or spit to the 1-2-ball contact point to get the shot to go? Is that the "little trick?" If not, please let us know what you did.

Thanks,
Dave
You got it! I added a little spit! I was able to make it once or twice without the spit, but they were not repeatable. With the help, I could make the one ball more times than not. :)

I did also notice the cue ball hop, but I couldn’t really tell if was necessary or if the shot would go without it. The balls are moving pretty fast. I watched the videos a number of times and couldn’t verify. I saw a lot of residual ball location in the frames. If I have time today, I’ll try to get a closer camera angle in slow mo to see if it is necessary.

-td

td873

C is for Cookie
Silver Member
I shot the trick shot numerous times in slow motion, with different perspectives. I am pretty confident that the hop is not necessary. Using the right speed, the one ball is well past the cue ball after rebound. The speed of the shot is crucial to ensure that the one ball rebounds quickly enough, and the cue ball also reacts with the right "tempo" for the shot.

I shot all of these without any spit/lubrication, and I was actually able to make the shot (once) like this. And, I made the one ball many times. So, upon rethinking and shooting this repeatedly, I now believe that the shot can be made using the right technique and nothing more.

Here is a slow-motion compilation showing that the hopping cue ball probably isn't necessary, but is a side effect of the top english on the shot.

https://youtu.be/PSvdk1Ok_fA

-td

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I shot the trick shot numerous times in slow motion, with different perspectives. I am pretty confident that the hop is not necessary. Using the right speed, the one ball is well past the cue ball after rebound. The speed of the shot is crucial to ensure that the one ball rebounds quickly enough, and the cue ball also reacts with the right "tempo" for the shot.

I shot all of these without any spit/lubrication, and I was actually able to make the shot (once) like this. And, I made the one ball many times. So, upon rethinking and shooting this repeatedly, I now believe that the shot can be made using the right technique and nothing more.

Here is a slow-motion compilation showing that the hopping cue ball probably isn't necessary, but is a side effect of the top english on the shot.

https://youtu.be/PSvdk1Ok_fA

-td
Excellent work, and good explanations. Thanks for doing this.

FYI, I added this link to the YouTube video description also.

Now get to work on the Frozen-Ball Challenge. :grin-square:

Best regards,
Dave

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
IMHO these really aren't proposition shots, since most of them involve something shady.

IMHO proposition shots were what Vernon used to shoot.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Last edited: