Top 10 Reasons to Use an Open Bridge

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that explains and demonstrates all advantages of an open bridge. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
1:00 – 1: Easy to Learn
1:50 – 2: Stable
2:24 – 3: Unobscured View
3:02 – 4: Accurate “V” Guide
3:29 – 5: Centered
4:17 – 6: Low Resistance
4:57 – 7: Versatile
5:37 – 8: More Reach
5:49 – 9: Accurate Pivots
6:31 – 10: Reveals Stroke Flaws
7:47 – Minor Disadvantages
8:33 – Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!

Rocket354

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great video, as always. I started with an open bridge as a teenager, then progressed to the point I was using a closed bridge almost exclusively, other than jacked up shots (draw shooting away from the rail, jump shots, over a ball, etc). Just the past 6 months or so I've been transitioning back to an open bridge. I'm currently about 50/50 but the open-bridge frequency might keep going up. My favorite aspect of the open bridge is the unobscured view, which I think was affecting my accuracy.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I use an open bridge on all shots except power shots.
I feel for me an open bridge gives me more feel and "touch".
On power shots I feel a closed bridge is more stable.
This is just my personal opinion, might not be right for others.

I personally think an open bridge can be more stable (stiffer, less flesh), but I can see how others might like how secure a closed bridge might feel.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Great video, as always. I started with an open bridge as a teenager, then progressed to the point I was using a closed bridge almost exclusively, other than jacked up shots (draw shooting away from the rail, jump shots, over a ball, etc). Just the past 6 months or so I've been transitioning back to an open bridge. I'm currently about 50/50 but the open-bridge frequency might keep going up. My favorite aspect of the open bridge is the unobscured view, which I think was affecting my accuracy.

The "unobscured view" is definitely the biggest advantage, especially with a low stance and for long shots.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
FYI, I just posted a new video that explains and demonstrates all advantages of an open bridge. Check it out:

Contents (with timestamp links):
0:00 – Intro
1:00 – 1: Easy to Learn
1:50 – 2: Stable
2:24 – 3: Unobscured View
3:02 – 4: Accurate “V” Guide
3:29 – 5: Centered
4:17 – 6: Low Resistance
4:57 – 7: Versatile
5:37 – 8: More Reach
5:49 – 9: Accurate Pivots
6:31 – 10: Reveals Stroke Flaws
7:47 – Minor Disadvantages
8:33 – Wrap Up

As always, I look forward to your feedback, comments, questions, complaints, and requests.

Enjoy!
I should have also included:
11: Works Well For Any Shaft Diameter

... but that would have been 11, which doesn't sound as good as 10! :unsure:

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
My problem using an open bridge on ‘power shots: While it may not affect the CB differently, the shaft often gets away and fouls adjoining OBs.

Good point. This can be an issue, especially with power shots with sidespin, and especially if the "V" is not very deep. I thought of including an example of this in the "Minor Disadvantages" section, but the video was already getting too long (and the video was more about advantages).

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
My problem using an open bridge on ‘power shots: While it may not affect the CB differently, the shaft often gets away and fouls adjoining OBs.
Good point. This can be an issue, especially with power shots with sidespin, and especially if the "V" is not very deep.
Being rooted in snooker myself my other points of direct contact on the cue prevent this problem. Both my chest and chin are holding the cue down as I'm shooting.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Being rooted in snooker myself my other points of direct contact on the cue prevent this problem. Both my chest and chin are holding the cue down as I'm shooting.

Good point. Thanks for the info.

DynoDan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ll have to try that, though us older guys may prefer a more comfortable/upright stance & old-school bridge when loading-up the stroke.
Interesting issue. Which is likely more restrictive: Friction from chin/chest, or added fingers? Lower ‘line-of-sight‘ may improve accuracy, but distress/distraction from arthritic spine may cancel.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
What ever work best for any given circumstance is the bridge I’m using. So I learned them all. That’s being a complete player.

Agreed. One must have a solid arsenal of bridges to handle various situations, but the focus of this video is normal shots (most pool shots), where there is a choice.

Last edited:

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
A lot of people read Mosconi's book and thought if you didn't emulate Willie
you were a sap. He rarely used an open bridge.

Agreed. It takes a long time to overcome powerful examples set like this.