Top 10 Secrets of a Good Draw Shot

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Samm Diep and I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 tips for improving your draw shot. Actually, most of the advice applies to all shots, but the focus is on how to get good draw. Here it is:

Check it out. The tips (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:

1. Chalk Up (0:40)
2. Aim Low and Carefully (1:28)
3. Warm-Up and Check (2:13)
---- 3a. Eye Pattern (2:36)
4. Keep Cue Level (3:36)
5. Go Back Slow (4:23)
6. Accelerate Smoothly (5:09)
---- 6a. Draw Distance Control (5:52)
7. Keep Your Grip Relaxed (6:48)
8. Be Still (8:52)
9. Don’t Drop Your Elbow (9:20)
10. Finish the Stroke (10:55)

Useful Draw Practice Drills (12:16)
---- side pocket drill (12:19)
---- BU Exam I - F4 - Progressive Practice drill (12:55)
---- Three-times-the-angle "good action" draw drill (13:42)

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the video.

Enjoy,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Samm Diep and I just posted a new video demonstrating the Top 10 tips for improving your draw shot. Actually, most of the advice applies to all shots, but the focus is on how to get good draw. Here it is:

Check it out. The tips (with YouTube time-stamp links) include:

1. Chalk Up (0:40)
2. Aim Low and Carefully (1:28)
3. Warm-Up and Check (2:13)
---- 3a. Eye Pattern (2:36)
4. Keep Cue Level (3:36)
5. Go Back Slow (4:23)
6. Accelerate Smoothly (5:09)
---- 6a. Draw Distance Control (5:52)
7. Keep Your Grip Relaxed (6:48)
8. Be Still (8:52)
9. Don’t Drop Your Elbow (9:20)
10. Finish the Stroke (10:55)

Useful Draw Practice Drills (12:16)
---- side pocket drill (12:19)
---- BU Exam I - F4 - Progressive Practice drill (12:55)
---- Three-times-the-angle "good action" draw drill (13:42)

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about the video.

Enjoy,
Dave
I have a lot more videos like this planned for the near future. Does anybody have any suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved?

Should I try to keep the videos shorter, or is this length OK?

Should I include lots of game situation examples, or is sticking to the important principles (without game examples) OK?

Are there any topics you really want to see covered in detail?

Do you have any other advice or recommendations?

Thanks,
Dave

strmanglr scott

All about Focus
Silver Member
I watched that last night, good stuff. I know a couple people who will get a lot out of it.

Thought the length was good.

Overall good presentation.

I think draw should be paired with stop and follow. It's a skill set that is critical to CB control.

Game situation shots show the why the skill is important. It's the benefit. I've been in sales for 20 years. The same reason exists for everything that is sold, the benefit to the consumer. You in a way Dave are selling a feature people should have in their game, the benefit to the player is shown. I buy in and continue to watch your video and look forward to the next.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I watched that last night, good stuff. I know a couple people who will get a lot out of it.

Thought the length was good.

Overall good presentation.
Thanks.

I think draw should be paired with stop and follow. It's a skill set that is critical to CB control.
I think I cover this fairly well in the following video:

But please let me know if you think I left out anything important.

Game situation shots show the why the skill is important. It's the benefit. I've been in sales for 20 years. The same reason exists for everything that is sold, the benefit to the consumer. You in a way Dave are selling a feature people should have in their game, the benefit to the player is shown. I buy in and continue to watch your video and look forward to the next.

I'm glad to hear it.

Thank you for your input,
Dave

pab

Center ball can do it all
Silver Member
Suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved? - I think the presentation style is terrific. It kept me engaged and focused.

Is the length OK? - The length was perfect. It was like a woman's skirt - short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject.

Include game situation examples or no? - Definitely include game situation examples and in a way that the underlying concepts can be recognized in similar situations too.

Are there any topics that should be covered in detail? - I think you covered everything well. I didn't know about lining up the stripes trick to see if is a 1/2-ball in section 2 - that was cool.

Do you have any other advice or recommendations? - Maybe post on here before your next video, reveal the subject and ask for any tips. You'll probably already have most or all of the material already set, but there may be information or ideas in the responses that you'll want to include in the video. Maybe not, too. :)

For example, I remember a tip from another video regarding the draw shot (Ray Martin maybe?) where he suggests picturing the CB about 6" in front of where it actually is and pretend to stroke towards that CB. It can help with the follow through and to ensure you accelerate the cue through the CB. Whether you would include that or not would of course be your call, but it might reveal some things that weren't originally considered.

Overall, I think your work is terrific. It has helped me tremendously and I'm very grateful. Thank you.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved? - I think the presentation style is terrific. It kept me engaged and focused.

Is the length OK? - The length was perfect. It was like a woman's skirt - short enough to be interesting, long enough to cover the subject.

Include game situation examples or no? - Definitely include game situation examples and in a way that the underlying concepts can be recognized in similar situations too.

Are there any topics that should be covered in detail? - I think you covered everything well. I didn't know about lining up the stripes trick to see if is a 1/2-ball in section 2 - that was cool.

Do you have any other advice or recommendations? - Maybe post on here before your next video, reveal the subject and ask for any tips. You'll probably already have most or all of the material already set, but there may be information or ideas in the responses that you'll want to include in the video. Maybe not, too. :)

For example, I remember a tip from another video regarding the draw shot (Ray Martin maybe?) where he suggests picturing the CB about 6" in front of where it actually is and pretend to stroke towards that CB. It can help with the follow through and to ensure you accelerate the cue through the CB. Whether you would include that or not would of course be your call, but it might reveal some things that weren't originally considered.

Overall, I think your work is terrific. It has helped me tremendously and I'm very grateful. Thank you.
Thank you for the feedback and suggestions. I appreciate it.

Great idea about posting my future video plans for input before I film. I've done that for other videos in the past, and it was helpful.

Good extra advice concerning draw (stroke to imaginary CB past actual CB).

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Hit it low.
... with the right speed, and without miscuing; and draw the CB the desired amount; and do all of this with accuracy and consistency. For the people who have trouble with any of this, the advice in the video can help.

Regards,
Dave

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Draw is harder to control then follow IMHO. :). Being really good at anything, in most cases requires time, practice, and effort.

The one thing you can be great at that requires zero effort is failure.:wink:

BC21

https://www.playpoolbetter.com
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another good video, Dave.

I always favored this little draw challenge:

Place a ball on the foot spot and place the cb about 8 inches away, lined up to shoot the ball straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Draw the cb back about 6 to 8 inches and leave the cb where it stops, then spot another ball and shoot it the same way, drawing the cb back and shooting the next shot again from wherever the cb ends up. See how many shots you can make before getting so far out of line that the cb ends up hitting a rail.

This helps with develop a consistent short draw, but also helps develop aiming accuracy.

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
Another good video, Dave.
Thanks Brian.

I always favored this little draw challenge:

Place a ball on the foot spot and place the cb about 8 inches away, lined up to shoot the ball straight into one of the nearest corner pockets. Draw the cb back about 6 to 8 inches and leave the cb where it stops, then spot another ball and shoot it the same way, drawing the cb back and shooting the next shot again from wherever the cb ends up. See how many shots you can make before getting so far out of line that the cb ends up hitting a rail.

This helps with develop a consistent short draw, but also helps develop aiming accuracy.
That is a good one.

Best regards,
Dave

dr_dave

Instructional Author
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have a lot more videos like this planned for the near future. Does anybody have any suggestions for how the presentation style might be improved?

Should I try to keep the videos shorter, or is this length OK?

Should I include lots of game situation examples, or is sticking to the important principles (without game examples) OK?

Are there any topics you really want to see covered in detail?

Do you have any other advice or recommendations?
Anybody else have any useful input or advice, based on this most-recent video?

Thanks,
Dave

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
[

For some reason, as I read this, I envisioned Dr Dave playing pool in a skirt! What do you say Dave? Might increase your video views! Lol.

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all seriousness though, in #6, you say to increase your bridge length to get cue lower. It has another advantage...at least for me. It increases your sight radius. I seem to be more accurate with a longer bridge and gripping to the back of the cue. Downside is a longer bridge also exacerbates a poor stroke and therefore cue tip delivery.

Stretch

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody else have any useful input or advice, based on this most-recent video?

Thanks,
Dave

Hi Dave, very good Vid and will help a lot of people! Some advice i usually give to players that are not getting the most out of their draw stroke is to visualize the object ball just beyond where the ball actually is. If you do this you will immediately see what i mean. St.