Top Coat Finish

Shadowcue

I am new to this forum. I have never made a cue but I am trying to find out some of the different material used in the construction of custom cues.

What is the best material to use for a top coat or finish of a cue? What is the best way to apply it?

The reason I ask these questions is I am working at a local pool hall repairing cues putting tips on and cleaning shafts. I can do raps but haven't yet and I had a customer ask me how I would refinish his cue to take out some of the chips in his finish. This is a production Lucasi Cue. I told him how I would do it but was unsure of what type of material I would use to refinish it. I have some idea of what I might use maybe some clear varnish use for wood. I just would like to know what the experts had to say.

Thanks
ShadowCue

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Shadow, Try usuing the search option. There's a lot of information. A few members were kind enough to describe their preparation and painting procedure in detail. The guys I know use automotive fast dry clear coat for finish, Dupont Hyper cure. It can only be sprayed. Best regards, Martin

Shadowcue said:
I am new to this forum. I have never made a cue but I am trying to find out some of the different material used in the construction of custom cues.

What is the best material to use for a top coat or finish of a cue? What is the best way to apply it?

The reason I ask these questions is I am working at a local pool hall repairing cues putting tips on and cleaning shafts. I can do raps but haven't yet and I had a customer ask me how I would refinish his cue to take out some of the chips in his finish. This is a production Lucasi Cue. I told him how I would do it but was unsure of what type of material I would use to refinish it. I have some idea of what I might use maybe some clear varnish use for wood. I just would like to know what the experts had to say.

Thanks
ShadowCue

Tony Zinzola

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Actually, there are some people who brush on the automotive finish. I'm not one of them, so I'm not sure how they do it, but I know of at least two people that do it that way.

WheatCues

Banned
Shadowcue said:

Thanks
ShadowCue

We all use professional automotive urethanes

Buying expensive urethanes is a complete waste of money and give you no better results due to the fact that the cue will never be exposed to direct sunlight for any length of time and the amount of clear that is actually bonded with the cue...

Inexpensive urethanes are fantastic and durable and will achieve the same results, I use a 2-part mix and you can easily buy a gallon for under 100.00 I use "NASON select-clear" and have for years and have had wonderful and durable results.

I strongly suggest you use a topfeed spray gun attached to an air-compressor to apply it with... automotive urethanes require fusion generated by atleast 45psi to properly apply it to the surface and you can only achieve it with an HVLP sprayer or any finishing sprayer or touch up gun that requires an air feed.

The most important aspect to achieving optimum results is how you prep the surface before spraying and the way you wetsand and buffout the finish and what type of polishing paste you use !

I recommend "Finesse-it II" for for polish and wetsand with no lower than 1200g sandpaper !

Applying the finish and getting optimum results takes years to perfect and every cuemaker struggles with this, and eventually we develop our own little techniques that give us flawless end results....

Remember the key is: how you prep the surface before spraying and the way you wetsand the finish and the type of polish you use to buff it out !

Goodluck !

Sincerely, Eddie Wheat

Last edited:

Bill the Cat

Proud maker of CAT cues
Silver Member
WheatCues said:
We all use professional automotive urethanes

No we don't ;) Some of us use less toxic water based products.

However, I do agree that the key to a good finish is in the surface prep!

brianna187

BRIANNA SINCE 1988
Silver Member
final sand before finish no finer then 240 grit anything finer will not give proper grip to the wood

cuewould

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
final grit

What about 320 to fine? Thats what I use on my cabinets . But I'm spraying acid cat conversion varnish...

WheatCues

Banned
cuewould said:
What about 320 to fine? Thats what I use on my cabinets . But I'm spraying acid cat conversion varnish...[/QUOTE

I use 320g between applications and have always had great results.... the only problem you may have with using anything coarser is sanding marks !

- Eddie Wheat

Last edited:

WheatCues

Banned
BarenbruggeCues said:
Are you absolutely sure about that?

Well if your using brush on varnish or floor urethane than you aren't going to get the depth of lustre or the lifespand and it will discolor under UV florescent bulbs alot of the poolrooms have for their table lights !!!

The only response I have ever gotten across the board from anyone reputable I have talked to uses PROFESSIONAL URETHANES unless you don't care about expansion and contraction of the wood due to climate changes and have your ringwork swell out on you !

Remember automotive urethanes are designed to handle temperature fluctuations and this should be taken into consideration long after the cue has left your shop especially when nickel rings are used !!!

As far as water based urethanes used on cues... I have no comment and do not support or recommend them !

- Eddie Wheat

Last edited:

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
WheatCues said:
The only response I have ever gotten across the board from anyone reputable I have talked to uses PROFESSIONAL URETHANES unless you don't care about expansion and contraction of the wood due to climate changes and have your ringwork swell out on you !

- Eddie Wheat

So what are you saying ..........if I don't use them, I'm not as professional as the rest?

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Finishes

- Eddie Wheat[/QUOTE]

WOW. I guess that Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Lexis, etc. don't have a clue about using water based finishes. Hmmm, interesting.

Bob Flynn
denalicues.com
International Cuemakers Assoc.

WheatCues

Banned
BarenbruggeCues said:
Your absolutely correct.................you don't want to go there.

Look if you want to talk here's my number 321-631-1827

I'm trying to helpful not insulting so please DO NOT even start manipulating my words and intentions !

I will not get into a pissing contest with anyone on here anymore... I am over the cheapshots and childish behaivor some of you like to display and provoke of me....

I think that's a reasonable request !

Sincerely, Eddie Wheat

QMAKER

LIVE FREE OR DIE
Silver Member
Edit Post

Make that LEXUS, not Lexis. Tsk, Tsk shame on me.

Bob Flynn
denalicues.com
International Cuemakers Assoc.[/QUOTE]

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
WheatCues said:
I'm trying to helpful not insulting so please DO NOT even start manipulating my words and intentions !

Sincerely, Eddie Wheat

I'm not manipulating anything.......I think you need to go back and reread some of your 250+ posts and then tell us your not insulting or talking down to people. The best part is, of all the FL cuemakers I talk to, more than a couple, no has ever heard of you before the great internet.
I'm not saying that you haven't existed...I just feel you may misguide a few with your helpful hints. Being helpful is one thing...spouting crap off that you don't have clue about is another.

<~~~not quite sure what a pissing match is................

WheatCues

Banned
clarification of professional urethanes

I feel there is a certain amount of misconception here, so I will do my best to be precise with my context !

Professional automotive urethanes have consistantly shown extreme durability, lustre and longevity over the years and have been around the longest as far as practical application is concerened !

Yes there are newer modern more environmentally safe urethanes available that are professional grade !

Now this is where the point was lost in previous posts: If we professional cuemakers have utilized a certain type of urethane for many many years and we struggled through many countless apllications to achieve our techniques to ensure optimum end results everytime we use it.... then why the hell would we want to fix something that isn't broke ?????

I am not saying you are wrong for using the newer "safer" product but us "old school" users know what kind of consistant quality you can achieve with the what we use..

And when it comes to giving advice and referencing what we use... as in all of us "professional cuesmiths" obviously you can't include every single one, so I should have said is most all of us who use automotive urethanes suggest it...

I think the critiquing was uneccessary however it was warranted..... for those of you who have mastered the water based urethanes and they are working for you consistantly with wood/metal application, that's great !

There's always more than one way to get there,and when someone asks advice and I can help them, I give only what I KNOW works and knowlege I have gained and shared with other fellow professionals over the years..

I haven't talked to any cuemaker who uses water-based urethanes, so I can not suggest something I do not have knowledge of or do not use myself or will ever use or support becasue my current system works well for "me" an many other cuemakers as well !

And once again, I was not trying to offend anyone !

Thanks, Eddie Wheat

Last edited:

WheatCues

Banned
BarenbruggeCues said:
I'm not manipulating anything.......I think you need to go back and reread some of your 250+ posts and then tell us your not insulting or talking down to people. The best part is, of all the FL cuemakers I talk to, more than a couple, no has ever heard of you before the great internet.
I'm not saying that you haven't existed...I just feel you may misguide a few with your helpful hints. Being helpful is one thing...spouting crap off that you don't have clue about is another.

<~~~not quite sure what a pissing match is................

becasue I was being very patient about my cuemaking and wanted to remain on a local level until I perfected my formula....

And just recently I went national !

There's a few fl cuemakers I haven't heard of either, probably because we really don't give a damn... this is huge market and no one is stepping on anyone else's toes "yet"

by the way, since you won't call me... give me your number and I'll call you and we can have a civil discussion about urethanes instead of you trying to be cool and score points with others by lashing out and scolding me and treating me like I'm a rookie on AZ !

Fair enough ?

Sincerely, Eddie Wheat

BarenbruggeCues

Unregistered User
Silver Member
WheatCues said:
by the way, since you won't call me... give me your number and I'll call you and we can have a civil discussion about urethanes instead of you trying to be cool and score points with others by lashing out and scolding me and treating me like I'm a rookie on AZ !

Fair enough ?

Sincerely, Eddie Wheat

Like I'm suppose to drop what I'm doing and "give you a ring"? These are exactly the kind of responses I'm talking about. Civil? Now, I'm not being civil? See what I'm talking about? You really don't have a clue, do you?
I'm not hard to find.......but I can tell you right now if you think I'm not being civil here then you sure don't want call me.
Being cool? scoring points? What, are you stuck in high school?
You think I'm lashing out and scolding you now...........?

All I have to say to you is this........treating me like I'm a rookie

If the shoe fits.................