Top Players that use Southwest cues

maxeypad2007

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Given how prized these cues are and how well they play I'm kind of suprised more "top" well known players don't use these cues.

Anybody know of any? I know tommy kennedy did at one point
 
I've got an original southwest and it does hit great, however, the first time I used a Josey cue, I never returned. I had even bought a custom built P314 shaft for my southwest. I also hear the new southwests do not hit anything like the Franklin originals.

Yes, Tommy did last I saw him. I even tried to sell him my southwest, but he backed down at $3k. Bruce Berrong used a southwest for years, but now is strictly Josey cues.
 
Last edited:
Jimmy Wetch plays with a Kersenbrock. Troy Frank used a Kersenbrock until Capone became his cue of choice. Southwest and older Kersenbrock cues share a great deal in common. Mark Ransom, a strong New England player and Joss tour regular played with a beautiful Southwest (and may still).
 
nineballman said:
I've got an original southwest and it does hit great, however, the first time I used a Josey cue, I never returned. I had even bought a custom built P314 shaft for my southwest. I also hear the new southwests do not hit anything like the Franklin originals.

Yes, Tommy did last I saw him. I even tried to sell him my southwest, but he backed down at $3k. Bruce Berrong used a southwest for years, but now is strictly Josey cues.

I never thought that Bruce played as well with the Southwest as he did with other cues. He had an Its George that he seemed to play really well with. I think it was stolen.
He played with a Schon of mine for a little while and IMO played the best that I had seen him play.
He also used his brothers Rick Howard semi sneaky-pete and seemed to really like it. I have to admit that cue hit great.

Good players IMO can play well with almost anything. Its the little differences that only they would recognize that would be the difference.
 
Allen Hopkins had the first one I ever saw, but sold it not too soon after. At the prices you could get for them, most players would sell them and get the money instead of keeping them. Dawn Hopkins played with one for several years before she and Allen married. Lenny Loder, from the New England area, had the second one I saw but the next time I saw him, he'd sold it.
 
I owned Allan Kersenbrock It was a basic cue that hit REALLY GOOD, and Jimmy now plays with a schon
 
I thought that Chohan used a Bobby Hunter that said "T-Rex" on it the last couple of years. Was the Southwest before or after that?
 
Pushout said:
Lenny Loder, from the New England area, had the second one I saw but the next time I saw him, he'd sold it.

Name from the past...Lenny "Jingles" Loder, played ok 3 cushion and shortstop speed 9-Ball. Rep points for a blast from the past!!!
 
SW's are popular with the Asian Pros. World Champions Wu Chia Ching and Fong Pang Chao both play with them.
 
Actually I heard that Wu Chia Ching plays with a SW lookalike cue that's made by his dad. I don't know if that is true.

I'm not sure about Fong Pang Chao --- I thought he played with a ginacue. I know that Yang Ching Shun for sure plays with a SW though -- ebony into purpleheart.
 
Ginky played with a southwest in the early 90's when I met him. Actually had a great relationship with jerry get new cues all the time. Play with them, and then turn em over. About 2 years ago he went back to sw, and then to a tasc and skip weston.

Allen Hopkins now plays with a traditional looking chudy.

Rg
 
Half Right

raemondo said:
Actually I heard that Wu Chia Ching plays with a SW lookalike cue that's made by his dad. I don't know if that is true.

I'm not sure about Fong Pang Chao --- I thought he played with a ginacue. I know that Yang Ching Shun for sure plays with a SW though -- ebony into purpleheart.

You are right about Chao & Yang. I had them confused. But Wu's SW is the real deal.
 
Back
Top