touch of inside. CJ has me hooked

phreaticus

My thought is that this will rarely be true and on average makes the CIT greater for most shots as well as harder to judge/predict.

Outside english (but only the correct amount) can negate CIT because it "gears" across the object ball thereby eliminating CIT. Not enough outside however and you reduce and but don't eliminate throw, and too much outside english and you can actually go the other way on certain rarer shots (usually fuller, softer shots with dirtier balls etc) and even end up on net creating spin induced throw in the other direction but this would be rare. Outside typically reduces or negates throw.

A tough of inside is not only not a gearing english, but it is the exact opposite of gearing english and wants to do the exact opposite of what gearing does (gearing wants to decrease throw, inside wants to increase throw), so on most shots you are actually increasing the net throw because you have all the CIT plus now you have some SIT in the same direction on top of it for a net increase. On some rarer inside english shots (usually very thin shots with lots of inside english being used) you may occasionally get to a point where the friction between the balls ends up with a net decrease which in turn decreases the CIT (very rarely to almost negating it), but this is rarer (and all but never happens if only a touch of inside is used) and most often TOI is going to increase your net throw because you are combing CIT and SIT both in the same direction.

Deflection of course is a whole separate thing and how that affects things depends on the speed of the hit, the distance of the shot, whether and how much swerve has started to happen, etc, and I think in this case they have to be isolated from each other and their effects looked at individually. The above is how english affects things. How deflection and swerve affect things has a bunch of variables and is very shot specific.
Thats a lot of thoughts 😁 Not sure I can follow all of that…

Gearing & throw work in both side directions, as well as the vertical axis, and is a function of many things, speed, angle, etc. Honestly I rarely if ever think about CIT/SIT at all when shooting, unless on the rare awkward shot that must be thrown in because you can’t quite see enough of the OB.

To me TOI is more of a center ball CB technique that minorly chips balls in from the inside out, like golf wedges, tennis slicing, and blunt toe kicks in soccer. As mentioned already, one of the main benefits is it essentially allows one to use the 90 deg tangent/stun line to very predictably get around the table. I think some of us find that a mostly sliding (floating) CB is less susceptible to cloth conditions and less CB spin is easier to manage CB speed more consistently. At least thats been my experience.

Its also worth pointing out that even with so called perfect “center CB” hits, depending on how exactly one strikes the ball, its the inner edge of the cue tip that contacts the CB, which is often all the TOI one needs to get around well. Of course its not a religion - I happily spin balls in with outside if needed, but usually not much is needed & perhaps only 10-20% of all shots.

My take. Cheers

Last edited:

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I believe the main reason for using TOI is that most people tend to undercut shots. When hitting with inside the squirt works in your favor to hit a shot thinner that you would normally hit too thick. Also when aiming at center ball you have less of an error zone because you may hit center ball, outside, or inside when making slight cueing errors. When using TOI if you dont strike the cue ball perfectly you will be center ball at worst, right at your TOI spot if you hit it well or slightly too much inside if you miss opposite center ball side which would cause you to hit object ball even thinner than necessary taking care of the problem of cutting too thick.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
...when aiming at center ball you have less of an error zone because you may hit center ball, outside, or inside when making slight cueing errors. When using TOI if you dont strike the cue ball perfectly you will be center ball at worst, right at your TOI spot if you hit it well or slightly too much inside if you miss opposite center ball side which would cause you to hit object ball even thinner than necessary taking care of the problem of cutting too thick.
I can see how this sounds reasonable, but your chance of missing the shot because of stroke error are really the same either way. This is the wrong place to get into it, but look up old TOI threads posted by CJ Wiley in the Aiming forum to see lots of discussion.

pj
chgo