touch of inside. CJ has me hooked

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I usually am on board with CJ, but not understanding this TOI. I know this is an old thread and haven’t seen CJ post lately, but wouldn’t where you hit whitey depend on where you want the CB to go for position? Is this just used on the money ball? What am I missing? Thanks!

Look it up on his youtube channels, it's gone over in depth there. Probably more info on his subscription site or through his DVDs, but the youtube content is really good too.

Bobkitty

I said: "Here kitty, kitty". Got this frown.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to think TOI just means the cue stick will actually "push" the CB out to make a thinner cut on the OB. Most people when they miss undercut so the "thinner" cut accommodates this miss.

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
The direction and amount of spin should be determined by where the CB needs to go, not arbitrarily by your system.

pj
chgo
We're on the same page. Systems might get you close but it's up to us to make the real shot. I prefer "feel." Visualization, contact geometry, whatever you call it. HAMB and take a few tips from various systems here and there.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Systems might get you close but it's up to us to make the real shot.
Yes, it's up to the player to finalize the aim line with every aiming system (even the ones "from another dimension"). Which system the player works best with (or none) is a matter of personal preference, not a measure of any system's "accuracy".

pj
chgo

Last edited:

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes.

TOI's concepts are, um, controversial.

pj
chgo
Touch of outside works too.
Screenshot_20220509-142003.jpg

phreaticus

Has anyone tried a stun shot with a bit of TOI?
Yes, of course. I play TOI style and one way to think about it, is that the system is essentially basically stunning your way around the table. Some old timers used to call it dead balling. A mostly sliding CB post OB contact is one of the main aspects of the approach. It definitely takes some time to get used to, and debatably- isn’t really inside spin, but more of a cueing technique IMO. Cheers

phreaticus

...that produces inside spin.

pj
chgo
Just enough to negate CIT and post contact spin on the CB, and result in a largely flat, sliding CB and slightly changes the OB shotline. Which isn't how many folks think of inside spin. Also, if talking about CJ's approach, it's also connected to speed and style of stroke and some alignment/aiming/stroking issues that overall result in a different style of play, which makes it all very hard to describe and as mentioned takes quite a bit of time on the table to fully grok. I think you are exceedingly well documented around here as not buying into any of this type stuff, and that's just fine, no need to elaborate more on your perspectives, at least not for me. Thanks and cheers.

phreaticus

Am I understanding you correctly that you are claiming that a touch of inside english negates cut induced throw?
Yeah. Or said another way, TOI uses a bit of defection vs throw, which is what a bit of the common outside does. Its not the only thing going on with TOI, but it’s one of the things. Thoughts?

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Yeah. Or said another way, TOI uses a bit of defection vs throw, which is what a bit of the common outside does. Its not the only thing going on with TOI, but it’s one of the things. Thoughts?
My thought is that this will rarely be true and on average makes the CIT greater for most shots as well as harder to judge/predict.

Outside english (but only the correct amount) can negate CIT because it "gears" across the object ball thereby eliminating CIT. Not enough outside however and you reduce and but don't eliminate throw, and too much outside english and you can actually go the other way on certain rarer shots (usually fuller, softer shots with dirtier balls etc) and even end up on net creating spin induced throw in the other direction but this would be rare. Outside typically reduces or negates throw.

A tough of inside is not only not a gearing english, but it is the exact opposite of gearing english and wants to do the exact opposite of what gearing does (gearing wants to decrease throw, inside wants to increase throw), so on most shots you are actually increasing the net throw because you have all the CIT plus now you have some SIT in the same direction on top of it for a net increase. On some rarer inside english shots (usually very thin shots with lots of inside english being used) you may occasionally get to a point where the friction between the balls ends up with a net decrease which in turn decreases the CIT (very rarely to almost negating it), but this is rarer (and all but never happens if only a touch of inside is used) and most often TOI is going to increase your net throw because you are combing CIT and SIT both in the same direction.

Deflection of course is a whole separate thing and how that affects things depends on the speed of the hit, the distance of the shot, whether and how much swerve has started to happen, etc, and I think in this case they have to be isolated from each other and their effects looked at individually. The above is how english affects things. How deflection and swerve affect things has a bunch of variables and is very shot specific.

Last edited:

chas1022

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Let's see . . . this thread stopped in May of 2020. A Chas1022 Rip van Winkle effect causes it to leap from the past into May of 2022.

They could base a feature film script on this time dilation phenomenon. Oh wait, . . . that's exactly how "Color of Money" came to be when they fast-forwarded Fast Eddie. He goes from drinking too much liquor to play good, to selling plenty of liquor and staking a kid who does play good.

Arnaldo ~ Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose (reversed)
I just asked a simple question