Tough decision to make. Justis or Whitten.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So I recently picked up a Justis Pro Lite and a Whitten case. Both are 2x4. I originally picked up the Justis because I always thought they looked amazing (and they are). Then I read so much about how good the Whitten cases are so I figured I'd better check those out too and I could sell the one I didn't want. Problem is I like them both.

The Justis looks simply gorgeous, it oozes quality. The leather is awesome with great coloration and the attention to detail is evident everywhere. It's also lighter then the Whitten by 1lb 4oz. You can really tell the difference, though I rarely travel far with my case so it isn't a huge deal to me. The pockets are also nice and large, thought the zippers don't give a huge opening to get things in and out.

The Whitten is in an alligator print leather. It looks surprising good, but it just doesn't have the same awesome look of the Justis. The case is heavy at 5lbs but it truly feels like you could drive over this thing and your cues would be fine. Solid is an understatement on this one. I also love the custom spacers and the springyness of them. The cues don't rattle around at all. The pockets are slightly smaller then the Justis but they open much wider so things are easier to get to. The Whitten is also significantly less expensive.

So, is there anyone who has both of these or had them both and went one way or the other? What was your reasoning? I really thought once I had them both it would be any easy decision but that isn't proving to be the case. I really like them both but I only need one. Truly the cost isn't a huge issue because if I go Whitten I will actually be custom ordering one with the options I want (top handle, jump butt pouch, etc.). The cost would add up and while still cheaper then the Justis, not by much in the end.
 
So I recently picked up a Justis Pro Lite and a Whitten case. Both are 2x4. I originally picked up the Justis because I always thought they looked amazing (and they are). Then I read so much about how good the Whitten cases are so I figured I'd better check those out too and I could sell the one I didn't want. Problem is I like them both.

The Justis looks simply gorgeous, it oozes quality. The leather is awesome with great coloration and the attention to detail is evident everywhere. It's also lighter then the Whitten by 1lb 4oz. You can really tell the difference, though I rarely travel far with my case so it isn't a huge deal to me. The pockets are also nice and large, thought the zippers don't give a huge opening to get things in and out.

The Whitten is in an alligator print leather. It looks surprising good, but it just doesn't have the same awesome look of the Justis. The case is heavy at 5lbs but it truly feels like you could drive over this thing and your cues would be fine. Solid is an understatement on this one. I also love the custom spacers and the springyness of them. The cues don't rattle around at all. The pockets are slightly smaller then the Justis but they open much wider so things are easier to get to. The Whitten is also significantly less expensive.

So, is there anyone who has both of these or had them both and went one way or the other? What was your reasoning? I really thought once I had them both it would be any easy decision but that isn't proving to be the case. I really like them both but I only need one. Truly the cost isn't a huge issue because if I go Whitten I will actually be custom ordering one with the options I want (top handle, jump butt pouch, etc.). The cost would add up and while still cheaper then the Justis, not by much in the end.

Gotta ask yourself, how much more are you REALLY getting by buying the Justis over the Whitten? Why spend more on a case when you can spend less and get better functionality? And I think you realize this, too.

Function over fashion.
 
I've always preferred the Whitten style over the Justis. Clean, classic styling, never dated.

So far as protection, I think they both do the job well. Pretty much leaving you with the style, over fuction, as they both suffice.
 
i like them both and own multiples of both but my daily case is a 3x6 justis pro-lite. i have always preferred the "it's george" method of holding the cues over the tube method. this is just my opinion.

guy
 
yes, taking a little break. just watching shane vs pam treadway. was talking to ron thomas, joe whitten, and jack justis today and i agree, all three make great cases. this one really is a matter of personal preference. the justis have a little more "bling" but it doesn't take away from the protection. and all three are starting to use better leathers with more textures. you can now get whittens and thomas leather inlays. all three had some great examples of their work.

guy
 
Seems to me this is one of the "good" problems to have. I mean, how can you lose no matter which you choose?
 
Justis or Whitten

Oh this is easy for me, David Justice is a clear cut choice. He could hit for average, power and plus he was an awsome outfielder with an above average arm. Mark Whitten was almost exclusivly a DH. He hit a bunch of HRs in the late 90's but god help you if the ball was hit to him. Besides, Mark Whitten never hooked up with Halle Berry. At one time DJ had his autograph tattooed on Berry's A**. I doubt it's still their though.
I hope this helps.
 
So I recently picked up a Justis Pro Lite and a Whitten case. Both are 2x4. I originally picked up the Justis because I always thought they looked amazing (and they are). Then I read so much about how good the Whitten cases are so I figured I'd better check those out too and I could sell the one I didn't want. Problem is I like them both.

The Justis looks simply gorgeous, it oozes quality. The leather is awesome with great coloration and the attention to detail is evident everywhere. It's also lighter then the Whitten by 1lb 4oz. You can really tell the difference, though I rarely travel far with my case so it isn't a huge deal to me. The pockets are also nice and large, thought the zippers don't give a huge opening to get things in and out.

The Whitten is in an alligator print leather. It looks surprising good, but it just doesn't have the same awesome look of the Justis. The case is heavy at 5lbs but it truly feels like you could drive over this thing and your cues would be fine. Solid is an understatement on this one. I also love the custom spacers and the springyness of them. The cues don't rattle around at all. The pockets are slightly smaller then the Justis but they open much wider so things are easier to get to. The Whitten is also significantly less expensive.

So, is there anyone who has both of these or had them both and went one way or the other? What was your reasoning? I really thought once I had them both it would be any easy decision but that isn't proving to be the case. I really like them both but I only need one. Truly the cost isn't a huge issue because if I go Whitten I will actually be custom ordering one with the options I want (top handle, jump butt pouch, etc.). The cost would add up and while still cheaper then the Justis, not by much in the end.

This is easy! You've actually answered your own question here. YOU KEEP THEM BOTH! Later on you will acquire a cue to put in the case you aren't currently using. This is how collections begin and collectors are made. Seems like an accident huh? We all know you secretly wanted them both anyway. Why else would you be telling us this?

Now keep them, find that cue and then go to work on your next one. By the way, this is not a bad investment to make either.

This is an unpaid commercial for the billiard industry. :groucho:
 
KEEP THEM BOTH AND GET MORE CUES..... :eek:
When both are full, get a JB case as well...

I would go with protection over looks and from your post it sounds that the Whitten is more protective.
 
This is easy! You've actually answered your own question here. YOU KEEP THEM BOTH! Later on you will acquire a cue to put in the case you aren't currently using. This is how collections begin and collectors are made. Seems like an accident huh? We all know you secretly wanted them both anyway. Why else would you be telling us this?

Now keep them, find that cue and then go to work on your next one. By the way, this is not a bad investment to make either.

This is an unpaid commercial for the billiard industry. :groucho:
Great idea Jay. If you can afford it get both.

Reminds me of when a friend gave me a new tackle box for my birthday. Cost him $30 and it cost me $500 to fill it and didn't need any of it. Sure was fun though.

I went to Justis first when I needed a case unfortunately I needed oversize tubes (use rubber grips) and I wanted a pocket to carry my 3C balls. He couldn't do that. Guess who he recommended? Had it for two years now and looks like new.
 
I prefer the Whitten. If weight is an issue, Whitten is now offering a lightweight model. It is a tight look that I prefer and after 23 years of use, my oldest Whitten still looks new. No sagging or bulging, just a great look.
 
Apples and Oranges. They are two different cases. Personally I prefer the look of the Whitten over the Justis. All of my personal cases I have built for myself over the years have been more in the sleeker look that Whitten has.

Both cases are super classy. Both have about the same level of protection.

If you want to look at it from a financial point of view, the Justis will probably appreciate in value since Jack has said he won't be making many more. The Whitten probably won't appreciate in value since Joe is carrying on the family tradition in a fine way.

Personally, I'd keep them both as Jay says. Unless you REALLY need the money, just keep them both and when you feel like it switch cases.
 
Well, here is a pictures of them side by side:

dsc2190.jpg



Here is a thread I started on the Justis as well.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135012&highlight=justis

I used the Whitten yesterday and the Justis today and damn it if I don't like them both. I think I have it all figured out and then I change my mind again. Aaahhh...I really can't keep them both as much as I would like to, just can't afford it right now. The Justis is already more expensive then my playing cue, my break cue and my jump cue all put together.

We'll see which one I load up tomorrow and take with me.
 
Well, here is a pictures of them side by side:

dsc2190.jpg



Here is a thread I started on the Justis as well.

http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=135012&highlight=justis

I used the Whitten yesterday and the Justis today and damn it if I don't like them both. I think I have it all figured out and then I change my mind again. Aaahhh...I really can't keep them both as much as I would like to, just can't afford it right now. The Justis is already more expensive then my playing cue, my break cue and my jump cue all put together.

We'll see which one I load up tomorrow and take with me.


Y go out for hamburger when U have steak at home??

The J is the bomb and the W is what it is.

If $ isn't a major factor it's a no brainer...4 me:)
 
Back
Top