Tournament noob..

Finesse74

Registered
I been playing pool for a good 1-2 years now every weekend at the local bars here. I have joined the APA and I'm playing in my first tournament of 9 ball this Thursday at 7pm.

What should I expect?

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
Seriously???

1) You should get there early, like maybe leave now and camp outside.
2) Notice who goes in (everyone could be your potential opponent)
3) BOLO disguises and fake nose/beard combinations
4) Bring oxygen tanks as we don't know if this tournament is on the planet Earth or some other planet where you may not have oxygen available to you.
5) A mysterious person may walk up to you and ask you for money, don't be alarmed, he may just be a "tournament director" and looking for you to give your "entry fee" to play in this "tournament" thing you speak of.
6) After the monies are collected this "tournament director" may go over things called "rules" and ask if you have any "questions" at this point you should state what you have stated here. You have been playing pool for a good 1-2 years and you want to know what to expect.
7) At this point you may be kicked out of the "tournament" as a ringer because no one will believe that anyone will ask what to expect at a "tournament"
8) If you are not kicked out, you will be given an "opponent" to play.
9) You should try to win against the "opponent"
10) Should you lose to this opponent, the tournament may be something called "double elimination" this means that possibly the same "opponent" or another "opponent" will have to beat you again.
11) Should you lose one more time, you will be in the CUL8R bracket which you should post about in the action forum.

GL with all that...

Finesse74

Registered
Seriously???

1) You should get there early, like maybe leave now and camp outside.
2) Notice who goes in (everyone could be your potential opponent)
3) BOLO disguises and fake nose/beard combinations
4) Bring oxygen tanks as we don't know if this tournament is on the planet Earth or some other planet where you may not have oxygen available to you.
5) A mysterious person may walk up to you and ask you for money, don't be alarmed, he may just be a "tournament director" and looking for you to give your "entry fee" to play in this "tournament" thing you speak of.
6) After the monies are collected this "tournament director" may go over things called "rules" and ask if you have any "questions" at this point you should state what you have stated here. You have been playing pool for a good 1-2 years and you want to know what to expect.
7) At this point you may be kicked out of the "tournament" as a ringer because no one will believe that anyone will ask what to expect at a "tournament"
8) If you are not kicked out, you will be given an "opponent" to play.
9) You should try to win against the "opponent"
10) Should you lose to this opponent, the tournament may be something called "double elimination" this means that possibly the same "opponent" or another "opponent" will have to beat you again.
11) Should you lose one more time, you will be in the CUL8R bracket which you should post about in the action forum.

GL with all that...

I guess someone has to be a dick.

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Thursday at 7PM. Sounds like a weekly local tournament.
Just like league, except you pay your ten bucks before you start, and the race may or may not be handicapped, depending on the tournament.
ASK about specific rules before you start. They may say APA rules, or BCA rules, or something like that. If you don't know the rules, winning can be tough.
Don't expect as much BS and fooling around during matches as you find at league. When it's not your turn, go to your chair and sit quietly until it's your turn again.

Have fun.

Steve

Zivan1967

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I guess someone has to be a dick.

a funny dick though lol

you should expect to experience a certain amount of pressure when playing, you might be used to it, you might not.

when you do feel this pressure it will show in your stroke so stick to your fundamentals, it'll help deal with the pressure and before you know it you'll be stroking like its a practice session.

At least that's how it was for me, btw my advice is from my experience.

I shot horrible my first tournament from the extra pressure and it took me a while to understand that i really had to focus until that pressure started to go away.

stljohnny

knowledge > execution. :(
Silver Member
okay - you're new here and all, but tournaments, in general, are all the same.

if it's a 9-ball tournament, people will ride the cheese all day long - and if you have to give weight, that's even more balls they're going to fire at ridiculously - all day long.

if there's a lot of players, there will be long waits in store for you - if you win your first match. if you lose your first match, you could be waiting even longer (until the entier first round of the bracket is over).

if it's 8-ball... it'll probably be like a really, really long league night - except it's just you - no teammates, no coaches, no handicaps (unless it's games on the wire).

it might be split quarters, which means you and your opponent will alternate dropping quarters into the table, regardless of who wins (most common). it might be alternate break, but probably not.

for close hits, get a witness, preferably the tournament director.

if you win the whole thing, it's customary (i'm told) to tip the tournament director, i've no idea how much since i've never won one. lol

OUSooner

Known Fish
Silver Member
I agree. Make sure you understand the rules thoroughly before you start. Have fun with it and don't expect too much. You're nerves will surely bother you a little bit and make sure you concentrate on every shot. Usually the tournys offer a little bit better caliber of player than league and they will try to get out a lot sooner.

Marie's husband

Cue It Up Promotions
Silver Member
I been playing pool for a good 1-2 years now every weekend at the local bars here. I have joined the APA and I'm playing in my first tournament of 9 ball this Thursday at 7pm.

What should I expect?

Here is what I expect of myself when I go to a tournament for the first time.

I expect to represent myself well by demonstrating proper pool etiquette when I am playing and when I am not, even if my opponent does not.

Meet and introduce myself to pool players that I have not met before.

Shoot to the best of my ability, and if I don't, use it as a learning experience and try to figure out what the reason was that caused you not to play your best.

I also make it a habit to watch other matches to see how different players play so I may learn what to/not to do on certain shots.

Also, this is just my opinion, but when I go to a tournament I also go in with a "I'm going to win this attitude" even though there are players that I may only beat 1 in a 100 attempts. I honestly think if I don't go into the tournament with that kinda attitude, then I wouldn't even win that one time.

Good luck and most of all, have fun playing and socializing, if you take it too serious your going to loose to much hair. As you can see by my avatar, at one time I took it too serious. lol.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member

What should I expect?

Ok , I'm going to approach this a little differently than everyone else .
Perhaps I'm reading between the lines . . . perhaps I'm wrong . . . but . .

You've been playing pool on weekends .
You just joined the APA .
Your "first tournament of 9 ball" is this Thursday at 7pm .
I don't think tournament is the word you were looking for . I believe you may have meant your first weekly league team match is this Thursday .
Cool . League is a more relaxed atmosphere than tournaments (usually) .
Go , meet your new team , relax , get to know them .
They probably don't expect you to set the world on fire your first week , just try to shoot smooth pool , and realize that there will be a lot of league-specific rules that you will pick up on as you go .
Part of the appeal of the APA league is the comaraderie and the ability to cheer on the other players on your team . Have fun , relax , and realize that as the total noob , you are expected to make mistakes . As long as you aren't the total KNOB , you should be OK .
Best advice I can give a new APA player is - have your captain explain the coaching/time out system to you before you start - it can save your ashes more times than you'd believe .
Also , at any time during your match , as a new player , you have a question about the rules , you may direct it to the opposing team captain - he must answer it , and must answer it honestly - and that will not count against your time-outs !
Good Luck , hope you enjoy the new experience !

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Also , at any time during your match , as a new player , you have a question about the rules , you may direct it to the opposing team captain - he must answer it , and must answer it honestly - and that will not count against your time-outs !

That is without question a great point. I dunno why I never looked at it that way before. It's pretty much been assumed we could ask a rules question at any time, but there is always that "is that a coach?" element to it. Asking the other teams captain is perfect.

Duh. :eek:

NewStroke

Screamin Monkey
Silver Member
Everyone missed this, relax and have fun. If you blow a shot or leave, don't forget to forget about it. Most of all breath, you'll do fine.

ridinda9

AKA: Sandy Bagger
Silver Member
That is without question a great point. I dunno why I never looked at it that way before. It's pretty much been assumed we could ask a rules question at any time, but there is always that "is that a coach?" element to it. Asking the other teams captain is perfect.

Duh. :eek:
That parts straight out of the Official Team Manual.
didn't want to take credit for it .

pooljunkie75

Bruce Johnson
Silver Member
Rules for all tournaments - "All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice. I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice."

These rules were passed down to me by Daulton (Road House). It almost works!!!:killingme:

No, seriously just have fun, be polite, meet new people, ask the stupid questions, and most of all learn something from your experience.

Bruce

pooltchr

Prof. Billiard Instructor
Silver Member
Rules for all tournaments - "All you have to do is follow three simple rules. One, never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected. Two, take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it's absolutely necessary. And three, be nice. I want you to be nice until it's time to not be nice."

These rules were passed down to me by Daulton (Road House). It almost works!!!:killingme:

Bruce

And don't forget you can get all the sleep you need after you're dead. (Wade Garrett)

Steve