Traditional style builder

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the traditional builders seem to have retired. I am looking to have an old school, steel joint with delrin cue built. Any builders on here like to build in that style? Looking for a few month turn around.

Thanks,
Ian

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
Leon Sly makes one of the best old school players and then you have Ron Haley. Good luck on finding one of his cues and they don’t come cheap either.

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Many of the traditional builders seem to have retired. I am looking to have an old school, steel joint with delrin cue built. Any builders on here like to build in that style? Looking for a few month turn around.

Thanks,
Ian
Mike Pancerny in Detroit.

Maxx

AzB Platinum Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Bob Owen builds some nice cues, and I believe he does steel joints. Never shot with one, but I have always admired what he posts here.

Sorry, I didn’t realize this was the “Ask a Cue maker“ forum, and I missed the few months turnaround criteria. But i do like the cues that Mr. Owen posts!

Last edited:

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a steel joint Owen. I could not be happier. The cue is very well made and plays as well as any cue I have owned. You may also consider a G Bierbower,very traditional designs and a lot of cue for the money. There have been a few for sale on AZB recently.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Scott Gilmore. But, he had several deaths of close family members over the past year, so he’s behind a bit. Plus, he’s Richard Black’s endorsed cue repairer, so I’ll bet there is some sort of agreement to move his cue work above his orders.

I hit with a couple of his cues when I picked up my refinished Bushka. I swear they hit quite similar. I needed cues for our new Gameroom, so I ordered four. I did not provide specs of any kind. Talked about what I liked in general and agreed on a nothing fancy price, since they would be home house cues, anyway.

He has finished the first one; it exceeded my expectations, is well-balanced and hits good. Stainless steel joint. I was waiting to get more and was going to post pics of all, but I’ll take some pics in a few days and post in the cue and case forum.

He is working on my next cue (to be a surprise), and asked after meeting my wife a couple times if he could make one for her out of the 4 cue order. So, he’s working on one for her at the same time.

Really nice guy. Look for pics of my Gilmore soon. You get old school construction (Richard Black trained him) and very reasonable prices for his product.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Well if all else fails try eBay, or post a Wanted Advertisement in Wanted & For Sale Forum.

Be specific as someone could have a Cue they might sell.

chuckg

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There will be so many thoughts on this the OP biggest issue will be how much do you want to spend or are you willing to wait years or be put on a waiting list for a Searing or Showman .

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks or the responses. I have a few Tascarellas and more on order with them. Top of the heap in my book.

Looking for additional cuemakers,
Reasonable turnaround and old school design. No strict price requirements.

Ian

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
To me traditional is lots of things.

Be definitive, and say would like to buy.

Searing, or Showman is just dream. Could never get.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add Garten Bierbower, although how can a few month turnaround be realistic for anyone? Just head over to f/s if that's the case.

xianmacx

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Add Garten Bierbower, although how can a few month turnaround be realistic for anyone? Just head over to f/s if that's the case.
Thanks. I checked out gartens page and he looks like a good choice and the styles I am looking for. I messaged him.

I've worked w a few cuemakers that can/will turn cues around in 3-4 months. This includes tascarella.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Cohen or Martz. I am just too busy myself to give good time frame.

thoffen

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. I checked out gartens page and he looks like a good choice and the styles I am looking for. I messaged him.

I've worked w a few cuemakers that can/will turn cues around in 3-4 months. This includes tascarella.

I believe ya. Good luck!

Duane Remick

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Bill Stroud posted on Az- years ago
approx 8-12 weeks- 4 point cue build from his shop