Trying to identify this set of balls, unique font

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Worsted wool
So many have used the term 'felt' over the yrs its pretty much part of pool even though we all know(well most anyway) that actual felt is nothing like pool CLOTH. Go to any craft store and go look at some felt. Not even remotely close. Oh well. Some people continue to call cushions 'bumpers' too. Whatta you gonna do???? ;)

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What would people call the lining inside the old 50s/60s/70s Brunswick hustler style cue cases- both red lining ( Aristocrat model case) and green lining ( Lord Brunswick model case). - it felt like FELT to me:):)

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Screen Shot 2023-03-26 at 10.49.58 AM.png

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Once a local pool room was named Felt Forum- THAT would drive you crazy:):)
I’m just as adamant about cloth vs felt as Measureman is….but using the term poetically doesn’t bother me…using it as a misnomer does.
I‘ve always liked the name Velvet Rail in Lansing MI.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
Worsted wool

Worsted than what?

It's cloth.
Why in hell do people keep calling it felt?
There was some extremely abrasive stuff in the eighties that showed no sign of a weave. I wondered sometimes if it might be some kind of felt. Somebody pulled some tables out of storage that had been there thirty years or close to it, barboxes.

They had that crap on them and despite working with my hands and having pretty decently tough working hands this stuff had cut the fingerprints off of all of the places I bridged. It was abrasive when new, as bad or worse thirty years later. I played about an hour or two. I think I would have been leaving blood spots on the table if I had played another hour.

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Worsted than what?

There was some extremely abrasive stuff in the eighties that showed no sign of a weave. I wondered sometimes if it might be some kind of felt. Somebody pulled some tables out of storage that had been there thirty years or close to it, barboxes.

They had that crap on them and despite working with my hands and having pretty decently tough working hands this stuff had cut the fingerprints off of all of the places I bridged. It was abrasive when new, as bad or worse thirty years later. I played about an hour or two. I think I would have been leaving blood spots on the table if I had played another hour.

Hu
That may’ve been ‘backed’ cloth….I’ve seen it….Buddy Hall was maybe invincible on it when he was a young bar player.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
That may’ve been ‘backed’ cloth….I’ve seen it….Buddy Hall was maybe invincible on it when he was a young bar player.

May have been the backed stuff. It never was real popular but I think it lasted a long time even in a bar. Of course most bars changed the cloth on the table once every four or five years if we were lucky! With a little luck a drunken cowboy would try to draw with a house cue with no tip. Rip a right angle tear in the cloth with both legs over a foot long and play might fall off enough to get the bar owner to recover the table.

As you know, you could almost stop when you said a young Buddy was invincible. First time I saw him he was in Greenway. He was tall, lanky, maybe a bowling ball sized beer belly to foretell the future. He was holding forth near the counter and six or eight of the best in Baton Rouge were gathered around his feet to pick up crumbs. I didn't duck many people but I decided there were easier propositions than taking on Buddy or a little "mexican" named Parica!

Hu

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
ShootingArts…that backed cloth was usually glue-on…like, the whole cloth, not just the edges.

ShootingArts

Gold Member
Silver Member
ShootingArts…that backed cloth was usually glue-on…like, the whole cloth, not just the edges.

I can't remember the abrasive stuff I am thinking about having loose cloth ever so it might have been glued down everywhere. I don't remember that much about it other than you rapidly started placing your bridge down where you wanted it and not sliding your fingertips around on that stuff! Might have been where 3M got the idea for Scotchbrite.

The good hands people rented out most of the tables in town on fifty-fifty shares. They weren't big on spending a buck when they didn't have to. Their contract was hilarious.

They supplied pool tables, juke boxes, and cigarette machines, maybe another popular machine or two. They decided what they would put in a place and only they could change the lease. If the owner spent a lifetime there, they were your partner for life, you couldn't swap out or get rid of equipment. If you sold or leased the building, the machine lease automatically transferred, what kept me from buying a bar. It had two busy pool tables and a very busy jukebox. I didn't see the cigarette machine do much but the mark up was great so I guess they did alright.

The net on pool tables and juke box would have paid the overhead except bartenders if I owned all of it. Half naturally wasn't nearly as sweet a proposition plus the contract made it plain who would be calling all of the shots including maintenance, anything and everything!

Hu

poolguppy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, Poolguppy.

Those balls are from an Aramith Select set, dear chap… produced in Belgium between 1999 and 2003.

It’s a decent set of balls, sir.

Best wishes.
Very curious how you knew this, even when I searched for the specifics I couldn't find the set without that link! Again I really appreciate the ID, I spent so long looking through images of ball sets they all started blurring together!