Turning Stone: Most surprising early round loss?

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
H.E.;

You made one of my points with your Efren 'shooting and winning plenty with a $12 cue' comment. It truly is the indian and to a much lesser degree, the arrow. As long as you have a good quality cue in hand, you don't need anything elite to play strong.

And to be clear, I was in no way knocking McDermott cues. I have a few myself. :)

What I found most interesting was that there are not many young players playing at a high level like Kevin Guimond, who have stayed with an 'old faithful' cue they've had for such a long time. He hasn't caved in to any peer pressure, etc.

I admire him for that.

best,
brian kc.

I didn't think you were knocking McDermotts, but I wanted to make it clear to people on here who bash "production" cues that you don't have to have a "custom" cue made by a "master" in order to play good pool. As a matter of fact, I sold my custom-made Richard Black cue that he made for me when I bought my first McDermott (a 1980-model C-14). To ME, the McDermott simply "outplayed" the Black. That is NOT a knock on Richard either, the first one he made me played DAMN GOOD, but I mistakenly sold it when he made me the second one before I realized it didn't play anywhere near as good as the first one. The first one was a simple 4-point and the second one was a Merry Widow type...maybe it was something due to the difference in construction. Almost ALL my cues are full-splice or short-splice cues.

Aloha.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
I was surprised to see Mike Dechaine in the loser's bracket after the first round. This is the first I've heard of Erik Hjorleifson (the guy who beat him), anyone know anything about him?

Current Canadian 10-ball champion.

JC

Coos Cues
Big News:
Professional player and Canadian Champion Eric Hjorleifson has hired Paul Potier as his personal coach. This is what Eric has to say about his new relationship with Paul: “I have officially signed on with Paul’s online coaching program and after our first conversations I can personally tell you that he has answered every question and has brought up aspects of my game that I have overlooked in the past. Being an instructor myself I am always in search of new knowledge and different ways to look at this complex game. I am particularly excited to continue talking to Paul about the mental side of the game. What he has offered so far has stuck with me and I feel like our future conversations will begin to greatly strengthen that part of my game. I would strongly recommend any of our followers to get in touch with Paul and see for yourself what he has to offer.”
Eric Hjorleifson, 2014 Canadian 10 Ball Champion

Maybe it has something to do with that, but the quote really reads more like it was written by an advertising copywriter than said by a pool player. :D

Probably just helped Erik express himself :D

JC