Turning Stone: Most surprising early round loss?

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
I was surprised to see Mike Dechaine in the loser's bracket after the first round. This is the first I've heard of Erik Hjorleifson (the guy who beat him), anyone know anything about him?

JayTS

Certified Donator
Silver Member
Erik is a great player from Canada. He participated and played very well in Bonus ball amongst other regional tournaments in the north. Good luck to him.

jsp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was surprised to see Mike Dechaine in the loser's bracket after the first round. This is the first I've heard of Erik Hjorleifson (the guy who beat him), anyone know anything about him?
I remember seeing Hjorleifson's name in the IPT many years back. Other than that, don't know much about him.

krupa

The Dream Operator
Silver Member
Thanks. I just looked at Facebook (worst interface ever) and saw that when Phil Cappelle posted the match, he called him "Eric Hjorleifson, Canada’s second best player"

I guess it's not so surprising after all.

djkx1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He is from Winnipeg originally and lives in Toronto for the past number of years. He has won several Canadian championship titles, with many recent wins over the likes of Klatt, Morra, and Pagulayan. He is absolutely capable of beating anyone in any tournament. I'm not saying he is the best out there but he is always a threat.

He has placed as high as 9th at the US open and that particular year he mowed through at least two or three guys that would have been as impressive as his recent thumping of Dechaine. That was probably about 10 years ago though so I cant remember all the details.

Last edited:
Mika and Archer were in jeopardy of losing to some strong true amatures. If Dumond made his 5 ball on the last game he was breaking in the hill. Matta made a couple errors that cost him games too but he was melting the iceman.

ssbn610g

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Watched the match and Erik looks like a pretty strong player in all facets of the game. Mike couldn't make a ball on the break and was pretty frustrated and decent safes by Erik added fuel to the fire. Mike also missed a bunch of shots that he normally nails. Mike did not play his best. I would love to see a rematch with both playing their best game.

Al

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
Mika and Archer were in jeopardy of losing to some strong true amatures. If Dumond made his 5 ball on the last game he was breaking in the hill. Matta made a couple errors that cost him games too but he was melting the iceman.

this guy who played and almost got Johnny, his name is Kevin Guimond. He's a sharpshooter out of my homeroom, Shooters in Southington, CT. He def has a high gear, beat Earl and double dipped Jeremy a couple weeks ago to win another Joss northeast event.

interesting to me, he shoots with an old beat up McDermott he's had forever.

A very nice young man.

As for MD, he had a few tough rolls and just didn't seem like he could get any rhythm going.

And his opponent, Erik H, def has top tier pool skill.

He is the reigning 10b champ in Canada.

Will be fun seeing how the brackets start shaping up today.

Watch MD plow through the b side. :)

best,
brian kc

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Hjorleifson over Dechaine an upset but not a huge one.

Erik once had a top ten finish in the US Open and is probably Canada's fourth best player behind Pagulayan, Klatt and Morra.

The road for Mike is a long one now and with a strong field like this one, it doesn't look good for the guy who wins more Joss events than anyone else. Still, you never know.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member

Kevin Guimond :wink:

best,
brian kc

JC

Coos Cues
Maybe it has something to do with this?

Big News:
Professional player and Canadian Champion Eric Hjorleifson has hired Paul Potier as his personal coach. This is what Eric has to say about his new relationship with Paul: “I have officially signed on with Paul’s online coaching program and after our first conversations I can personally tell you that he has answered every question and has brought up aspects of my game that I have overlooked in the past. Being an instructor myself I am always in search of new knowledge and different ways to look at this complex game. I am particularly excited to continue talking to Paul about the mental side of the game. What he has offered so far has stuck with me and I feel like our future conversations will begin to greatly strengthen that part of my game. I would strongly recommend any of our followers to get in touch with Paul and see for yourself what he has to offer.”
Eric Hjorleifson, 2014 Canadian 10 Ball Champion

bdorman

Dead money
Silver Member
Maybe it has something to do with this?

Big News:
Professional player and Canadian Champion Eric Hjorleifson has hired Paul Potier as his personal coach. This is what Eric has to say about his new relationship with Paul: “I have officially signed on with Paul’s online coaching program and after our first conversations I can personally tell you that he has answered every question and has brought up aspects of my game that I have overlooked in the past. Being an instructor myself I am always in search of new knowledge and different ways to look at this complex game. I am particularly excited to continue talking to Paul about the mental side of the game. What he has offered so far has stuck with me and I feel like our future conversations will begin to greatly strengthen that part of my game. I would strongly recommend any of our followers to get in touch with Paul and see for yourself what he has to offer.”
Eric Hjorleifson, 2014 Canadian 10 Ball Champion

Maybe it has something to do with that, but the quote really reads more like it was written by an advertising copywriter than said by a pool player. :D

Cardigan Kid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I read the brackets right, Shaw plays Thorsten next, so one of them will be to the losers bracket in the third round. I think they play at 4

HawaiianEye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
interesting to me, he shoots with an old beat up McDermott he's had forever.

I found your comment "interesting". McDermotts play GOOD. I have two and have banged balls with LOTS of them. I haven't shot with one that plays bad yet.

I think Efren shot with his $12 cue for years and beat plenty of people with custom cues made by "masters".

Sloppy Pockets

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a major upset, but I thought Stevie Moore would get past Dupuis. Don't get me wrong, I know Joey is a force to contend with when he is in stroke and freewheeling. Kinda like Shaw Light when he catches his highest gear. Lol

Anyway, I'm curious to see how Stevie does from here out. He plays Earl Herring next at 2PM on the TV table.

Kickin' Chicken

Kick Shot Aficionado
Silver Member
I found your comment "interesting". McDermotts play GOOD. I have two and have banged balls with LOTS of them. I haven't shot with one that plays bad yet.

I think Efren shot with his $12 cue for years and beat plenty of people with custom cues made by "masters".

H.E.;

You made one of my points with your Efren 'shooting and winning plenty with a $12 cue' comment. It truly is the indian and to a much lesser degree, the arrow. As long as you have a good quality cue in hand, you don't need anything elite to play strong.

And to be clear, I was in no way knocking McDermott cues. I have a few myself. :)

What I found most interesting was that there are not many young players playing at a high level like Kevin Guimond, who have stayed with an 'old faithful' cue they've had for such a long time. He hasn't caved in to any peer pressure, etc.

I admire him for that.

best,
brian kc.