Type of stance for tall players

birdy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello!
I have 6ft 9'' ( 205 cm ) and I tryed a lot of different stances. I can't find the right stance for the long shots with the cue ball near a rail . The snooker stance with the back foot straight is impossible tu use because is very inconfortable and gives me back pain.
What do you recommend?
 
Maybe just grip the cue a little more forward and shorten the bridge instead of standing so far back? I'm 6'3" and that seems to do the trick for me.

I'm sure there's some more professional advice out there and it doesn't sound like a bad idea to have a certified instructor look at you stroke.

Good luck! :D
 
Da Poet said:
Maybe just grip the cue a little more forward and shorten the bridge instead of standing so far back? I'm 6'3" and that seems to do the trick for me.

That's exactly what I'm doing for the last 2 months and it works very good. What about the position of the legs?
 
Last edited:
Johnnyt said:
Spread feet farther apart. Looks funny but it works. Johnnyt

Yeah, this is what I do. I try to get as low as I can. Just out of curiosity, what length of cue do you shoot with? I'm 6'2" and am comfortable using a 60" cue.
 
birdy said:
Hello!
I have 6ft 9'' ( 205 cm ) and I tryed a lot of different stances. I can't find the right stance for the long shots with the cue ball near a rail . The snooker stance with the back foot straight ?
do you mean LEG straight?
 
ABall said:
Yeah, this is what I do. I try to get as low as I can. Just out of curiosity, what length of cue do you shoot with? I'm 6'2" and am comfortable using a 60" cue.

I shoot with a 60'' cue but the grip is on the warp so I can play with a regular 58'' , no problem there. I have another cue, 63'' but I can't play with it because is far too long.
I also like to get very low , my chin is touching the cue. In this way I have more accuracy.
But spreading the feet to much I don't like it, it doesn't feel right. I usually spread them like 2ft and I stay side to the cue. I bend a little both knees and the legs are parallel ( the soles).
 
Last edited:
I have a friend that's 6' 7" and he has to adjust the angle of his legs if the table is in the way...a sideways stance of 45 deg. is probably what will help to get down on the shot...bending both knees is the best way to lower into a proper stance too...
 
birdy said:
Hello!
I have 6ft 9'' ( 205 cm ) and I tryed a lot of different stances. I can't find the right stance for the long shots with the cue ball near a rail . The snooker stance with the back foot straight is impossible tu use because is very inconfortable and gives me back pain.
What do you recommend?

Check out any videos of Jim Rempe and Dave Bollman you can find. Rempe had the best stance of any tall man I ever saw. SOLID!
 
Two things

Both height and stiffness are issues for me. Two things will help. First, do hamstring stretches daily. Very good advice for anyone at all and particularly for pool players, doubly so for tall players.

The second thing is to unlock the knee if you are trying to shoot with one knee locked.

Getting low enough to have the stick touching the chin or cheek really isn't necessary for most shots and was described as a flaw by some old time players. If you are trying to mimic the position of much shorter players simply accepting that a higher stance is perfectly workable might help.

Hu
 
Johnnyt said:
Spread feet farther apart. Looks funny but it works. Johnnyt
Yeah that's what I had to do too, I had to 'open' my stance to get down more comfortably over the ball.
 
Back
Top