U.S. Open 9-ball Updates

Bbutler

topshots.ca
Silver Member
These break rules are ridiculous. What next, they turn the rack upside down and you have to hit into the 1-ball off the end rail? Maybe force the players to break while standing on one leg?

Why is everyone so scared to just let the players play nine ball the normal way?

Celtic

AZB's own 8-ball jihadist
Silver Member
These guys are both shooting way over .900 TPA atm, this is the strongest showing by two opponents we have seen yet on the TV table. Very strong play.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
These guys are both shooting way over .900 TPA atm, this is the strongest showing by two opponents we have seen yet on the TV table. Very strong play.

Yes this is highest TPA on TV table
At one stage they were both about 0.96 now around 0,93

Uchigaki missed ball with rest and Ko cleans up now Uchigaki 8-5
Ko finally breaks wet and looks like he will be out :D

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Big Ko is out
Lost hill hill 11-10 to Uchigaki
Ko was behind 0-4, 1-5, 4-8 caught up to 8-8, then Uchigaki got on hill 10-8
Somehow Ko still managed to find a way to get to hill hil despite many dry breaks
On hill Ko broke dry again , Uchigaki ran out and that was it
Ko shot 0.95 while Uchigaki shot 0.89
Very enjoyable match
Uchigaki meets Dennis is last match of day at 11pm :thumbup:

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So the Ko brothers already out. Who wud have thought.... Unbelievable field on the loser's side!

I am glad the buzzing noise seems over. But had anyone else had occasional freezes and buffering issues?

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
In the 90s, I used to say thet the US Open was tougher to win than the world championship...
....it might still be

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So in one match we're calling shot clock fouls on players, but the next match not using the clock at all?

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
These break rules are ridiculous. What next, they turn the rack upside down and you have to hit into the 1-ball off the end rail? Maybe force the players to break while standing on one leg?

Why is everyone so scared to just let the players play nine ball the normal way?
Earl would agree!
So in one match we're calling shot clock fouls on players, but the next match not using the clock at all?
Was wondering the same thing???

Celtic

Silver Member
In the 90s, I used to say thet the US Open was tougher to win than the world championship...
....it might still be

I would say this is the first year where it is close since back when the USA was the premier pool playing country by far (back in the 1980's)

I still think the World 9-ball championships has a slightly tougher field. This US Open is extremely tough and a field like the event has not ever seen but it is missing a few of the elite players still.

Wu Chia Ching
Johann Chua
Aloysius Yapp
Lee Van Corteza
Waleed Majid
and quite a few other top players from overseas.

This US Open managed to draw a strong field of international competitors, but the World 9-Ball Championships tend to get every one of the top performing pool players who are currently active. This US Open did get a couple people the World 9-ball Championships did not get such as Alex Pagulayan, Bergman, and some others who don't travel much to the major international events, but those guys are not even replacements for the guys on the above list.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
Earl was in full meltdown mode vs Ignacio.
Was entertaining though.
He had a point early on.

You don't bring your breakfast and eat it sitting in the front row moving all around!!
That started it all.

bicki

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
WPC tougher than this US Open? I dont think so. Here's why: At the WPC, there is a contingent of players who get appointed in their countries to take part. From the best pool countries like Taiwan, China, Philippines are not as many at the WPC compared to the US Open. Paying one grand entry fee speaks for itself too.

Colonel

Raised by Wolves in a Pool Hall
Silver Member
I would say this is the first year where it is close since back when the USA was the premier pool playing country by far (back in the 1980's)

I still think the World 9-ball championships has a slightly tougher field. This US Open is extremely tough and a field like the event has not ever seen but it is missing a few of the elite players still.

Wu Chia Ching
Johann Chua
Aloysius Yapp
Lee Van Corteza
Waleed Majid
and quite a few other top players from overseas.

This US Open managed to draw a strong field of international competitors, but the World 9-Ball Championships tend to get every one of the top performing pool players who are currently active. This US Open did get a couple people the World 9-ball Championships did not get such as Alex Pagulayan, Bergman, and some others who don't travel much to the major international events, but those guys are not even replacements for the guys on the above list.

Hmmmm, let's see, Big Ko wins World 9 ball championship but gets dumped just past halfway into the Open.

Niels Feijen won World 9 ball last year yet at last years US Open was seen mumbling to himself over in a corner about Shane's break after Shane destroyed him.

It would appear your comment on which Field is tougher lacks substance. I mean both the aforementioned last 2 World Champs who navigated the "toughest Field" to win there can't win here. Draw your own conclusions.

UGETTHE6

Always
Silver Member
Why is Geoff Conway allowed in the booth? I just never understand why anyone lets him near a microphone.

Celtic

Silver Member
WPC tougher than this US Open? I dont think so. Here's why: At the WPC, there is a contingent of players who get appointed in their countries to take part. From the best pool countries like Taiwan, China, Philippines are not as many at the WPC compared to the US Open. Paying one grand entry fee speaks for itself too.

Yeah, but the way the WPC does it countries that tend to dominate tend to get a lot of entries. So you get most of the best players from the best countries.

Name the players that were not at the WPC 9-Ball World Championships that are at this US Open that you think weakened the W9BC field?

I did that, this US Open IS missing a few world class players from world class countries that the WPC "did" have playing in the last World 9-Ball Championships. This US Open did "not" get that many world class elite level players that the WPC 9-ball did not have on the other hand.

This US Open got a huge number of highly internationally ranked players and former world champions and winners of major events on the international scene, but it still did not get as many of them as the WPC 9-ball did. That is not an opinion, that is a fact.

Take a look at the top 25 people on the world pool rankings list and see how many of them are in this US Open, it is a very respectable percentage that are in this US Open. Now do the same thing for the last World 9-ball Championships, not a single player in the top 25 was missing.

You can do that for the top 30, the top 35, the top 40, more of the top world ranked players played in the WPC 9-ball Champsionhips than in this US Open.

This US Open IS tough though, there has never been a US Open as tough as this. But there certainly has been WPC's as tough or even tougher based on the participation of the top ranked players.

Celtic

Silver Member
Hmmmm, let's see, Big Ko wins World 9 ball championship but gets dumped just past halfway into the Open.

Niels Feijen won World 9 ball last year yet at last years US Open was seen mumbling to himself over in a corner about Shane's break after Shane destroyed him.

It would appear your comment on which Field is tougher lacks substance. I mean both the aforementioned last 2 World Champs who navigated the "toughest Field" to win there can't win here. Draw your own conclusions.

That is a false argument. You can cherry pick players who did well in one and not in the other until you are blue in the face to try to prove a point for either side of the debate, and it will be just as meaningless for either side. Feijen won the 2014 World 9-ball Championships, I don't think he even made it out of his bracket in the 2015 World 9-ball Championships, but that is in truth a moot point anyhow, it means as little as the cherry picked results you posted above.

As I said in the above post. Look at the number of top ranked players in either field, look at the number of people in the top 25 who competed, the number of people in the top 30, the number of people in the top 40 who were in either event.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/rankings

That is the most simple and clear way of determining the strength of each field and comparing them.

There are people in the world whose world rankings make clear have the speed to win this US Open who are "not in" this US Open. I do not think there was anyone whose world ranking suggests had much of a chance to win the WPC World 9-ball Championships who was not actually "in" the World 9-ball Championships.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is a false argument. You can cherry pick players who did well in one and not in the other until you are blue in the face to try to prove a point for either side of the debate, and it will be just as meaningless for either side. Feijen won the 2014 World 9-ball Championships, I don't think he even made it out of his bracket in the 2015 World 9-ball Championships, but that is in truth a moot point anyhow, it means as little as the cherry picked results you posted above.

As I said in the above post. Look at the number of top ranked players in either field, look at the number of people in the top 25 who competed, the number of people in the top 30, the number of people in the top 40 who were in either event.

http://www.wpa-pool.com/web/rankings

That is the most simple and clear way of determining the strength of each field and comparing them.

There are people in the world whose world rankings make clear have the speed to win this US Open who are "not in" this US Open. I do not think there was anyone whose world ranking suggests had much of a chance to win the WPC World 9-ball Championships who was not actually "in" the World 9-ball Championships.

It's circular to use the WPA rankings, which more heavily weight the World 9-ball than the US Open, to check the the ranks of those two tournaments. It would be more accurate to look at something independent like Fargo ratings. I don't have a list of all the World 9-ball participants, but I see several who are at the US Open but I know were not at the World 9-ball, such as Bergman, placed 9 on the Fargo world list.