Unknown "monster" players

coastydad

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Monster players

I looked at this yesterday and was surprised to see a number of players from Texas back in the '80s but no mention of Gilbert Martinez. Back in the day, I liked Gilbert in just about any matchup.

Getnbzy

Take 2 they're small
Silver Member
DoubleA said:
I am glad to hear that Bill Cress is alive. The rumor has otherwise.

I remember "dollar" bill giving Harry P. 9-6 in his own joint around '88-89 and getting the $$$. Funny guy...when things are going good...

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Getnbzy said:
I remember "dollar" bill giving Harry P. 9-6 in his own joint around '88-89 and getting the $$$. Funny guy...when things are going good...
Yeah, and when things weren't going so good, one of his favorite expressions was "the damn balls are just spitting at me". Bill always did have a way with words and women.

Madcity

Don Water Dog Edwards although he might have been pretty well known in some circles. Could play with the best of them when the mixture was right. Played all games well.

Gene Daniels, might not be real name, best games were one-pocket and banks. Played nine-ball and bar tables real well also. Smart player. Beat a good road player (9-ball) on the Gold Crowns. Then they moved to a bar for the seven foot action. Saw him dump ten straight games of nine-ball because Billy Cress was betting on the side with the roadies agent. This was for fifty a game in the early 70s. Gene even made the dump look good. A few hours later Gene busted the roadie and got Billys five hundred to boot.

Gene Albrecht for several years beat a lot of top notch players for the cash on the seven footers.

Two players that went by the same name John Henry. One was white the other black both played real sporty on the road.

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ironman said:
That would be a pretty impressive resume..

I ran around with Stevens back in the 70's. He was an outrageous character.

Craig,(as I knew him ) was a truely outrageous character. I used to go up to Wichita (or he would come down to Dallas or Houston) regularly in the 60's and we had some great times. I knew enough to stay away from him at 9 ball, so we usually matched up at one pocket.
Most times he took the worst of it. We used to play a lot of golf together ( he was a pretty solid golfer as you well know) Most of the time we were partners against two guys with more money than brains. At that time he had a partner/stakehorse by the name of Donny Culver. (He played mid-shortstop speed) When Craig would go off, Donny would match up with me. Donny owned a used car
lot and when he'd run out of cash, he would bet a car. Great gentleman gambler. If I still had some of the cars he lost to me, I would have a few more bucks in the kitty. '57 Chevvy, '60 Cadillac, '59 Buick, are the ones that stand out.
Craig and Donny were great guy's, Wish they were still around.(don't mean that in a selfish way)
I just realy miss those days! I also do not think Craig belongs in an "unknown" catagory.

Dick

P.S. I still have a set of golf clubs Craig hocked to me in 1967, after he got broke in Ft Worth.
I told him I did not need the collateral but he insisted I take them. They are not for sale!

Dick

Last edited:

nitty bitty

Registered
Didn't Horace Harper beat everyone that came through Macon, GA at one time? I heard everyone lost to him - every top player at the time.

On the bar table what about guys Jimmy King or Joe Wofford or even Danny Cook.

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
nitty bitty said:
Didn't Horace Harper beat everyone that came through Macon, GA at one time? I heard everyone lost to him - every top player at the time.

On the bar table what about guys Jimmy King or Joe Wofford or even Danny Cook.
I don't know the other two, but I know Danny. His bar table speed would make you tired just watching. I have seen him run racks where he never took a free stroke, or seemingly, never even stopped walking between shots. Speed pool at it's finest was his natural gait when he was "right".

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jay,Help...

bullshooter69 said:
Has anyone ever heard of a guy calle The Mountainman or CURTIS PAYNE.

Is this the guy we knew as "King Curtiss" in the old Dayton days ? Cannot remember his last name. He played pretty sporty.

Dick

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Dennis Haar, Tennessee now?

SD Master Champion at age 14,

VNEA National Master Champion at age 18

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
I busted almost every player that I played out of the ones mentioned on this forum. The only one I did not bust was Lots a Papa. He was a little to strong foe me on the bar table. Tommy sanders, Gabby, Liel Gay, Reid Pierce, Chino, I busted while traveling on the road back in the 80's. Most of the players mentioned would not play because they said I played to slow but they knew I would play high. I broke even with Vernon Eliot, Eugene Browning and a few others. Life was awesome back before the cell phone.

punter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
gulyassy said:
I busted almost every player that I played out of the ones mentioned on this forum. The only one I did not bust was Lots a Papa. He was a little to strong foe me on the bar table. Tommy sanders, Gabby, Liel Gay, Reid Pierce, Chino, I busted while traveling on the road back in the 80's. Most of the players mentioned would not play because they said I played to slow but they knew I would play high. I broke even with Vernon Eliot, Eugene Browning and a few others. Life was awesome back before the cell phone.

Where did you and Sanders play?

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Inaction said:
Dennis Haar, Tennessee now?

SD Master Champion at age 14,

VNEA National Master Champion at age 18
The last time I saw Dennis he was living in Livingston,Tn.,and not playing very much any more. He played all games well, but his 8-ball game was excellent.

gulyassy

Custom Cues Since 1986
Silver Member
punter said:
Where did you and Sanders play?
Somewhere around Kerville,Texas where I was living back in the early 80's. I do not remember exactly, too many years ago but both Tommy Sanders and Gabby came to try to beat me and I sent them both home broke.

plane_o

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
bullshooter69 said:
I don"t think so this guy was from Okla. or Texas. CURTIS mountainman PAYNE

In the early 90's there was a Curtis Payne that played in a lot of the tournaments around the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Some called him King Curtis. He always wore a pair of bell bottom jeans. He played good.

Steve Stough

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember Geese, Nate, Bo & Mikey Newport, Bobby Leggs, & Freddy Boggs all in Bill & Billies one nite, action packed what a nite!

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
plane_o said:
In the early 90's there was a Curtis Payne that played in a lot of the tournaments around the Dallas/Ft Worth area. Some called him King Curtis. He always wore a pair of bell bottom jeans. He played good.
Thats the guy.. we always called him "King Curtis". Played pretty good.
Small guy, but liked to woof a lot. He would have to be late 50's, early 60's by now.

Dick

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
What about San Jose Dick? Anyone ever heard of him? I heard he could play a little. :)
I always used to hear about him beating some road player.