BPT Champion
Silver Member
deerhunter said:
Hear are some players from the 70's and 80's
Ohio - Kenny McCoy, Charlie Schram, Jack Wilson, Dave Heil, Ival Mitchell
Kentucky - Marlboro, Bobby Johnson, Rodney Keown, WC Richardson
Indiana - Fred Perry, Peru Paul
W.Va. - Jack Hatfield, Brier Spivey
This is just a few; if I thought about it I could name many more.

LOL, its funny seeing Kenny McCoys name on here. I say that because i've known Kenny for about 8 years or so now. I started going into his home room sometime ago when i was around 20 or so. I didnt know Kenny even played pool for about 2 years, lol, he NEVER picks up a cue and shoots. The only time Kenny shoots is when someone comes into looking for action, and even then he still shoots pretty damn good. In the 8 years i've known Kenny, i think i've seen him actually shoot 4 times. Another name to add to that list is Danny Tator. Danny was definately one of the best players in the country back in the 80's. I remember hearing a story of Danny having Mike Massey down 7-1 in a race to 9 and Massey looking at him and saying "Who the fu*k are you?!".

thepavlos

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pushout said:
I remember Nick Vlahos. I saw him play in the New York State 9 Ball Championship a few times, IIRC. I can't remember if he played in the BC Open or not. Lot of people were sad to hear of his death.
I also remember another guy called "The Indian", who showed up for the NY State tournament with Joe Kerr. Real strong player with a tremendous break. Called himself JR and was the only name he would give. He tried to match up with Toby Sweet but wanted weight and the only thing Toby would give up was the safe 8, so they didn't play.
Nick Vlahos was also known as the Indian, you sure you're thinking of 2 different people?

plane_o

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
What about Wayne Giles from Sanford, NC...I've seem him beat a lot of road players in Fayetteville, NC during the 1970's..One of the few times I've seen him lose it was to Luther Lassiter... Any others remember Wayne Giles

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
thepavlos said:
Nick Vlahos was also known as the Indian, you sure you're thinking of 2 different people?

Definitely. I knew Nick and it wasn't him. This was what other out-of-towners referred to him as and not JR, which was the name he gave the room owner/tournament director. Plus, I think they were there at the same time. As I said in the previous post, he was with Joe Kerr.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
bobalouiecda said:
I remember two great shooters in the mid 60's from Kansas City. The first was Johnny Morrow, a child prodigy who quit at about 16, came back in his 20's. He was a legend in the early 60's. The second player was Gary ?, an ex Marine, and a fireman in K.C. He had the best stroke of any player I have ever seen. I have been trying to remember his last name for years.
Anyone remember him playing on 47th and Troost help me with his name.
When I lived in Montana Terry Boucher, now deceased, was as close to pro as you can be. I hear his son Jeff has followed in his footsteps.

Johnny Morrow was a fearless money player for years. Good, but not great. Tony Watson bar-b-q'd him the one time I saw them play. Gary is Gary Serville, aka "Navy Gary". He was from Kansas City and was stationed in San Diego in the 60's. He lives in the KC area now and still plays occasionally.

jjollie

I remember Wayne... I wentto a tournament in the late 70's in a small place in Grifton, NC. It was called Newby's after Keith Newby, the owner. A lot of pros were there and St. Louie Roberts tried to get a game with Wayne. Wayne refused with good reason. At that tournament I witnessed a 6 man $50 ring game - Hall, Licostti,Louie Roberts,Rempe and a couple more. This is no lie...Hall did not miss a shot for an hour and a half. It was un-real how good he was playing....DAMN un-real.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just a few names to add to the list. Bernie Schwartz was a monster 9-ball player in the 60's and 70's before he got rich with the ovenware.

Don Watson could play (and beat) most anyone throughout his career. Softest touch I ever saw. He'd just as soon kick back and play the ponies though.

Billy Kenyon was a terific unknown player around Los Angeles for many years. His regular job was as a movie stuntman.

Frank Tullos has owned several pool rooms in the Carolinas, But as a young man, he robbed many a hustler.

Greg Stevens was one of the monster 9-Ball players of his era. He gave weight to the world.

One more I remember was Peter Gunn, a great black player on the West Coast who died about 4-5 years ago. Everyone knew his name, but few knew what he looked like.

The greatest undercover player ever had to be Jack Cooney though.

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Pushout said:
I remember Nick Vlahos. I saw him play in the New York State 9 Ball Championship a few times, IIRC. I can't remember if he played in the BC Open or not. Lot of people were sad to hear of his death.
I also remember another guy called "The Indian", who showed up for the NY State tournament with Joe Kerr. Real strong player with a tremendous break. Called himself JR and was the only name he would give. He tried to match up with Toby Sweet but wanted weight and the only thing Toby would give up was the safe 8, so they didn't play.

That's Leil Gay from Ohio. Still plays good.

wincardona

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Unknown Monsters

jay helfert said:
Just a few names to add to the list. Bernie Schwartz was a monster 9-ball player in the 60's and 70's before he got rich with the ovenware.

Don Watson could play (and beat) most anyone throughout his career. Softest touch I ever saw. He'd just as soon kick back and play the ponies though.

Billy Kenyon was a terific unknown player around Los Angeles for many years. His regular job was as a movie stuntman.

Frank Tullos has owned several pool rooms in the Carolinas, But as a young man, he robbed many a hustler.

Greg Stevens was one of the monster 9-Ball players of his era. He gave weight to the world.

One more I remember was Peter Gunn, a great black player on the West Coast who died about 4-5 years ago. Everyone knew his name, but few knew what he looked like.

Jay, Bernie Schwartz and Greg Stevens were never unknown monsters,on the contrary they were regarded by just about every one as the best during their time. Bernie beat every 9 ball champion that tried him.To name a few,Richie Florence,Eddie Kelly,Larry Hubbard,Wade Crane,Horace Harper,Ronnie Allen,Richie Ambrose,and many more.

deerhunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Marlboro was from Irvine, KY. A couple more from Kentucky was Eric Williams and my favorite was Clyde Childress from Berea. Mount Sterling had its share of good players, 2 come to mind, Brad Schwartz (known as Bullwinkle) and Butch Coliver played pretty sporty.
In the 70's and 80's I don't care what town you stopped by in Kentucky there would be at least 1 or 2 guys the could really play. When I say could play I mean they could run 4 or 5 racks at any time and quite often.
Irvine is a good example, Marlboro was king and at banks I don't think the mighty Bugs could have won in Irvine. But this is a town of about 3000 people and there were many great players. Jack Howe and Bill Marcum is a couple. Plus there were 25 or 30 younger guys that could play very good. I would like to know if any of these guys became great players.
One more old Kentucky player, Ed Eversole.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
wincardona said:
Jay, Bernie Schwartz and Greg Stevens were never unknown monsters,on the contrary they were regarded by just about every one as the best during their time. Bernie beat every 9 ball champion that tried him.To name a few,Richie Florence,Eddie Kelly,Larry Hubbard,Wade Crane,Horace Harper,Ronnie Allen,Richie Ambrose,and many more.

You and I know that Billy, but most people on here have never heard of them (especially Bernie) because they were primarily gamblers. You won't find their names in any record books.

A couple of other very good money players from the 60's, 70's and 80's were Toby Sweet and Gary "The Bushwacker" Nolan. Both these guys played high speed 9-Ball. Warren "The Monk" Costanzo was a great One Pocket player who stayed low key until winning the big pro event at the Tropicana in 1979. By the way, I played David Rhodes in that tourney. David was a very good player, but I would have had to rate him under Toby or Gary for the cash.

Last edited:

DoubleA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
You and I know that Billy, but most people on here have never heard of them (especially Bernie) because they were primarily gamblers. You won't find their names in any record books.

A couple of other very good money players from the 60's, 70's and 80's were Toby Sweet and Gary "The Bushwacker" Nolan. Both these guys played high speed 9-Ball. Warren "The Monk" Costanzo was a great One Pocket player who stayed low key until winning the big pro event at the Tropicana in 1979. By the way, I played David Rhodes in that tourney. David was a very good player, but I would have had to rate him under Toby or Gary for the cash.
Jay, I don't know if you know Weldon "Jr" Rogers or not, but I would have to rate as one of the best "undercover players" of all time also. He was very good at "getting the money".

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
monster unknown players?

what about sparky webb, wichita falls texas? broke even with st louis louis in 1971 in dallas at mickey finns pool room in walnut hill. beat dick lane in two different tourneys, one i kansas, one in ft.smith ark. played pretty good was 4th i world caliper bar box tourney in des moines, iowa. 1986! mcready was 2nd dick lane 3rd, mark wilson won it! the amazing thing was sparky ran 49 racks out of 63 in 7 matches race to 9! cicero murphy said to me" someone is going to run 9. then he did it! i always thought jr. norris and dick lane and sparky webb and joe mac were pretty dam good players in there day. dont forget sparky beat alot of champions u would not believe if i listed them! pretty good players from wichita falls,tx. 4 would beaters! dont forget sparky had buddy hall 7 to 3 in a race to 9 in dallas in 1983 in a tourney at "cj's billiards. missed 1 ball and buddy ran 6 and out? id say i played pretty good! thanks for remembering how i played grady matthews 5 times and lost 3! oh well lts of luck! we sure will miss "mike betts" and " hitchcock". sparky

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what about bicycle "willie"

alfie taylor! he beat reed pierce in the early 70's on bar box in dothan ala.

mark8950

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the best 1 pocket hustler was "jack cooney" the best 9 ball hustler was "craig stevens" and walter glass". sparky

Josh Palmer

I'll take the 6 :)
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Jay.. you have any more stories about Peter Gunn? I sure liked that guy. His little grandson played pretty sporty before he found football. Peter was a take no shit type of guy. He told me a few stories of playing in the old days. Being black and hustling pool had to be the hardest job out there in the 50's & 60's.

sliprock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
deerhunter said:
Marlboro was from Irvine, KY. A couple more from Kentucky was Eric Williams and my favorite was Clyde Childress from Berea. Mount Sterling had its share of good players, 2 come to mind, Brad Schwartz (known as Bullwinkle) and Butch Coliver played pretty sporty.
In the 70's and 80's I don't care what town you stopped by in Kentucky there would be at least 1 or 2 guys the could really play. When I say could play I mean they could run 4 or 5 racks at any time and quite often.
Irvine is a good example, Marlboro was king and at banks I don't think the mighty Bugs could have won in Irvine. But this is a town of about 3000 people and there were many great players. Jack Howe and Bill Marcum is a couple. Plus there were 25 or 30 younger guys that could play very good. I would like to know if any of these guys became great players.
One more old Kentucky player, Ed Eversole.

I think that Irvine must teach pool in their school systems. At one time during the early 90's you could go to a tournament in central Ky, and there might be 20 players there from Irvine. Most of them could run out too. Never had any dealings with Ed Eversole But his boy Vadis(sp?)
had plenty of gamble and he could play some.