Unknown "monster" players

gulfportdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
sharandrew said:
David Rhodes one of the most talented/gisted players..... could beat anyone, say again could beat anyone. Had a gear beat Strickland 11-0 in Houston 20 years ago when Earl was player of the year, Ive seen a bunch of great players most of them David was right there with them........sad story David applied himself to other things then Pool
There was a mini-thread about David a year or so ago, but I don't recall the outcome. I watched Rhodes play several times at tournaments in the mid 1990's in California, although I believe he was from the NW. He was beating everyone. I recall one match in which he was playing Tony Annigoni. It was a race to 9. David was ahead 8-1. He broke, had a good layout, made the first ball, and Tony said, "That's good, David." He conceded the match.

It seems to me he had to do some time for something drug related. I assume he's no longer playing pool these days. He had talent in spades.

Doc

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Deadon said:
Jay;

I know you remember Roy Futternick. We hit tournament and the road in the late 70s and 80s. Very deceptive and skilled money maker. Even got better, played close to Kim D for a long time.

Roy was a "down on the table grinding" gritty little player. No big stroke, no fancy shots, just hard hard pool. He was very tough to beat, only a Keith or a Kim or a Swanee could do it out here. I put him about even with Doc Brienza who was the proverbial runner-up in West Coast events in the 80's. Roy has been a dealer in Reno for many years and a health nut. He is in his mid 50's and looks like a 40 year old.

David Rhodes could really play. He could get into that "no miss" mode for hours. When he was 'right', he was very tough to handle. Again only the top dogs could beat him for the cash, same guys as above. David might get a little uncomfortable playing for big money, especially against strong opposition. He could never beat a Kim, Keith or Swanee for the cheese. In a $100-300 set he was very dangerous. Dan Louie was The Man for a long long time in the Northwest, a better player over-all then David. And Rich Geiler gambled better for serious money, $1,000 and up.

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Don't forget Toby Sweet. He rarely lost to anyone, and I mean anyone! Toby would bet it up too. One more great player was George Brunt. He was a little more high profile than Toby, but many players didn't really know how well he played. Gabby from Texas was another very strong player who didn't get a lot of recognition.
Jay, you mentioned Gabby. I am thinking you were talking about Larry Brown, aka Gabby, a great player from Houston, TX.

BTW, looks like Keith McCready in the background.

477200488_CRKHP-X2.jpg

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
BillPorter said:
Jay, you mentioned Gabby. I am thinking you were talking about Larry Brown, aka Gabby, a great player from Houston, TX.

BTW, looks like Keith McCready in the background.

477200488_CRKHP-X2.jpg

Yeah, that's Gabby. he got his name because he never said a word when playing. True story! I played him in my first poolroom in Bakersfield, in the early 70's. He just stood there like a statue when I was shooting. Very disconcerting since I was used to playing black guys who had a "lot" to say. Like Cecil for instance.

I guess you know Gabby went to prison on a serious beef many years ago and eventually died in there. By the way, the guy in the background with the cue on his should is Big Bill Meacham who frequently posts on here. A very strong player from Colorado. This photo appears to be from Red's in Houston, making it circa mid 80's.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Yeah, that's Gabby. he got his name because he never said a word when playing. True story! I played him in my first poolroom in Bakersfield, in the early 70's. He just stood there like a statue when I was shooting. Very disconcerting since I was used to playing black guys who had a "lot" to say. Like Cecil for instance.

I guess you know Gabby went to prison on a serious beef many years ago and eventually died in there. By the way, the guy in the background with the cue on his should is Big Bill Meacham who frequently posts on here. A very strong player from Colorado. This photo appears to be from Red's in Houston, making it circa mid 80's.

Gabby was a true "gentleman" when we matched up. About the only other person that was as good of a gentlemen was Randy Jones (he could play too), Gab and I bucked heads many times in Los Angeles back when my game was coming together (I never lost to him), wonder if anyone has any stories about Rich Marquez out of San Francisco, his family was and still is the foundation of the bartenders/liquor union up there, he could play one pocket back in the early 70's better than MOST.

Last edited:

BillPorter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jay helfert said:

Thanks for the correction about McCready. I added your identification of Big Bill Meacham to our Reds gallery on Smugmug. You are correct, it was either 1983 or 1984. How could I have incorrectly identified McCready when, at that time, he looked like this!

477206882_9aYfC-X2.jpg

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Undercover Carolina Killers!

crawfish said:
He gave up weight to Cliff Joyner and sent him packing. There. Saw it. It happened.

Another name for you.... Brian Ezell. Ol' Ezee could knock'em in the holes. I once saw him beat Earl Strickland 9-4 in a tournament after about twelve Buds. He was falling back into his chair between turns. Originally from South Carolina, now lives in New Bern. Also, Pete Horne, Hugh Huggins, and Joe Root (not so much a champion, but could match up right with a rock if need be).

I used to play with Brian's dad David Ezell, both hit 'em good, but Brian was a true killer with a cue when in stroke. Pete Horne was awesome! I got to know him while playin' in Kinston, NC and Joe Root...well I only got to play him once in Raleigh at Brass Tap...unfortunately I hit a "miracle" gear in a tournament match with him and didn't get to see what he could do!

My advise to all...DON'T EVER PISS PETE HORNE OFF! I only have one name for guys like Pete...FRIEND! :)

On a side note, I also got to see Michael Coltrain when he was just a young teenager and that kid was unbelievable with a cue. I was saddened when he couldn't play anymore due to his condition. I think he would have most definately been a superstar within the pool world!

As far as Ohio Pizza guy goes...isn't that Tommy Stephenson? Yeah, he hits the CENTER of the pocket alot!

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sam Waltz said:
I used to play with Brian's dad David Ezell, both hit 'em good, but Brian was a true killer with a cue when in stroke. Pete Horne was awesome! I got to know him while playin' in Kinston, NC and Joe Root...well I only got to play him once in Raleigh at Brass Tap...unfortunately I hit a "miracle" gear in a tournament match with him and didn't get to see what he could do!

My advise to all...DON'T EVER PISS PETE HORNE OFF! I only have one name for guys like Pete...FRIEND! :)

Brian, Pete and Joe were all good players, especially Pete. But believe me when I tell you that Toby looked for and busted guys just like this, for years and years. On a big table!

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
Oh and one more from my NC days...Charlie Brinson, ol' Straight Arrow could play a bit for sure and is a ton of fun just to be around!

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam Waltz said:

On a side note, I also got to see Michael Coltrain when he was just a young teenager and that kid was unbelievable with a cue. I was saddened when he couldn't play anymore due to his condition. I think he would have most definately been a superstar within the pool world!

As far as Ohio Pizza guy goes...isn't that Tommy Stephenson? Yeah, he hits the CENTER of the pocket alot!
You're my kinda guy. I spent many a hour with Brian. Man, I remember so much about him, I could write a book. Literally. We made many stops together. He was a demon. I will publish some of the "Carolina Tales" soon with Brian at the top of the list. How about Harold Dollar. Not many went looking for Fat Harold, huh? Rep to you for mentioning my old friend Brian. He is now still "killin' bugs."

What about Hindu? Pokey? Lenny Crandall? Peanut from Goldsboro?

Last edited:

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
jay helfert said:
Brian, Pete and Joe were all good players, especially Pete. But believe me when I tell you that Toby looked for and busted guys just like this, for years and years. On a big table!

I have too agree with you Jay on Toby, I got too see him play in the early
70's with his hippie type appearance, I don't know of ANYONE that beat him, he did stand with the greats of his time period.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam Waltz said:
Oh and one more from my NC days...Charlie Brinson, ol' Straight Arrow could play a bit for sure and is a ton of fun just to be around!
Yep, and how about Greg Brooks. He's in Billiards Digest compared to Cornbread Red. He doesn't even play any more.

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
I never got to play Harold, but I new of his rep and stayed clear myself! I would love to see that "Carolina Tales" when you get it out there man. I spent many a night playin' Brian's dad Dave either in Havelock at B.J.'s Billiards or up in New Bern. Another player that nobody outside of that area ever heard of was a straight shootin' black guy that went by the name of "Boots"...man talkin' about this really brings back some great memories for me of that time in my life! I might just have to come visit the ol' stompin' grounds the next time I get a vacation! The only problem is I've got an evil ex-wife out there that keeps takin' all my money! LOL Take care of yourself man! Thanks for re-kindlin' my past and puttin' a smile on my face today! :)

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam Waltz said:
I never got to play Harold, but I new of his rep and stayed clear myself! I would love to see that "Carolina Tales" when you get it out there man. I spent many a night playin' Brian's dad Dave either in Havelock at B.J.'s Billiards or up in New Bern. Another player that nobody outside of that area ever heard of was a straight shootin' black guy that went by the name of "Boots"...man talkin' about this really brings back some great memories for me of that time in my life! I might just have to come visit the ol' stompin' grounds the next time I get a vacation! The only problem is I've got an evil ex-wife out there that keeps takin' all my money! LOL Take care of yourself man! Thanks for re-kindlin' my past and puttin' a smile on my face today! :)
Boots, what a memory. He still plays. Me, Ed Demar and Coltrain went looking for him and Mike outrun giving him the eight. Man, he beat up on quite a few of us from Greenville for quite a while. I just stopped in at BJ's, Morehead City, and Friends two weeks ago. Boots is from somewhere near Robersonville. Me and Lenny went to play him in a truckstop/convenience store in 1988. Boots sent us home unhappy. Those were the days. I remember going to Robersonville and being the only white guy in a converted house/poolroom. Gotta Love it. How about Slim? Al Gurganis? Ricky Huggins? Buddy Huggins?

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
LOL Speakin' of weird "pool halls" in that area of the country...there was a place a friend of mine took me to back in the mid 90's called "The Chicken Farm"! It was awesome! It was an actual farmer's barn with hardwood floors and about six barboxes that they'd thrown in there! I'm talkin' haybail cores for tables man! It was great, but what was unbelievable was how much money changed hands in that place on a nightly basis! There was more action on those six tables and more high level shooting in such a small room than I had seen my whole time in N.C.! It wasn't the "big" sets that impressed me is was the fact that EVERYONE in the place was ready and willing to play for $100 a set and up! I only went there two times winning about $700 the first night and about $300 the next trip, but oh what a blast it was to play there!

I don't remember most of the people I was around by name back then, but Al's name rings a bell. Hell, it's been over 10 years since I was out there, but boy did I love that time! Next time you go by B.J.'s place down there in Havelock, tell him hello for me and let him know I always did and always will appreciate his friendship. I hope he's doing well.

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam Waltz said:
LOL Speakin' of weird "pool halls" in that area of the country...there was a place a friend of mine took me to back in the mid 90's called "The Chicken Farm"! It was awesome! It was an actual farmer's barn with hardwood floors and about six barboxes that they'd thrown in there! I'm talkin' haybail cores for tables man! It was great, but what was unbelievable was how much money changed hands in that place on a nightly basis! There was more action on those six tables and more high level shooting in such a small room than I had seen my whole time in N.C.! It wasn't the "big" sets that impressed me is was the fact that EVERYONE in the place was ready and willing to play for $100 a set and up! I only went there two times winning about $700 the first night and about $300 the next trip, but oh what a blast it was to play there!

I don't remember most of the people I was around by name back then, but Al's name rings a bell. Hell, it's been over 10 years since I was out there, but boy did I love that time! Next time you go by B.J.'s place down there in Havelock, tell him hello for me and let him know I always did and always will appreciate his friendship. I hope he's doing well.
Pretty sure the place has new ownership. Oh yeah, how about the "Boar's Nest?" I went there one night, and Skeet, Bobby McKown (great player from Virginia Beach and CueMaster), Lenny, Pokey, Charlie Brinson, and a handful of others are ALL gambling. Three bartables, dance floor falling through, and bar made from scrap. This place had a dirt floor on the way in. It was near Greenville, and maybe Ayden? No, off HWY 33? I don't remember. I do remember meeting a beautiful lady there and wondering what the hell she would be doing in such a place. How about the bartable in the tinroofed place in Turkey Quarter? Wow, oh the memories. Happy's in Greenville? I remember when Buster Merchant came in. I was only 19. I thought these guys were poolgods. Take care.

Sam Waltz

My way...
Silver Member
I went to Happy's a few times myself! That era just seemed to be alot more fun to be playin' pool in as I think about it now. Today everyone is so clean and business oriented about the game and they forget what fun it is to have a blast when playin' pool.

To this day there are some great players coming out of the Carolinas. I smile everytime I see Rob Ray or Sammy Monday's name on a tournament chart and I find myself wishing them the best everytime. Stevie Moore was playin' down in S.C. when I was there and got me for $700 one night before I knew who he was. He walked into Keith's Place in Beaufort, S.C. and went straight up to the bartender and stated that this pool hall had the 7! I gladly obliged Mr. Moore by accepting that chanlleng and over the next three hours he relieved me of all that heavy money I had been carrying in my pocket! LOL

boggs41076

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anybody remember a guy from Hazard Ky.. Sid Hurl? I was really young when i saw him play..and best i can remember he was a monster!!
I know The Beard and Bunny Remember him i talked with them about him at the Derby this year.Both said he was incredibly strong barbox 9er. Just wondering if anyone else had any stories about him?:thumbup:

By the way he passed away a couple of months ago..from a long sickness..R.I.P Sid i know my buddy Bob will miss you as will most of the players in Eastern Ky. My condolences to Ricky his son and the rest of the family...

Last edited:

crawfish

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sam Waltz said:
I went to Happy's a few times myself! That era just seemed to be alot more fun to be playin' pool in as I think about it now. Today everyone is so clean and business oriented about the game and they forget what fun it is to have a blast when playin' pool.

To this day there are some great players coming out of the Carolinas. I smile everytime I see Rob Ray or Sammy Monday's name on a tournament chart and I find myself wishing them the best everytime. Stevie Moore was playin' down in S.C. when I was there and got me for $700 one night before I knew who he was. He walked into Keith's Place in Beaufort, S.C. and went straight up to the bartender and stated that this pool hall had the 7! I gladly obliged Mr. Moore by accepting that chanlleng and over the next three hours he relieved me of all that heavy money I had been carrying in my pocket! LOL
I've matched up with Robert over the years. Hell, I used to torture him. Now, he, shall we say, has my number. I saw Sam last weekend at the Jacoby event. Man, there have been some monsters come out of NC over the years. It just breeds good players. How about PeeWee Carroll from Jacksonville, Sparky Ferrell, Mike Cone, Bruce Sutton, Bobby Baker, Peanut from Wake Forest, Roger Jackson, Richie Marshall, Jim Faircloth, and Little Tony Watson. Man, I bet we could come up with 100 Great players from NC just in the past twenty years. Caaaarrrrraaaazzzzy.

bells

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What about Ted Elias from Ohio? I heard that he matched up with alot of people and beat most of them in his garage. The older players from my area say that he beat alot of champions in his garage.