Unknown Purpleheart Sneaky Pete I.D. maybe?

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I understand this is a Sneaky Pete with no real stand out characteristics. If it cannot be identified I would love to here any feedback anyone may have on it based on the photos. Thanks.

Update: I did end up keeping this one in trade for services. I also decided to modify the butt to make it even more mine.

4486182E-14D4-4DCA-B291-77A74F491423.jpeg

11F2B236-AC08-404E-9F84-13A7408719E3.jpeg

C8FEB428-B9FF-4A53-A21E-AF1E858A90A2.jpeg

92D1CB9D-3058-4594-8E15-859FF02C87A0.jpeg

Last edited:

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pin and ferrule look like Meucci.
I agree. The bumper and butt screw are pretty similar to my 1991 Meucci sneaky. My butt screw is installed a bit deeper and the bore is narrower.

Another similarity to my Meucci is that the butt wood below the splice appears to be a veneer over MDF. There is no seam on the outside, so, it is like an MDF cored butt piece. Maybe it was cored to control weight and balance? Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.

Meuccis have long ferrules. Mine are just over 1.2”.

A10C2C8A-E32E-4B9E-9B01-9CD7E07FB1A3.jpeg

817B452F-C208-4814-B7A3-4EF14C9C1F17.jpeg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree. The bumper and butt screw are pretty similar to my 1991 Meucci sneaky. My butt screw is installed a bit deeper and the bore is narrower.

Another similarity to my Meucci is that the butt wood below the splice appears to be a veneer over MDF. There is no seam on the outside, so, it is like an MDF cored butt piece. Maybe it was cored to control weight and balance? Maybe I have no idea what I am talking about.

View attachment 661335
View attachment 661336
Meuccis weren't veneer'd over mdf. I don't know any cue that uses mdf as a core. Maybe a cheap asian import.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
First sneaky i ever saw looked just like the OP's. It was a Meucci used by a top roadie on his way thru Tulsa. Must have been been about '81-'82ish.

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meuccis weren't veneer'd over mdf. I don't know any cue that uses mdf as a core. Maybe a cheap asian import.
I bought it from the billiard store that Loree Jon’s father owned. They were Meucci dealers while she was one of their reps.

Mine is a solid player.

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It’s a Meucci.

Here‘s mine, circa 1984. Certainly not mdf…

9FE2F077-23D0-48E1-A19F-E433C9123558.jpeg
D02AE1BD-68AC-4246-A80B-DE737B5A492E.jpeg

BBDBEEDA-7DAA-4B37-96A4-114043A0445B.jpeg
5BC5306F-FBB7-43C8-9173-EF97C10DEC83.jpeg

D0D8AACB-F53C-410A-9FBB-3EAAD929914B.jpeg

Attachments

• EAB5B674-2209-45CA-9961-1150CC3AADC9.jpeg
    EAB5B674-2209-45CA-9961-1150CC3AADC9.jpeg
    29.2 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

View attachment 661335
View attachment 661336

That‘s strange. I’ve never seen a Meucci core like that. The bumper is shorter too, but I don’t know that either means anything…

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member

View attachment 661335
View attachment 661336

That's not cored or "over MDF"

I don't mean any disrespect, but you may want to get your eyes checked. The wood covered by the bumper exposed differently than the uncovered wood

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's not cored or "over MDF"

I don't mean any disrespect, but you may want to get your eyes checked. The wood covered by the bumper exposed differently than the uncovered wood
I know. It looks strange because there is no obvious end grain except for the outer rim of the butt. It stands out that the outer edge looks different than the core.

My cataracted lenses were replaced last year. I need reading glasses, but I see fine.

AF0E1A25-3719-4962-B061-755C10172460.jpeg

That‘s strange. I’ve never seen a Meucci core like that. The bumper is shorter too, but I don’t know that either means anything…
Perhaps there were differences in construction over the years. Maybe Bob got his sneaky butts from different sources over the years.

I owned a 4P4V Meucci cue at the time and the shafts were interchangeable. Same diameters at the joint. I am pretty sure my ferrule is PVC. I could smell it when I was burnishing a tip.

Another difference in my sneaky over my expectation was that mine has a stiff taper, very similar to my Schick shafts. I asked Bob Meucci about it and he said they made tapers like mine as well as the longer tapers they are known for. He claimed that he invented that taper.

I’m just trying to be helpful. If Lorre Jon’s family ripped me off, it was with a really good cue for $110. Still straight and plays great.

Last edited:

SSDiver2112

2b || !2b t^ ?
I cleaned up the end and it is solid. What looked like a layer was just build-up and exposure.

EFAE391F-8E96-42CC-A3EA-04DB403675B0.jpeg

I also have another. I am cleaning and re-tipping for someone. He may be selling. I’ll update later if so. I’m interested in the purpleheart myself.

D0B50627-FF7D-4D55-8441-4B3BEA0980CF.jpeg

Last edited:

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know. It looks strange because there is no obvious end grain except for the outer rim of the butt. It stands out that the outer edge looks different than the core.

My cataracted lenses were replaced last year. I need reading glasses, but I see fine.

View attachment 661374

Perhaps there were differences in construction over the years. Maybe Bob got his sneaky butts from different sources over the years.

I owned a 4P4V Meucci cue at the time and the shafts were interchangeable. Same diameters at the joint. I am pretty sure my ferrule is PVC. I could smell it when I was burnishing a tip.

Another difference in my sneaky over my expectation was that mine has a stiff taper, very similar to my Schick shafts. I asked Bob Meucci about it and he said they made tapers like mine as well as the longer tapers they are known for. He claimed that he invented that taper.

I’m just trying to be helpful. If Lorre Jon’s family ripped me off, it was with a really good cue for $110. Still straight and plays great.
I’m not questioning yours at all. Just commented that it looks different.

They’re great cues. Mine has sat in a cheap case in the trunk of my car in Florida for over 20 years as a “just in case“ cue. Still pretty much dead straight. That’s almost scary!

Sealegs50

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’m not questioning yours at all. Just commented that it looks different.

They’re great cues. Mine has sat in a cheap case in the trunk of my car in Florida for over 20 years as a “just in case“ cue. Still pretty much dead straight. That’s almost scary!
I used mine for playing in bars. I figure mine will be my last cue. I will sell off everything else before moving to the old folks home. I played with mine this afternoon.