Updates on names I don't hear about much anymore?

jalapus logan

be all. and supports it to
Silver Member
Admittedly, I live under a rock. Nevertheless, I used to hear these names winning a bunch, now crickets...I wonder how they are playing these days and if not playing, what they are up to (short list, random players, random order)???

Stevie "The Blade" Moore - did he retire? Wasn't he doing lessons at some point?
Thorsten Hohmann - won a ton back when we were all younger, but don't see his name on tourney win lists much anymore...amazing to me given how great he played (and probably still plays)
Gabe Owen??? - won US open back in the day...played strong...then my internet broke cuz I don't see his name anymore
Ralf Souquet- won everything...did he just scale back on traveling?
Ryan McCreesh??? Great player, whassup?
Jason Kirkwood - remember hearing about legendary bar table packages
Jesse Bowman - same as JK above

Just curious, times change I reckon and like I mentioned, I dwell under a rock, but I hope all of the above are competing somewhere.

Last edited:

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
ralf is as active as ever, he's been to most if not all big 9-ball events this year. got to QF in the US open iirc. i think he won a eurotour, or european championship. could been last year. toastie plays many events too but no results, seems to struggle with his stroke / staying down on the shot.

jalapus logan

Silver Member
ralf is as active as ever, he's been to most if not all big 9-ball events this year. got to QF in the US open iirc. i think he won a eurotour, or european championship. could been last year. toastie plays many events too but no results, seems to struggle with his stroke / staying down on the shot.
Glad, but not shocked to hear about Ralf (corrected my spelling)...sounds like he is the same champ he always has been.

I am surprised to hear about Toastie mechanics issues though....those sound too much like myself, not the champ that he is. Hope he can regain top form again so I can see his name on some leader boards in the future. Thanks for the updates, hope you are well and hittin' em good.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thorston still plays the major events. I too am surprised he does not do as well as he used to. Obviously he's older, but I alway put him at the top level in the 2000's, about even with Efren, Busty, etc. He's super fit, and I would have thought he'd be placing high and occasionally winning into his 50's, same as Efren and Busty were.

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Glad, but not shocked to hear about Ralf (corrected my spelling)...sounds like he is the same champ he always has been.

I am surprised to hear about Toastie mechanics issues though....those sound too much like myself, not the champ that he is. Hope he can regain top form again so I can see his name on some leader boards in the future. Thanks for the updates, hope you are well and hittin' em good.
Who is “toastie”?

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Who is “toastie”?
To my recollection, it was Charlie Williams that gave him that nickname over fifteen years ago. It came from the fact that Americans usually pronounce his name as "Thorsten" and not "Torsten", which is how it would be pronounced in German. Charlie converted "Torsten" into Toastie.

Toastie's doing very well as the house pro at Amsterdam Billiards in New York City, so popular as an instructor that he, at times, has to turn away customers.

Last edited:

jalapus logan

Silver Member
Thorston still plays the major events. I too am surprised he does not do as well as he used to. Obviously he's older, but I alway put him at the top level in the 2000's, about even with Efren, Busty, etc. He's super fit, and I would have thought he'd be placing high and occasionally winning into his 50's, same as Efren and Busty were.
Agree completely, well said.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Kirkwood plays in Michigan battling it out with people like Jeremy Seaman whenever there’s a big dog tournament.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To my recollection, it was Charlie Williams that gave him that nickname over fifteen years ago. It came from the fact that American's usually pronounce his name as "Thorsten" and not "Torsten", which is how it would be pronounced in German. Charlie converted "Torsten" into Toastie.

He's doing very well as the house pro at Amsterdam Billiards in New York City, so popular as an instructor that he, at times, has to turn away customers.
Interesting nickname for someone AKA the Hitman...

Reactions: sjm

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

he's about the same age as orcullo, pagulayan, lee van, alcaide. melling would be thereabout too. of the lot, alcaide has actually improved with age, and the others hasn't changed that much. i haven't seen thorsten play well since covid. he's yippy. he still plays good position but misses easy shots

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Ryan "Genie Man" McCreesh is an avid fisherman and still plays in local tournaments from time to time, living in Update New York. I did read on Facebook that he was asking for a ride from a fellow pool player to attend a tournament in Maryland. So he still plays but not at the same frequency as he once did. He sports a long white beard now, reminding me of ZZTop.

Pushout

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Moore retired, Gabe's making cues with his dad Bob, Kirkwood is still at it afaik.
Stevie got married, I know. Since then I haven't heard anything much of him. He was giving lesson but haven't heard anything in quite a while now.