Upgrading my cue

Daryle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing for a while with a Robinson, I like the feel of it, but time to take the next step me thinks.

I'm looking to move to a Predator. Not sure why apart from the positive feedback on here. McDermott maybe in the mix.

Looking for some suggestions on which cue I should choose. As will then find your suggestion and test out the feel and playability. All your input is appreciated. Budget is not set.

Thanks in advance.

Daryle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

flyrv9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I suggest you try out some cues (you're interested in) first before making a decision. People in your league or in tournaments you know may let you borrow theirs to hit a few. Remember lots of inexpensive cues play well. Much beyond a couple hundred or so - you're paying for artwork and not playability. Nothing wrong with a nice cue from a talented artist; but it won't win you any more games. It is nice to have a second shaft which raises the price obviously.

Celophanewrap

Call me Grace
Silver Member
Whats' a Robinson? Why not try several? I don't know anything about Robinson, but maybe try out a Schon, Joss, an OB, maybe some medium level customs, maybe Dominiak. Also, if you've never played with an LD shaft it may take some getting used to. I might suggest first looking for an OB or Predator shaft to fit the Robinson, if that works for you start to look at the Predators or the others

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Been playing for a while with a Robinson, I like the feel of it, but time to take the next step me thinks.

I'm looking to move to a Predator. Not sure why apart from the positive feedback on here. McDermott maybe in the mix.

Looking for some suggestions on which cue I should choose. As will then find your suggestion and test out the feel and playability. All your input is appreciated. Budget is not set.

Thanks in advance.

Daryle

Up grading for looks or playing ability ,, if it's playing ability you might get that out of LD shaft

BigDeal52

Don Pearce
Silver Member

Thanks in advance.

Daryle

While you are trying out shafts you should give the Jacoby Hybrid Edge a shot or two. It is LD and plays nice; it is worth a look see.

Ty-Tanic

Ty-Tanic Makes U Panic
Silver Member
Have you thought about Pechauer cues? I went to my local billiards store and tried just about every cue they have. I ended up getting a Pechauer cue, because I feel like it is the most bang for your buck. Do take in mind they have their own patient joint system, but shouldn't be a problem. OB is another great brand that won't break your wallet to bad. Best of luck.

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Robinson

Whats' a Robinson? Why not try several? I don't know anything about Robinson, but maybe try out a Schon, Joss, an OB, maybe some medium level customs, maybe Dominiak. Also, if you've never played with an LD shaft it may take some getting used to. I might suggest first looking for an OB or Predator shaft to fit the Robinson, if that works for you start to look at the Predators or the others

According to the last Blue Book (2005), John Robinson lives in Arizona and has been making cues since 1960.

All handmade. I've heard good things about them.

mortuarymike-nv

mortuarymike-nv
Silver Member
Predator

Thanks in advance.

Daryle

Hi Daryle

I sure wished I would of had a mentor to guild me when I first started to look for a life long main player.

Not everyone has the same tastes in cues and how they are made.

Personally I like a 3/8x10 pin with a wood to wood joint just like a McDermott and tend to not even consider a cue with a stainless steel joint. Now that you know my opinion is bias and most of the members in here might be bias too, it once again falls on your shoulders of personable preference.

Here is the real education, You got people like most of the pros that can kick butt with a bar cue.

My step father won a trap shoot event, he was using a single shot Savage Stevens shot gun with the front sights missing and he only paid 35 bucks for brand new.
My point is tools do not make the mechanic and a new cue doesn't make you a better player.

But its always nice to have the right tools for the job.

Good luck in your search

JAlan

Gerbil Jeff
Silver Member
I agree with Eric, if it's a John Robinson cue (which typically have the pin in the shaft), you've already got a very nice cue in my opinion. John is a well respected custom cue maker that's been making cues since the 70s if my memory serves me correctly.

To take a step up from there, I think I'd look at going to another custom maker.

Just my $.02 :)

J. Alan

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member

I agree. Just buy an LD shaft for your Robinson... see how you like it. heck, you can resell it after a minor depreciation of course... but small price to pay to give it a whirl.

Of course, OB is the way to go. If I want Chinese I get take out ;)

Ak Guy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OB cues

If I was starting over with a production cue I would look hard at an OB "sneaky pete" or their Darts Cue. They come with your choice of OB shafts. Looks to me like one of the best deals out there. I have shot quit a bit with a OB Classic shaft that has a Soft Kamui Black tip. I had the shaft turned to 12.5mm with an 18 inch Pro Taper to match my other shafts and I really like it.

Kim Bye

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If your looking at production cues, you should check out Mezz. In my humble opinion, the best production cues out there.

Poolhalljunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Cue Selection

Thanks in advance.

Daryle

I would take what you like about the Robinson, and loot for those aspects in your next cue. Best thing to do is go to one of the big tournaments and try a few of the cues if the dealer will let you, judge the hit for your self.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I agree. Just buy an LD shaft for your Robinson... see how you like it. heck, you can resell it after a minor depreciation of course... but small price to pay to give it a whirl.

Of course, OB is the way to go. If I want Chinese I get take out ;)

Can you get that Robinson screw/joint for the shaft ?

Sundappen

Registered
Robinson with Predator shafts

I've been playing with a custom Robinson for more than a decade now, and just love it. :thumbup: I quickly changed shaft when the Predator came onto the scene, and have used every version except the "Fat". Since the joint is inverted (the screw is in the shaft) I have sent partials (non finished) shafts to Robinson, and he has inserted the joint and finished the shaft. Always excellent job, and service! Highly recommended! :thumbup:
Sincerly, Tom