US Open 9-Ball, 2023, Atlantic City, Sep 25-30

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
@iusedtoberich were you trying to screenshot with a phone or on the laptop?
1695743429475.png

web capture right here blocks me out too

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Did you have a tough draw? Hope you at least had fun.
No... I didn't (tough draw that is). That's what bothers me the most. On paper I shouldn't have beaten my first round, (my 675 vs his 735), but I kept finding a way to not take advantage of the opportunities. If there was ever a pro match I was going to win. It was that one.

2nd loss was just a lopsided roll affair. Never really had a chance to assert myself.

I'm a pretty sporty club player, and never had aspirations to he a pro. That said, these tables are humbling and I hope the viewers can appreciate what the elite can still on them.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounded like Steve Schlinger on the announcing. There is a Schlanger who is a sports announcer.

seems like the one, hockey and cycling etc. espn and IPT tried general sports announcers for pool, wasn't any good imo. pool is too complicated and has too many nuances for that

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
That said, these tables are humbling and I hope the viewers can appreciate what the elite can still on them.

Other players might appreciate it. But totally wrong if you want a prime time viewable sport. The majority like excitement, amazing shots, etc... That is lessened by pocket size. But, good if pool would like to remain in the small ppv arena. Regular viewers could care less. They would just wonder why the slow play and safeties all the time.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes Marchroom has moved towards standardizing them. As someone previously pointed out JV posted a picture of them. I don't recall if they are 4" or a hair larger.

I'm not really complaining, I've just noticed A LOT of balls end up in the jaws, especially as the tourney progresses and the cloth breaks in. There's sort of a spectrum where you have snooker pockets on one end, where few balls hang up, and on the opposite end you have Diamond's nearing parallel facings that leave balls sitting in the jaws. In between the two extremes, you have a more flared pocket like a Gold Crown that spits balls out.

I'm not saying anything needs to change here, as I think Matchroom is doing great getting this dialed in. It's just another variable to keep an eye on.

i'm for the tighter pockets as well (look at the cuelee's 9-ball event last week with 4⅜ pockets as an example of tables being too easy for the top boys) but these tables seem tougher than the previous events, spanish open etc

AtLarge

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Man, the background noise on the stream yesterday and today is really annoying. It's not just noise from a lot of people and a lot of tables in use; that's understandable and not a problem. But there are some other semi-musical noises ringing constantly in the background.

edit -- and sort of an overall roar

Last edited:

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Other players might appreciate it. But totally wrong if you want a prime time viewable sport. The majority like excitement, amazing shots, etc... That is lessened by pocket size. But, good if pool would like to remain in the small ppv arena. Regular viewers could care less. They would just wonder why the slow play and safeties all the time.
I guess so... but there's a reason a football field is 100yrds and not 10ft. The Virgin viewing public don't know any better and there's still amazing shots being fired in. The content of which will increase on the stream after the dead money have been eliminated and the elite get more dialed in.

As someone that just got tortured by these tables. I think they're moving in the right direction.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I guess so... but there's a reason a football field is 100yrds and not 10ft. The Virgin viewing public don't know any better and there's still amazing shots being fired in. The content of which will increase on the stream after the dead money have been eliminated and the elite get more dialed in.

As someone that just got tortured by these tables. I think they're moving in the right direction.

I've been around pool since around 8 (now 49). If I had a dollar for how many times I have heard "right direction" I would put Musk in the completely broke list, by comparison.

Football fields don't change size all the time either ;-) If tight pockets are the thing, play snooker. Can get paid millions playing that. But you know, snooker is just the same as it always is, it does not need change (kinda like the football field).

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I've been around pool since around 8 (now 49). If I had a dollar for how many times I have heard "right direction" I would put Musk in the completely broke list, by comparison.

Football fields don't change size all the time either ;-) If tight pockets are the thing, play snooker. Can get paid millions playing that. But you know, snooker is just the same as it always is, it does not need change (kinda like the football field).
Clearly you're free to have your opinion. Mine just doesn't happen to align with yours. I'm ok with that.

I haven't seen a mis-step by MR yet, (including ball colour). Based on what I'm seeing here. Pro pool is in the best hands possible.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Clearly you're free to have your opinion. Mine just doesn't happen to align with yours. I'm ok with that.

I haven't seen a mis-step by MR yet, (including ball colour). Based on what I'm seeing here. Pro pool is in the best hands possible.

Of course. I am ok with that too.

Playing conditions for pool never needed to change, just the people managing/marketing it. And I did not say amazing shots are not made. I said they are lessened. That is just a certainty.

But, if MR is the ones who put on the European Open, I thought it was like watching paint dry. Loud shot clocks going off constantly, players all dressed the same, etc... I already made a post somewhere about it. But atleast we have ashousepro giving us the Classic matches of the past every Tuesday ;-) People like seeing a players personality you know...

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

Well, all I know is... Watching pros run rack after rack after rack after rack, with basically the same exact layout, gets pretty boring too. And that's what you get when the pockets are bigger, irrespective of break rules. The pros will ALWAYS figure out a repeatable break when balls are easy to make on the break.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Well, all I know is... Watching pros run rack after rack after rack after rack, with basically the same exact layout, gets pretty boring too. And that's what you get when the pockets are bigger, irrespective of break rules. The pros will ALWAYS figure out a repeatable break when balls are easy to make on the break.
Are you referring to any match in particular? Point out a professional match like this. Shoot, I will watch it. 2-3 racks is a bit more common occurance, so any that are rack after rack after rack after rack will do. But, we are all pool lovers and may appreciate safety play at times. I was speaking general viewers (growth of viewers, TV).

Also, you could break balls the rest of your life and you will never get the exact same layout.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you referring to any match in particular? Point out a professional match like this. Shoot, I will watch it. 2-3 racks is a bit more common occurance, so any that are rack after rack after rack after rack will do. But, we are all pool lovers and may appreciate safety play at times. I was speaking general viewers (growth of viewers, TV).

Also, you could break balls the rest of your life and you will never get the exact same layout.
Check out Corey’s matches on you tube

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member

I watched Vidas and Dan Louie do this in WA state 15 years ago, and neither is really top tier any more. They literally got the exact same layout more or less, the entire set. I myself ran a 5 pack on Joey Gray at Derby the year Morra won the Banks. Tight pockets means players can't get away with soft breaking, a d hard breaks result in more random layouts.