US Open 9-ball updates thread..

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I must have watched some other Trump than the one most of you watched.

He played great, his break was about the best I've seen and he makes pocketing balls look extremely easy.

If he gets to Shaw I'll take 2 to1 on the $$$ and 3 games to 9, or 4 games to 11 if any of you want to gamble.

He's gonna get destroyed by a real pool player after all

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
It’s not an insult, it’s a description. Taking a dump on people’s ability and telling them to not even try earns you that description. Some people wear it like a badge of honor btw.
If you looked at Nick’s posting history, you might take that back.
Although I agree that nobody should be barred. A teenager won the Johnston City all round years ago,,,he didn’t know he was that good either. I say keep it the US OPEN

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
The televised first round matches haven't really done the game any favors. If Matchroom are trying to grow the game and get a bigger audience, showing ranked players beating up on below average league players 9-0 or 9-1 isn't going to get new viewers tuning back in. It's not necessarily the problem with the lower ranked players though. If they are going to keep the tournament as an open, it should really be a blind draw, even if it risks the top players going out earlier.
I agree with seeding. These are earned positions

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
I love the highlight video on Matchroom's youtube channel from yesterday. "Here's some world beaters and a famous snooker player kicking the teeth in on some players you never heard of."

Yes it is the Open and everyone should be allowed to enter if the pay the entry fee before the cutoff. I also commend some of these players and absolutely none of them should be made fun of at all, which is something that the Day2 Live chat on youtube did ad nauseum.

My recommendations:

If you want to keep the seeding like this, then dont put these matches on the TV tables. I couldnt imagine being one of these players who put up 750 for the chance of a lifetime to play with the best in the world, pretty much knowing you are going to lose but also there for the experience and a 1st hand learning opportunity, just to have people make fun of you for your entire match on youtube.

If you are going to continue to put the lesser players on the TV tables, then disable chat. It's appalling. Like I said, these players should be commended for having the guts to enter and play on a TV table.

Another take away from that shit-show... All day there was "When does Trump play, When does Trump play..." even after his match. Then when they ask the score and it 9-0 you get al the snooker fans puffing there chest out like he accomplished something lololol

I would say the level of rudeness and ignorance coming from the youtube chat was beyond belief, but it wasn't. It is the internet and that is in turn compounded by it being pool players on the internet and it turn compounded again by anonymous keyboard commando "I'm out from my keyboard" pool players on the internet.

Then it turns political... then it's talk about masks...

You will get less viewers in the early rounds and less amateurs participating in the event if stuff like that continues.

Fucking abysmal.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Everyone talking about how good Judd's break was...

Yes he hit them solid... but fast cloth, template rack and breaking from anywhere behind the line... they made it easy for him.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I must have watched some other Trump than the one most of you watched.

He played great, his break was about the best I've seen and he makes pocketing balls look extremely easy.

If he gets to Shaw I'll take 2 to1 on the $$$ and 3 games to 9, or 4 games to 11 if any of you want to gamble.

He's gonna get destroyed by a real pool player after all
I'll gve you 2-1 on a 100 if he plays Shaw. My 200 to your 100, you've got Trump.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool doesn't require the cinch stroke of snooker. The tables are smaller and the pockets bigger. It is a faster looser game. Many pool players literally run around the table. They don't play like robots.

tony drago used a snooker stance as well, was he fast and loose enough for you?

stances overall have crept down to being more similar to snooker than to the previous more upright billiards style. even among american players. not likely to change back anytime soon..

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I love the highlight video on Matchroom's youtube channel from yesterday. "Here's some world beaters and a famous snooker player kicking the teeth in on some players you never heard of."

Yes it is the Open and everyone should be allowed to enter if the pay the entry fee before the cutoff. I also commend some of these players and absolutely none of them should be made fun of at all, which is something that the Day2 Live chat on youtube did ad nauseum.

My recommendations:

If you want to keep the seeding like this, then dont put these matches on the TV tables. I couldnt imagine being one of these players who put up 750 for the chance of a lifetime to play with the best in the world, pretty much knowing you are going to lose but also there for the experience and a 1st hand learning opportunity, just to have people make fun of you for your entire match on youtube.

If you are going to continue to put the lesser players on the TV tables, then disable chat. It's appalling. Like I said, these players should be commended for having the guts to enter and play on a TV table.

Another take away from that shit-show... All day there was "When does Trump play, When does Trump play..." even after his match. Then when they ask the score and it 9-0 you get al the snooker fans puffing there chest out like he accomplished something lololol

I would say the level of rudeness and ignorance coming from the youtube chat was beyond belief, but it wasn't. It is the internet and that is in turn compounded by it being pool players on the internet and it turn compounded again by anonymous keyboard commando "I'm out from my keyboard" pool players on the internet.

You will get less viewers in the early rounds and less amateurs participating in the event if stuff like that continues.

Fucking abysmal.

youtube livechat on any sporting event is always a river of puke.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
All I can say is that Matchroom got it right by first inviting and then publicizing Judd Trump playing in the U.S. Open. Just look at all the publicity they've received already by having him here, which was their motive in the first place, to garner more publicity for the tournament. Heaven forbid, the media may take an interest in what is going on here and put a blurb or two about the famous snooker star taking a shot at a big U.S. pool tournament. Now wouldn't that be a lovely thing to see. Job well done is all I have to say. Every Trump win is a plus for this event, and remember it's double elimination, so he should be around for awhile. Pretty soon, maybe The Donald himself will be talking about his cousin who is winning at the US. Open. :LOL:

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Pool doesn't require the cinch stroke of snooker. The tables are smaller and the pockets bigger. It is a faster looser game. Many pool players literally run around the table. They don't play like robots.

Did you even watch him play? He didn't look like a robot to me.

Kazakis, Gorst and Kaci all play much more robotic.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
I don't think it carries over to pool. I would not want new pool players learning snooker style for pool. Snooker is not played at all in the US. A snooker table is a novelty mostly used to play golf.
In my humble opinion, you're wildly wrong here.

The traditional snooker fundamentals fast tracks would be players much like adopting an aiming system would.

There's nothing a "pool styled" player can do that someone with snooker fundamentals can't do. On the flip side, the flaws found in goofy strokes/stances by "pool stylized" players are a non-issue for the snooker player.

All that said, I will agree that the traditional snooker approach gives the game a more sterile look.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'

My recommendations:

Fucking abysmal.
Just my personal take, but I agree with all except the bolded.

If you told me that I would be guarenteed to play Trump 9ball in the USopen and it would be streamed live, I'd pony up more than just the $750. I highly doubt I'd do much better than this Maggie individual, but I certainly wouldn't care.

hotelyorba

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Not a lot of top players run around the table anymore, a lot of them play at a pace some people would call 'slow'. And about the 'robotic' type of play, look at European players like Feijen, Kaci, Gorst, the top Polish players. Or outside Europe: Tyler Styler even. There is a determined, drilled-in form some people call robotic. I would say, the better the player (i.e. more likely to reach final stages of a big tournament), the higher the chance his fundamentals look robotic.
Pool is not what it used to be anymore, I guess.

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Trump played well but not as great as I’m seeing everyone say. He gave away plenty of opportunities, any of our local murderers would have stomped him. Although he was playing weak competition, he may have stepped it up a bit had he been playing stronger competition. He won’t win against a 800 plus player.

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This seeded bracket is terrible. Not a match on the tv table of any interest.

2 days so far too.