US Open 9-ball updates thread..

JusticeNJ

Four Points/Steel Joints
Silver Member
Earl offers some pretty honest observation during the interview: "I don't know if these guys play better than the guys I grew up with, but there's more of them. There's more guys that can beat you."

MrKnives

People can test their skills & put up their money where ever they like. Typical pool player jackasses making such ridiculous assessments. Instead of wondering why someone puts their money up to compete while you keyboard champions stay home, try coming up with the next creative title to complain about cornhole being on ESPN.

This main forum is a prime example why I can't stand the majority of fans.
I hear your point. I would though much rather see an approach like the PGA does. I’ve put up money to play the local qualifiers and tried to win my way into the big show but you couldn’t just pay your way into the big game without having worked your way through tough tourneys. This would be easy and fun to do with pool hosting qualifiers throughout the US and let the top x number of Fargo guys exempt into the USOpen.

middleofnowhere

Registered
No, it's time to get worried now! People got on me for saying the 7ft table killed American pool. These (as expected) results are a perfect example. In America you go to a bar to attempt to pick up girls and get drunk and use pool to kill time while doing so. In Europe pool is played in what amounts to private clubs that people go to improve in pool. In the Philippines people play pool to eat. In Taiwan and China it's a national sport.

Also, look at the physical condition of the European and Asian players vs. the typical fat slobs that play pool in America. They are athletes and we're diabetics. When Shane eventually loses his prowess, like Earl has, put a fork in ever seeing another American pool champion.
What the fu#k are you talking about?

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As a bunch of ball bangers...I'd think you'd appreciate the beauty of anybody posting up an entry and taking their shot.

In what other pro sporting event can this be done?
Nascar?
NBA?

I know plenty of guys who are not even short stop level and beaten legitimate pros. 9 ball is just that kind of game. You control the entire game when you are at the table. Run a few racks, get a few rolls...and play your game.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In heads-up poker, the best strategy for a complete amateur playing a pro, is to just shove all-in preflop when acting first. This completely negates any edge the pro will have post flop.

I think I would take the same approach in the US Open if I couldn't run more than 3 balls and was playing a pro. I'd go for the 9 on every ball-in-hand, and hit the balls as hard as I could anytime I didn't have an easy shot. Just do everything in my power to get lucky.

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
In heads-up poker, the best strategy for a complete amateur playing a pro, is to just shove all-in preflop when acting first. This completely negates any edge the pro will have post flop.

I think I would take the same approach in the US Open if I couldn't run more than 3 balls and was playing a pro. I'd go for the 9 on every ball-in-hand, and hit the balls as hard as I could anytime I didn't have an easy shot. Just do everything in my power to get lucky.
So what you are saying is not only lose but look like you can't play at all? I don't think I agree with this strategy.

I think I'd rather make a poor attempt and let some people think it's just nerves rather then let all the people think I'm a banger.

Nyquil

Anyone got a link to earl and judd? Like watching both of those guys. Couldn't find anything but highlights

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So what you are saying is not only lose but look like you can't play at all? I don't think I agree with this strategy.

I think I'd rather make a poor attempt and let some people think it's just nerves rather then let all the people think I'm a banger.

Getting lucky is literally the only chance someone who can't run 3 balls would have against someone like Shane.

Plus imagine how entertaining it would be to watch someone use this strategy against Earl.

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My take on Trump is he certainly can't win against top tier 9 ball pro's but I believe I've seen enough to know he has the skill set and what he lacks wouldn't take him near as long to be among them as it would for a top tier pool player, to get to top level snooker play ,,

Icon of Sin

I can't fold, I need gold. I re-up and reload...
Silver Member
Getting lucky is literally the only chance someone who can't run 3 balls would have against someone like Shane.

Plus imagine how entertaining it would be to watch someone use this strategy against Earl.
Just like poker. You can luck a hand win with your strategy... and in 9ball, you can shit a rack win...

You are going to lose a race to 9 against a world champion whether you try to shit the 9 on every shot or not. You might as well at least make an honest attempt at it and try to play your best and learn something...

Just my opinion, I'm a shit pool player and you probably shouldnt listen to any advice I may give.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I seriously doubt that anyone playing in this US Open can't string 3 balls together but I agree with your sentiment on this. There is a huge difference between being able to run out regularly in practice, often/occasionally in matches against players below or just above your level - and doing the same under the TV lights in a big tournament where you know that whenever you make a mistake your opponent is near 100% to run out on you. So in some spots, hitting the balls hard or going for that carom or combo is the way to go. It also looks good on TV.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why do that? Perhaps a better chance to win would be to be honest with yourself, and every shot that you feel you are less than 90% to make it, just try to lock up 2 balls or more with a safe- it would make running out for them very difficult - it really should not be too hard to do- just rolling the OB into a another ball- any ball on the table where they lock up to some degree or somewhere on the table where there is no true shot for the opponent.

But the is not what the event should be- that's why, yes, it is an OPEN, but there should be some vetting of the participants by skill level or some other method, such as qualifiers.