US Open 9-ball updates thread..

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the US *Open.*

Lou Figueroa
Yes, Lou, it certainly is an "Open" , just saying that there is no harm in having some vetting process for just how "open" a pro tournament should be in reality. Other sport U S Open tournaments do use some sort of vetting process as to who can compete.

Here is a scenario to avoid when it is wide open- High Level Pro A plays a 500 Fargo in round one and wins, Two other 500 Fargo players meet in round 1- Second round High level Pro A is matched by the bracket with the 500 Fargo who won in round 1- High level Pro wins again- easily.

Now High level pro A is already into round 3 without breaking a sweat - I just don't think that is what this tournament should be all about. Of course, in the end, the best will have to beat the second best that week to win it all, no question.

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, Lou, it certainly is an "Open" , just saying that there is no harm in having some vetting process for just how "open" a pro tournament should be in reality. Other sport U S Open tournaments do use some sort of vetting process as to who can compete.

Here is a scenario to avoid when it is wide open- High Level Pro A plays a 500 Fargo in round one and wins, Two other 500 Fargo players meet in round 1- Second round High level Pro A is matched by the bracket with the 500 Fargo who won in round 1- High level Pro wins again- easily.

Now High level pro A is already into round 3 without breaking a sweat - I just don't think that is what this tournament should be all about. Of course, in the end, the best will have to beat the second best that week to win it all, no question.
I thought "Open" means it's not a national championship. For example the US" Open" in tennis is open to all-comers from the USA and beyond, but they still have to qualify (or be good enough to be offered a wildcard). That said, I've no problem with it being open to amateurs.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
When does Earl play again, has he lost yet?
Bracket:

Match assignments and times, live scoring, past match results, etc:

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Earl offers some pretty honest observation during the interview: "I don't know if these guys play better than the guys I grew up with, but there's more of them. There's more guys that can beat you."
once again, earl shares brilliant personal experience with deep personal sorrow

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Golf has a us open but you still have to qualify.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Why do that? Perhaps a better chance to win would be to be honest with yourself, and every shot that you feel you are less than 90% to make it, just try to lock up 2 balls or more with a safe- it would make running out for them very difficult - it really should not be too hard to do- just rolling the OB into a another ball- any ball on the table where they lock up to some degree or somewhere on the table where there is no true shot for the opponent.

But the is not what the event should be- that's why, yes, it is an OPEN, but there should be some vetting of the participants by skill level or some other method, such as qualifiers.
Have you ever tried locking up 2 balls like this? Even the pros have a hard time, not to mention with ball in hand them breaking the cluster up is almost guaranteed.

I'd take the 100MPH shot before this any day because there is absolutely no chance of a reward with your shot

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member

That's what I liked about the World Ten Ball last week in Vegas. Only 64 players but there was no "dead money." Everyone in that field was capable of running out and beating anyone else. Every match was a good match. I prefer a tournament like that to the first three days of the U.S. Open. If I wanted to watch this event in person I wouldn't even bother to come until day four. Although there are definitely some good match-ups on the Winners Side already today.

What I'm seeing on the charts now is that most (if not all) the dead money players will be gone today. There are also quite a few "no name or unknown" players who are very good pool players, just based on their results so far. It's a big country and even bigger planet, and this event draws players out of the woodwork to see how they match up against other good players. I think what we are seeing here is some guys who are local champions, many of whom have jobs and don't travel, that show up to play in this one big Open pool tournament a year.

Last edited:

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Have you ever tried locking up 2 balls like this? Even the pros have a hard time, not to mention with ball in hand them breaking the cluster up is almost guaranteed.

I'd take the 100MPH shot before this any day because there is absolutely no chance of a reward with your shot
Really? I am talking about playing a legit safe- NOT giving ball in hand after the attempt! So you think just whacking at the balls makes more sense than playing a controlled safe where you put 2 balls into lock up mode? My opinion differs, would rather try to control the action if I feel way outmatched than just leave everything to wild speculation - everyone handles difficult situations differently I guess. Kind of like life itself - isn't it?:unsure:

To each his own - in any event, the whole idea is just ludicrous to begin with - that was my point- if we have folks in this event who have to even dream of playing in this manner to win then they just don't belong there - period.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's what I liked about the World Ten Ball last week in Vegas. Only 64 players but there was no "dead money." Everyone in that field was capable of running out and beating anyone else. Every match was a good match. I prefer a tournament like that to the first three days of the U.S. Open. If I wanted to watch this event in person I wouldn't even bother to come until day four. Although there are definitely some good match-ups on the Winners Side already today.

What I'm seeing on the charts now is that most (if not all) the dead money players will be gone today. There are also quite a few "no name or unknown" players who are very good pool players, just based on their results so far. It's a big country and even bigger planet, and this event draws players out of the woodwork to see how they match up against other good players. I think what we are seeing here is some guys who are local champions, many of whom have jobs and don't travel, that show up to play in this one big Open pool tournament a year.
I would agree 100% - Fine with me if they leave it where anybody can enter, but then the first few days do become more like an appendix then the heart of the matter:) - maybe it is really about getting as much money form entry fees as possible, due to lack of heavy money investment from sponsors- I don't know.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Really? I am talking about playing a legit safe- NOT giving ball in hand after the attempt! So you think just whacking at the balls makes more sense than playing a controlled safe where you put 2 balls into lock up mode? My opinion differs, would rather try to control the action if I feel way outmatched than just leave everything to wild speculation - everyone handles difficult situations differently I guess. Kind of like life itself - isn't it?:unsure:

To each his own - in any event, the whole idea is just ludicrous to begin with - that was my point- if we have folks in this event who have to even dream of playing in this manner to win then they just don't belong there - period.
These guys are missing with ball in hand, I wouldn't feel too confident in them playing a good safety

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

But we're unlike most other sports -- you can only compare us to other sports where the prize money is as low.

In pool you need the dead money if you're shooting for a high number of entries. It's that simple.

Lou Figueroa

gxman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wednesday matches

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1631711164303.jpg
    FB_IMG_1631711164303.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 168

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

:LOL:

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Table 2 Youtube Live
Orcollo v Corey

Brackets

Live Scores/Fixtures

Matchroom Pool Facebook (For live stream matches announcements)