US Open 9-ball updates thread..

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched all of Judd Trump's matches and I have a feeling he should never be playing pool again not if he's going to continue to play snooker. He's rattling balls in, out and out missing, playing too fast and so on

If he was to keep messing with pool he will ruin his snooker game. I don't think pool demands the kind of precision that snooker does. He actually is looking sloppy and I can't believe that a player like this is the second best snooker player in the world.

I would say "Judd go home and do what you do best and stay the hell away from pool tables".
Well there's cues and balls in the table, pool and snooker are two completely different games.

Its difficult to disagree with that after today!

The first couple of games you could understand as it was completely new (and tbh he played much better), then of course the Jayson game as well was fine, because he shouldn't expect to compete at that level.

Today however was incredibly poor, very surprising.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Judd Trump was just eliminated by a mid level pool player. The game of pool isn't so easy after all, is it!
Alex got beat 11 - 0 without making a ball WHATS YOUR POINT?

Why all the hate for a guy that has been very humble and is helping to grow/support your shitty little sport with shitty paydays?

It would take somebody winning this event 14 times to equal what he wins in 1 event.

Whats really funny is the guy just started playing pool in the last few weeks and finished 32nd - 48th and all of you want to automatically place him as a ~ 740 Fargo, there were/are a lot of players that finish equal or worse than that, and yet you all are patting yourselves on the back like your geniuses.

Take Shanes record at Mosconi and tell me with those results ONLY what type of player he is.

God damn do I hate AZB people sometimes

BlueRaider

Registered
Its difficult to disagree with that after today!

The first couple of games you could understand as it was completely new (and tbh he played much better), then of course the Jayson game as well was fine, because he shouldn't expect to compete at that level.

Today however was incredibly poor, very surprising.
Partied too much in Atlantic City throughout the week, perhaps?

I expected more from him to be honest. But to be fair, my basis for comparison was essentially just Ronnie, who seemed to pretty easily adapt to 9-ball in his Mosconi Cup days. I thought Judd would just pot everything from everywhere, but his potting wasn't even much of a strength. In fact, he missed a lot of balls. To be fair though, he had some really nice shots that a lot of top pros wouldn't take on. That perfect stroke goes a long way on a table that must look to him what a Valley looks like to pro pool players.

And wouldn't it be wild if he developed the yips from this experience and suddenly sank into a huge slump on the snooker table? I would imagine he has been at least slightly humbled by how this week transpired.

BRussell

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Why all the hate for a guy that has been very humble and is helping to grow/support your shitty little sport with shitty paydays?

It would take somebody winning this event 14 times to equal what he wins in 1 event.

Whats really funny is the guy just started playing pool in the last few weeks and finished 32nd - 48th and all of you want to automatically place him as a ~ 740 Fargo, there were/are a lot of players that finish equal or worse than that, and yet you all are patting yourselves on the back like your geniuses.

Take Shanes record at Mosconi and tell me with those results ONLY what type of player he is.

Jay can defend himself if he wants, but I didn’t see any hate for Trump in his post. Every pool video is filled with comments from snooker people saying how dumb and easy pool is, and my guess is that Jay was addressing that belief rather than criticizing Trump.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Partied too much in Atlantic City throughout the week, perhaps?

I expected more from him to be honest. But to be fair, my basis for comparison was essentially just Ronnie, who seemed to pretty easily adapt to 9-ball in his Mosconi Cup days. I thought Judd would just pot everything from everywhere, but his potting wasn't even much of a strength. In fact, he missed a lot of balls. To be fair though, he had some really nice shots that a lot of top pros wouldn't take on. That perfect stroke goes a long way on a table that must look to him what a Valley looks like to pro pool players.

And wouldn't it be wild if he developed the yips from this experience and suddenly sank into a huge slump on the snooker table? I would imagine he has been at least slightly humbled by how this week transpired.

That was my first thought too in all honesty!!!! He does appear to like the odd party, so it wouldn't be a complete surprise ;-)

I think the manner in which he collapsed is the biggest (and potentially most worrying aspect, with regards to his snooker form) surprise. Everyone expected him to pot virtually everything, but come unstuck perhaps on jumps, breaks and general tactical play. However his potting (even quite easy balls in some cases) was very poor.

gerryf

Jay can defend himself if he wants, but I didn’t see any hate for Trump in his post. Every pool video is filled with comments from snooker people saying how dumb and easy pool is, and my guess is that Jay was addressing that belief rather than criticizing Trump.
It's similar to SVB being one of the best pool players in the world, but not getting anywhere in Chinese 8-ball.

Different strokes.

gerryf

That was my first thought too in all honesty!!!! He does appear to like the odd party, so it wouldn't be a complete surprise ;-)

I think the manner in which he collapsed is the biggest (and potentially most worrying aspect, with regards to his snooker form) surprise. Everyone expected him to pot virtually everything, but come unstuck perhaps on jumps, breaks and general tactical play. However his potting (even quite easy balls in some cases) was very poor.
I didn't look at it that closely but someone above thought he was mostly having problems correcting for deflection.

middleofnowhere

Registered

I would have to say that maybe a little bit or more than a little bit it had to do with the commentators. Listening to them go on and on about him kissing his ass sounding like they wanted to go give him a b***job just got a little old. At that point many just wanted to see him have his ass kicked and they got their wish.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I didn't look at it that closely but someone above thought he was mostly having problems correcting for deflection.

Yes, I think that was mostly the case, but some of them were still very surprising (i.e. not much to do with the cue ball and relatively straight on).

That said, anyone can have a bad game, so probably over analytical!

It will be interesting to see who Matchroom gets on-board for next year's UK Open (as they will want a few familiar faces to boost UK tv ratings)...

middleofnowhere

Registered
I don't think deflection had anything to do with anything he was firing in Long shots. This last match he was rattling in balls a few feet from the hole.

He actually missed the ball in the corner that couldn't have been more than 18 inches from the pocket. Almost unmissable with your eyes closed how did that happen. I'm sure it was a lot of self-talk going on in his head saying I'm never doing this again.

BeiberLvr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I watched all of Judd Trump's matches and I have a feeling he should never be playing pool again not if he's going to continue to play snooker. He's rattling balls in, out and out missing, playing too fast and so on

If he was to keep messing with pool he will ruin his snooker game. I don't think pool demands the kind of precision that snooker does. He actually is looking sloppy and I can't believe that a player like this is the second best snooker player in the world.

I would say "Judd go home and do what you do best and stay the hell away from pool tables".
Well there's cues and balls in the table, pool and snooker are two completely different games.

lol

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I don't think deflection had anything to do with anything he was firing in Long shots. This last match he was rattling in balls a few feet from the hole.

He actually missed the ball in the corner that couldn't have been more than 18 inches from the pocket. Almost unmissable with your eyes closed how did that happen. I'm sure it was a lot of self-talk going on in his head saying I'm never doing this again.
I think most American viewers believe Trump came here to win, but fail to realize he came to have fun. Win or lose has no effect on him like it does with every other player in this event. I mean think about it, he's the ONLY millionaire playing in this event! How many players in this event HAVE EVER placed in the money in a Snooker event? There's always going to be animosity towards any NON- Americans playing in this event, yet all the Americans who support this event, fail to realize only TWO American players have won this event since 2006 when John Schmidt won it, and SVB 5 times since! SVB is the ONLY hope of an American ever winning this event again, like it or not!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
It's amazing how many of you root for SVB to lose, until he's the last American standing, then you'll jump on the bandwagon like you've always been in his corner, like a bunch of two faced people that most of you are!!!