US Open 9-ball updates thread..

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Think of it this way Glenn the game of pool is bleeding from two arteries. In this case, tying off just one artery isn't going to prevent its death. We not only need young people in the sport, but we need to train them correctly from the very beginning. They will rise to the top much much faster that way. Think Joshua Filler here. Not only did he start young, there's a 99% probability, no... Make that 100% he had the proper training also. Here's a more recent example...Aloysius Yapp. What an amazing young man! The obviously started young, and obviously has had excellent training.

How many pro football players would we have if it wasn't for Little League, High School, and college football? How many people at 20 years old say to themselves "You know what? Pro football players make a lot of money. I think I'll start playing football today. "

You have bold ideas, Glen. And I hope what you plan comes to fruition. But I think you're forgetting another aspect that definitely needs covered, or any ideas you put in place will be temporary at best.

decent dennis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I can tell you this for sure, Poker really started to grow with live streaming! How many people watch on live streams is more important than how many people you can fit in a poolroom or card room, thats a fact!

Screw trying to count the numbers of people trying to watch in person, anyone counting on them is a fool!!
Poker startedto grow when they started being able to show the hold cards.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here's an analog to consider for the youth. What graduating HS students sets their sights on a minimum wage paying job when looking to the future of building a career? When working at McDonald's pays more in wages than most professional pool players earn in their profession, why would they turn away from playing video games that can pay millions!!
Exactly! Now you get it! You have to start them younger than seniors. You got to start them as a freshman, or possibly even Junior High.... To get them interested... To get them trained.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
Exactly! Now you get it! You have to start them younger than seniors. You got to start them as a freshman, or possibly even Junior High.... To get them interested... To get them trained.
Q
How is this suppose to excite new players to want to be future professional pool players?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210922-105537_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210922-105537_Chrome.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 54

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if that would work in the USA. It does work in Europe where they have academies where the kids play pool every day. Similar to the baseball academies in the Dominican Republic. The place with the biggest concentration of great pool players today is the Philippines because the sport is very popular and they are in constant action. They don't have an academy. They learn by playing pool. The motivation is making money. If you win you get backers and to keep your backers you need to keep winning.

In this country kids have a lot more options and not many want to invest the time to get to a high level.

Lee Vann Corteza won the 9 ball competition at the 2020 DCC and I don't think he showed up for the U S Open. Still 4 Filipinos made the final 8.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Training for what, a future that don't pay shit?
You're not hearing what I'm saying... Only what you want to hear. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay more. I'm saying in order to have a well-rounded plan, you got to beat the drum from both sides. You kind of sound like a liberal... Just throw money at the problem and it'll go away.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't know if that would work in the USA. It does work in Europe where they have academies where the kids play pool every day. Similar to the baseball academies in the Dominican Republic. The place with the biggest concentration of great pool players today is the Philippines because the sport is very popular and they are in constant action. They don't have an academy. They learn by playing pool. The motivation is making money. If you win you get backers and to keep your backers you need to keep winning.

In this country kids have a lot more options and not many want to invest the time to get to a high level.

Lee Vann Corteza won the 9 ball competition at the 2020 DCC and I don't think he showed up for the U S Open. Still 4 Filipinos made the final 8.
Someone on here sent me a private message a while back I told me it is already working here (US). I think it was a school system in either Kentucky or Tennessee. And it seems to be very popular with the students. It gets the students involved that don't have the athletic ability to play football or baseball or basketball. I'll try to find out who it was and told me that.

Last edited:

SlateMan

Registered
You're not hearing what I'm saying... Only what you want to hear. I'm not saying you shouldn't pay more. I'm saying in order to have a well-rounded plan, you got to beat the drum from both sides. You kind of sound like a liberal... Just throw money at the problem and it'll go away.
It will go away. Well, that is, the money will go away! :)

stevelomako

Love you all!
Silver Member
If it wasn't for people like you, who else would I serve crow to on the menu!

Yep, just as I thought. You said you were done with me…but…

I wish your fairy tale would come through but if I put a tooth under my pillow tonight I’d have a better chance of having a quarter in the morning than your fairy tale coming true.

It’s funny reading it all but good luck anyway.

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I'm smarter than that, I'm not throwing money at anything. My intent is to straighten out pool trom the TOP down, then the bottom looking up can pursue their goals. Tiu already have a system in place now, don't you? The US Open 9B event will let my 11 year old grandson play, as long as I paid his $750 entry fee!!! They had 240 players out of 256 full field, think about it, I literally could have entered my grandson to play! So why were those 16 spots unfulfilled??????

Then, out of 240 players, how many actually walked away with some money in their pockets? 9th-16th paid $3250! Think thats money in SVB pocket? Take out the $750+ travel expenses, food, room....he made what, $250? So my point is out of 240 players, only 8 actually left with some money, that makes the US Open 9B event the tournament of losers!!!! THIS has to change!!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
There's only ONE US Open 9B event a year, and its one of the HIGHEST paying events in this sport! Add all the biggest events in POOL tournaments together, and they ALL add up to a joke on the players today, and the future players of tomorrow if something don't change!!!!!

realkingcobra

Silver Member
I already have the President and 2 vice presidents to represent the world Pro/Am pool players association, that's set. No one is going to be playing for ANY advertisers or sponsorship money that ISN'T a member of the Players Association, period. Dues WILL be paid, those that don't want to join, fine with me, but I guarantee they won't be playing! I've had enough of the "entitled" pool players to last me the rest of my life. Players are either going to stand up and be counted, or get out of the way of those that DO care.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here, since you want to use Poker as an example;

Salary Ranges for Professional Poker Players

The salaries of Professional Poker Players in the US range from $19,910 to $187,200 , with a median salary of $44,680 . The middle 50% of Professional Poker Players makes $28,400, with the top 75% making $187,200.

https://www.comparably.com › ...

Professional Poker Player Salary | Comparably
Poker can’t be played without $

pool can be played without $

apples & oranges