US Open hard to watch

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is anyone else finding it hard to watch, no shot clock on the tv table is brutally slow and the purple 5 ball is so distracting.
Everytime I try to watch it gets frustrating,bend down look and stands up 5 or six times or more, walk around the table 3 times on the simplest shots.
Also how can you have a tournament were some players have 1 lose and are eliminated and other 1 lose player is still playing? Why would they want a tournament that could have the whole field have 1 lose but still have a champion? Just when pool seems to be having a resurgence they feel like they have to make changes to me are a negative!
It is difficult. Having players at simple shots forever. I agree the shot clock just makes it better.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is difficult. Having players at simple shots forever. I agree the shot clock just makes it better.

it's that simple. with no shot clock even fast players take more time than necessary because of the occasion. and watching the slow players is interminable. it makes me adverse to them as players, i'm rooting against kaci now.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
I think the final 16 are on the clock.
Could be wrong.
The final 16 is for Mainstream, who pays the rent so tah speak.
Be nice if the announcers, would let the audience/non players know which ball color is which #.
Or maybe show somewhere on the screen that the purple ball is the 5 and the pink is the four to HELP.

Island Drive

Silver Member
Is anyone else finding it hard to watch, no shot clock on the tv table is brutally slow and the purple 5 ball is so distracting.
Everytime I try to watch it gets frustrating,bend down look and stands up 5 or six times or more, walk around the table 3 times on the simplest shots.
Also how can you have a tournament were some players have 1 lose and are eliminated and other 1 lose player is still playing? Why would they want a tournament that could have the whole field have 1 lose but still have a champion? Just when pool seems to be having a resurgence they feel like they have to make changes to me are a negative!
I think it effected Ruiz's play, brutal match to watch, tho NOT Kaci Brutal.
Like the live open final Kaci was in against Shaw.
40 second shot clock, but when you were down on the shot, and the clock ran out, you were still able to stay down and execute.
Kaci actually wore himself out by his play style, got 4 games.
Shaw played the best final, I've ever seen by any player EVER.

One other note, at times the players created extremely Good safeties because of having the extra time.

So what does it cost for DAZIN?

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have stated I prefer the traditional colors. But.... the only ones I here complain are us Americans. I dont here the bitching from Europe, Asia, The Philippines, or anywhere else. So drawing a conclusion, these colors are here to stay... at least in most major events.

And when it comes down to it, it's not that difficult to remember "pink 4 and purple 5". It been repeated here by all the haters countless times, and many times in this thread. It shouldn't be that hard to figure out which ball is next. Get over it.... move on.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
I'll throw my 2 cents in and then wait to be murdered. I can barely stand to watch what the game has become. I can only watch certain players. Cookie cutter robots. Everybody with their stupid pre shot routines, walking totally around the table checking a line on every single shot no matter how simple the shot or position. You know where your rock needs to be.......SHOOT THE D***N BALL! Stroking their cue in the air 50x, step into the shot, all looking like snooker players.
It's f****** brutal. No style, flair, individuality. Used to have Keith smoking and sipping a beer. Now we get sissy tight pants and guys sipping on fruit smoothies wearing shirts that look like a NASCAR hood. Folks really think this is better or great? I'm 50 years old now. For 30 of it I've been hearing about this or that to make pool big time. Not going to happen. It's a niche activity. So be it. I love pool and this crap is painful to watch. Tighter pockets doesn't make things better. Not snooker, not meant to be. The cloth is to fast and the balls to reactive. You can fart and send whitey 3 rails. Used to need a stroke to play. AND THE 5 BALL IS ORANGE!!!
My vote for post of the year ^^^^

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Be nice if the announcers, would let the audience/non players know which ball color is which #.
Or maybe show somewhere on the screen that the purple ball is the 5 and the pink is the four to HELP.
It's at the bottom of the screen.

It's been there on all Matchroom broadcasts for decades

Island Drive

Silver Member
It's at the bottom of the screen.

It's been there on all Matchroom broadcasts for decades
LARGER than the normal colors, could HELP, hard to see.
I do remember them, but it's still difficult to retrain/brain.
Was watching Ruiz run the hill game out, and I thought he got the incorrect position, NOT.
Brain/color/miscue.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don’t want to knock MR as they are doing a lot for pool.

The purple 5 is beyond bad.

The rest I can live with. I’ve sweated a few matches with a couple friends while talking on the phone-was fun.

I’m just glad we are past all the BS and at a live venue and people are there. Let’s not forget what was going on a couple years ago. Let’s be grateful that pool is being played-even if the 5 is the WRONG color. And I’m working on fixing that.

Best
Fatboy 🧡🧡💪
I'm totally with you on the changing of the colors of the four and five ball. One of the stupidest things I've ever seen in this sport. I'd like to ask the people responsible for this idiocy if they would also consider changing the colors of the four and five ball in snooker? Of course not! It is only the American game of 9-Ball that they would do something like this with. All that blather about it being done for television is 100% unadulterated BS! Every time I watch a match and see this I am infuriated that they got away with it. Shame on the companies who are making these balls. Over 100 years of tradition thrown in the trash like yesterday's garbage. And only some vague and blithe remarks to explain it away.

I agree with you that MR is doing a lot to grow the sport, but this glaring error needs to be called out again and again!

Last edited:

billb

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I completely agree regarding the shot clock comment. For what my opinion is worth....Matchroom, please please please put a shot clock. I understand that it is a professional event and so on. That being said, I would think that viewership matters from a standpoint of manifesting growth. Though this isnt the PGA, even the PGA has a time criteria for hitting each shot. The amount of time that drags between shots makes it brutal to watch.

Again, for what my personal thoughts are worth....you are hearing this feedback from fans who are already loyal to this sport. I dont think its possible to grow interest when you are being questioned by those who are already loyal. To grab new viewers seems almost impossible. A very simple change could only help.....in my opinion. :)

I definitely dont have all the answers, but I think not having a shot clock is definitely a small step in the wrong direction from a fan standpoint.

Taxi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right now I'm just wondering how to watch the last two days. The DAZN website gives no indication about any upcoming pool events. Haven't we seen this movie before?

1665753537286.png

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I completely agree regarding the shot clock comment. For what my opinion is worth....Matchroom, please please please put a shot clock. I understand that it is a professional event and so on. That being said, I would think that viewership matters from a standpoint of manifesting growth. Though this isnt the PGA, even the PGA has a time criteria for hitting each shot. The amount of time that drags between shots makes it brutal to watch.

Again, for what my personal thoughts are worth....you are hearing this feedback from fans who are already loyal to this sport. I dont think its possible to grow interest when you are being questioned by those who are already loyal. To grab new viewers seems almost impossible. A very simple change could only help.....in my opinion. :)

I definitely dont have all the answers, but I think not having a shot clock is definitely a small step in the wrong direction from a fan standpoint.

I love pool, but I watch many of matches at 2x speed on YouTube (not live) because they are so slow. Even at 2x speed it can be hard to sit through the delays. Golf tries to solve this problem by switching between holes/players while the golfers futz around.

I've seen this week some fans on youtube have edited the US open matches so they only show the shots with everything else cut out. I've liked those edits. It's similar to what you can see on the NFL network, where you can watch a whole NFL game in 10 minutes.

CaptainBly

Registered

Replying to the part in RED. Matchroom doesn't care what we think. They don't care about the current fans at all. They just assume we will always be there to support them because we love the game. Queen Emily only cares about bringing in new viewers and sponsors. Everything they do is to attract NEW viewers not to please current viewers. Their whole mindset is to create a tv sport. She couldn't care less what the tradition is or what people like Jay who have been influential in the game for a long time think. She knows best.
Now, before Buckshoey comes in and defends his crush. Yes Matchroom is doing great things right now. I think they "might" be the future. They have a chance of succeeding, but if they run off all the hardcore fans, who is going to support them until all the new fans get on board? How long will it take before a match gets millions of views? Can they make it that long without us? I say this a lot but really, Pool is a participation sport, not a spectator sport. Except for the very few diehards like me who follow pro pool like the NFL. I mean ask your league teammates or your next competitor at a tournament who Aloysius yapp is and what country he is from, Most would have no idea.
As for the purple 5, yes I hate it, yes, I hate the way it has been addressed. Right from the start, when these were first announced, they were widely panned and criticized. Emilies response was, suck it up, if you want to play matchroom, this is what we are using. This is the response you give after shiting on 100's of years of tradition? American pool balls have colors, these colors are instantly recognized and are a vital part of pattern recognition. They were not just chosen at random, years of study and research went into choosing the color pattern. Our brains recognize the color pattern before anything else. The fact that they switched a historic color for the 4 ball to another ball is the egregious error here, not that the color changed. Keep the pink 4, make the 5 anything other than another ball's traditional color. Why is that so hard?

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Right now I'm just wondering how to watch the last two days. The DAZN website gives no indication about any upcoming pool events. Haven't we seen this movie before?

View attachment 665963

DAZN doesn't show it on their main page. You have to go to "sports" and then scroll down to pool. I see it now, whether it will be working in 10 mins I don't know.