USA Mosconi Cup Team

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize that my opinion means very little. However, in seeing how this year is shaping up, here is the Mosconi Cup team I would pick:

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Hall
4) Dominguez
5) Deuel

Houstoer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I realize that my opinion means very little. However, in seeing how this year is shaping up, here is the Mosconi Cup team I would pick:

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Hall
4) Dominguez
5) Deuel

seeing what I've seen so far; I agree.. I would love for Shuff to be there but he hasn't produced... These are all solid.

Zphix

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Justin Hall really deserves to be at the MC this time around.

Solid list...though I might substitute a player for a Scorpion ;)

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
I think the litmus test will be the US Open in October... not sure who all will be there but I would hope all of the hopefuls are.... We usually have some dead air during the Open and I am hopeful that we will be able to do some interviews with the possible team members as I know alot of fans only now are getting to know a little bit about our young up and comers........

The Renfro

Outsville.com
Silver Member
Corey just beat Orcollo 6 - 2 in China at world team championships.

Corey's talent has never been the question... It's more about his dedication to pool... I think he skipped a tournament match when he was on the golf course 2 years back or so.... I understand he may have been in line to make more on the golf game than the tournament but it was a pretty big tournament that had people wondering about his dedication....

I will say tho that this year since Mark picked him as a possible he was been hard at it and I am all in favor of him being included..... Maybe he can figure out the break in the MC format and give us a leg up......

pooljunky220

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Jeremy Sossei

If anyone on here doesn't believe that Jeremy Sossei deserves to be on the team, they clearly don't know him or pool for that matter. He has beaten everyone else on the team in tournaments and gambling when it has happened, he places high in almost every event he plays in, and he is a role model to all aspiring players since he is very respectful and doesn't drink or do any drugs. He is the epitome of a professional pool player. Not taking anything away from any of the other guys, but he deserves his chance to prove how he actually plays.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Hall
4) Dominguez
5) Deuel

I'm certainly OK with this team. SVB, of course. Bergman has had a big year in competition and is a crystal clear second choice. After that it's tricky.

Though he's easily overlooked, Sossei's credentials for inclusion are pretty strong: a) 7th in the last US Open 9-ball, b) 2nd at the last Turning Stone event, and c) beat Oscar Dominguez in the 2014 China Open.

Won't be an easy call for Coach Wilson beyond Van Boening and Bergman, whose inclusion should be pretty certain.

I think that as The Renfro points out, their performances in the US Open 9-ball should weigh heavily in the choices for all but Shane and Bergman. Who is playing well in October will likely matter a lot.

However it plays out, I'm sure Coach Wilson will make outstanding choices and will field a team that we can all rally around.

Busboy

Wanna Play Some?
Silver Member

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Hall
4) Dominguez
5) Deuel

I think this would be my pick as well for sure SVB and Bergman but whatever the out come mark is very good at what he does and ill respect who ever he picks I think were gonna do great this year :grin:

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
Last edited:

Doodysquat

Registered
I am fortunate in the fact that I get to talk with Mark a few times every month and he is workjng harder than you can imagine on this year's team selection and their travel/tour plans leading up to the Cup. He desperately wants an East Coast visit for exhibitions, MC style matches with the local horses and general PR work. The money simply is not there. Getting all eight guys together in the same place is expensive. Mark is up late every night planning and no matter the outcome of the event or the players that he picks for the team, pool with be better off at the end of the day. He has told me several times how hard the guys are working on their games. He wishes he could choose them all.

King T

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree..., for the most part

1) SVB
2) Bergman
3) Hall
4) Dominguez
5) Deuel

You have to sit Bergman or Hall for Archer. I don't think Archers play has been that strong on the world scene, but I guess he would still play a little better under the pressure because of his experience.

mark187

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Is Mark Wilson's 8 fixed? Was wondering if a non-squad member hit top form up to and during the US Open there may be a late inclusion. Also, I'd love to see Johnny Archer back on the team, he is a player worth far more than his game alone. I'd also like to see Earl, but that ain't gonna happen

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk

CJRackley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Say what ?!?

Not to take anything away from Bergman's talent, BUT there are no BB's last I looked at the MC. Over half of his earnings this yr thus far come from 1 BB tourney win.

http://www.azbilliards.com/people/4200-justin-bergman/

Whatever the outcome; I will support it....... I would hate to be Mark Wilson having to make the decision

Didn't Bergman win one of the Hardtimes tournaments this year with a pretty strong field? He also just placed 2nd in the Memphis Open which had a ton of top pros.

Steinway Classic next week: Several MC hopefuls there including Bergman and Sossei.

terryhanna

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Didn't Bergman win one of the Hardtimes tournaments this year with a pretty strong field? He also just placed 2nd in the Memphis Open which had a ton of top pros.

Steinway Classic next week: Several MC hopefuls there including Bergman and Sossei.
yes he won the Chuck Markulis Memorial 9 ball on super tuff 9ft with a super tuff field of SVB Rodney Corey Kiamco Oscar Saez Daz Klatt Mika and many other pros

he beat Carlo Biado in the final i dont why azb skipped that on the money list they had the 1 pocket division of that event listed you can add 3k more to his winnings for this year for that win

Last edited:

kollegedave

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm certainly OK with this team. SVB, of course. Bergman has had a big year in competition and is a crystal clear second choice. After that it's tricky.

Though he's easily overlooked, Sossei's credentials for inclusion are pretty strong: a) 7th in the last US Open 9-ball, b) 2nd at the last Turning Stone event, and c) beat Oscar Dominguez in the 2014 China Open.

Won't be an easy call for Coach Wilson beyond Van Boening and Bergman, whose inclusion should be pretty certain.

I think that as The Renfro points out, their performances in the US Open 9-ball should weigh heavily in the choices for all but Shane and Bergman. Who is playing well in October will likely matter a lot.

However it plays out, I'm sure Coach Wilson will make outstanding choices and will field a team that we can all rally around.

As always, outstanding points SJM. Since you are on the East Coast, you are more familiar with the exploits of Mr. Sossei, and since I am from St. Louis, I am a bit partial to Mr. Bergman's inclusion.

Certainly, how they play at the U.S. Open is going to matter. I know that at least Sossei and Bergman will be at the World 14.1 as well; I am sure that positive play there will help, but of course, it is not as directly applicable as the U.S. Open.

Another poster made a comment about Deuel helping the team to figure out the break under the MC format. I would like to think this has already begun, and they haven't waited until now to think of this. :eek: Also, why limit the "figurin" to Corey, they all have world class repeatable strokes and some rational insight?

One poster mentioned that Justin Bergman has finished high in mainly BB events. In response to that I would point out that in his area of the country, most of the events are BB events. He was just was the highest finishing American at the Memphis Open 10 ball (big track event), beating at least one MC hopeful in the tournament, and earlier this year he won a very tough event at Hardtimes where he beat Biado in the finals. Like you SJM, I think his inclusion is next to a lock.

Just some additional thoughts.

kollegedave

Dunnn51

Clear the table!
Silver Member
I am fortunate in the fact that I get to talk with Mark a few times every month and he is workjng harder than you can imagine on this year's team selection and their travel/tour plans leading up to the Cup. He desperately wants an East Coast visit for exhibitions, MC style matches with the local horses and general PR work. The money simply is not there. Getting all eight guys together in the same place is expensive. Mark is up late every night planning and no matter the outcome of the event or the players that he picks for the team, pool with be better off at the end of the day. He has told me several times how hard the guys are working on their games. He wishes he could choose them all.

I would love to see the MC Team up here in the NE ! That would be worth the travel. :)
I know it is expensive to get the team together ;that is essential for cohesion. I also hope that Mark makes it known that those who aren't picked are NOT "out in the cold'" as they would likely be on a very short list for next year. (Some that did not make the MC 8 should know this as well). ;)

" no matter the outcome of the event or the players that he picks for the team, pool with be better off at the end of the day." <--- words well said: It is about what is best for the team.

Williebetmore

Member, .25% Club
Silver Member
Say what ?!?

Not to take anything away from Bergman's talent, BUT there are no BB's last I looked at the MC. Over half of his earnings this yr thus far come from 1 BB tourney win.

http://www.azbilliards.com/people/4200-justin-bergman/

Whatever the outcome; I will support it....... I would hate to be Mark Wilson having to make the decision

Hmmm...JB won at Hard Times on the big table with victories over elite players (including Appleton and Biado). Just finished second in Memphis, but beat Archer. Big table is Justin ' s home.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk