Value of JossWest with Sideways JW (68 -72)

TWOFORPOOL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a four point with ebony points & butt with 3 veneers. Forearm is standard maple (?) with a 3/8 10 pin. Ivory joint and ferrules. Dashed ring work on Joint and the 2 shafts only. Shafts are around 12.4. Condition is very good. There are no inlays at all in this cue.

Last edited:

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
12.4mm shafts are not shafts. They are joint cap blanks.

Since BS is not in the cue business any replacement shaft will be non-original.

IMHO you are getting a butt with no shafts. 800-1000

JV

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
12.4mm shafts are not shafts. They are joint cap blanks.

Since BS is not in the cue business any replacement shaft will be non-original.

IMHO you are getting a butt with no shafts. 800-1000

JV

Please explain. I've never heard this before. I have several Stroud cues, some with shafts that have been worn down with age. They are still the original shafts as far as I'm concerned.

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
$1200?

Worthless guess without pics

You read my mind. Was going to say 1000 to 1200. There is a rule with Joss or Josswest from that era. Assuming good condition, you multiply by ten for a today price. In those days that sold new for 100 to 140, depending on year. Though agree, pics would help.

Shafts are somewhat useful, but don't matter that much these days. Others can be made, and many players replace with LD shafts anyhow.

All the best,
WW

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You read my mind. Was going to say 1000 to 1200. There is a rule with Joss or Josswest from that era. Assuming good condition, you multiply by ten for a today price. In those days that sold new for 100 to 140, depending on year. Though agree, pics would help.

Shafts are somewhat useful, but don't matter that much these days. Others can be made, and many players replace with LD shafts anyhow.

All the best,
WW
I've seen dealer(and ex great player) Joe Salazar get $1500 for a plain birdseye JW. A cue like this from him would get 1,700-2g's. JW prices have gone up and stayed up.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
Jay,
13mm - 12.7mm are considered playable shafts. If you find someone with tiny fingers, or someone that prefers thin shafts, consider them OK. As a dealer I can tell you that 95% of buyers would most likely pass on a cue with shafts this thin.

JV

Please explain. I've never heard this before. I have several Stroud cues, some with shafts that have been worn down with age. They are still the original shafts as far as I'm concerned.

Chopdoc

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the buyer as far as shaft diameter is concerned.

Is anybody "authorized" to reproduce the JW logo or parts?

Just a tbought.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Depends on the buyer as far as shaft diameter is concerned.

Is anybody "authorized" to reproduce the JW logo or parts?

Just a tbought.
Why would the logo need to be re-produced? I don't think op said butt-cap was broken.

PRED

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This "authorized" maker is a scam. Either you get shafts made by the maker or you are buying replacement shafts, not NOS.

Buster8001

Did you say shrubberies?
Silver Member
This "authorized" maker is a scam. Either you get shafts made by the maker or you are buying replacement shafts, not NOS.

Agreed. Even if the original builder makes new shafts, they're not original to the cue.

I'm good friends with Cory Barnhart; and he's an "authorized" person to work on Scruggs cues. If I have him build me another shaft for my Scruggs SP, even though it may have Timmy's taper, it's still a Barnhart shaft.

It's about being honest. So many have problems with that, nowadays.

Josh

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JV is absolutely correct about the shaft sizes and ultimate cue value.

There are going to be players that like thin shafts. That’s okay I suppose.

Then there’s the remainder of the cue buying world and it’s just not so.

12.5 is pushing it with maple shafts because of the taper’s flexibility.

Revo is offering it and other CF manufacturers too but it is not wood.

The market responds to 12.75 to 13mm shafts so much better than smaller.

Shafts from a 3rd party render the cue more playable but add nothing to its value.

So pay close attention to experts like JV or else accept the monetary risks you’d incur.

Matt B.