Variations of 8ball let’s hear them all

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sinuca is obviously a phonetic / linguistic form of the word “snooker.” They play it on a snooker table. It’s not an 8-ball game.

yes, that's the etymology. no the tables are smaller in sinuca, but the pockets are some of the tightest in the world:

there's money matches streamed every day. i have seen 8-ball but it's most often another variety that's played

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
yes, that's the etymology. no the tables are smaller in sinuca, but the pockets are some of the tightest in the world:

there's money matches streamed every day. i have seen 8-ball but it's most often another variety that's played
The only Sinuca I’ve ever heard of is Brazilian Sinuca, which is on a snooker table.

geoff_182

One version that I made up, you have to call your shots 2 (or 3 or more) shots ahead. For the sake of this explanation lets say we are just playing 2 shots ahead. Your first shot of an inning at the table, you have to call your current shot, and your next shot (ball and pocket). So then on your next shot, since you have already called this shot, you will just call the next shot ahead. You can play safe or pocket a different ball (and lose your inning) if you get to a point where you don't like the shot anymore or you hook yourself, but it still counts as you calling that ball and pocket you already called. If you at any point forget to call the next ball, it would be considered like calling a safety for that shot. (Though I suppose you could allow it if it is painfully obvious, like having a stop shot to leave for a straight in 8-ball)

I think this is a great game for training because it forces you to plan ahead. For beginners, or anyone 500-ish fargo and below, playing this version will make you a better player.

ShortBusRuss

Short Bus Russ - C Player
Silver Member
Craziest 8 ball variation I ever played was when I took my future wife to my home hall in Tacoma, Washington. I absolutely refused at that point in my life to ever slack off so I played her as hard as I possibly could. Handicaps were made, and adjusted, until she had a reasonable chance of winning. The game we landed In was she played normal 8 ball, I played one handed, and had to bank the 8 ball into the last pocket my stripe/solid went in to. Keep in mind... She can run 3-4 balls.

That session, and the level of play I exhibited as the handicaps escalated, is probably a large reason Juanita ended up marrying me. The ladies like excellence, no matter what field of pursuit it may be in.

RakRunr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's probably not an original idea, but I came up with a game years ago I really enjoy called "Showboat". Most rules are regular 8-ball: open after the break, call pocket, BIH on fouls, etc. The differences are: all balls made on the break spot including the 8; no safeties allowed; and you cannot shoot a ball straight into a pocket - all shots must be banks, kicks, combos, caroms, billiards, jump shots, etc. When I play against my wife, I play Showboat rules and she plays normal rules, so it is also a great handicap when players are widely outmatched. It's also very educational as it forces you to experiment and be creative.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
It's probably not an original idea, but I came up with a game years ago I really enjoy called "Showboat". Most rules are regular 8-ball: open after the break, call pocket, BIH on fouls, etc. The differences are: all balls made on the break spot including the 8; no safeties allowed; and you cannot shoot a ball straight into a pocket - all shots must be banks, kicks, combos, caroms, billiards, jump shots, etc. When I play against my wife, I play Showboat rules and she plays normal rules, so it is also a great handicap when players are widely outmatched. It's also very educational as it forces you to experiment and be creative.
The "you cannot shoot a ball straight into a pocket" is the core of the game Honolulu. But, making it part of 8-ball is a nice stipulation, which people do with their wives and such as a handicap.

Flakeandrun

One of my biggest pet peeves is playing 8-ball in China on an American table, but everyone plays Chinese 8-ball rules... drives me a little mad...

Justaneng

Registered
One of my biggest pet peeves is playing 8-ball in China on an American table, but everyone plays Chinese 8-ball rules... drives me a little mad...

I actually liked that at least the rules were known, so it was a bit better than randomly playing US bar rules. I can’t imagine arguing about rules using WeChat translate….

I did get bit by the “female has a 1 ball handicap” rule at a tournament in Shanghai though.

Flakeandrun

I actually liked that at least the rules were known, so it was a bit better than randomly playing US bar rules. I can’t imagine arguing about rules using WeChat translate….

I did get bit by the “female has a 1 ball handicap” rule at a tournament in Shanghai though.
Oh yeah, don't get me started on the sexism, or making girls feel inadequate... because half of those girls would destroy these guys, and the men simply don't have the balls to try harder... Seen it quite often. I also know a guy who likes to brag he coaches some of the top females in the country, but can't beat me? so... A lot of it is ego driven nonsense. If I was a competent female player, I'd just accept the stupidity and clean the floor with them (know that it doesn't quite work like that in the wonderful game of pool, 99% of it is in the mind, and this is pure headfuckery in my opinion)

I mean, I absolutely have to agree with you on the knowing the rules part... because in the US, arguing in a bar, you realise quickly that the bouncers ain't like they are in the UK, they're not there to stop fights, just to make you go outside... Had a holster flashed at me in Montana once after calling someone out... on my last week of a 6 month trip in the US... made me a little scared/worried to go outside for the rest of my trip... (If we are playing for money, keep your damn shirt from touching the balls... that shit is never ok... wasn't even a serious player at this point)

Last edited:

Justaneng

Registered
Oh yeah, don't get me started on the sexism, or making girls feel inadequate... because half of those girls would destroy these guys, and the men simply don't have the balls to try harder... Seen it quite often. I also know a guy who likes to brag he coaches some of the top females in the country, but can't beat me? so... A lot of it is ego driven nonsense. If I was a competent female player, I'd just accept the stupidity and clean the floor with them (know that it doesn't quite work like that in the wonderful game of pool, 99% of it is in the mind, and this is pure headfuckery in my opinion.

I spent most of my time this go round in Zhangpu so our small work team would be the only Laowai around. Most of the time I would go shoot around for a while on my day off, and the one old guy in the corner would just stare at me, and the other people would sneak pictures of me and giggle. I’m not sure exactly how many WeChat moments I’m in.

But the pool halls there would hire young girls to do the racking, and the local guys would mostly treat them like slaves (classism if huge in China). Keep in mind the girls work in a pool hall that’s open 24/7 in rural China, and every once in a while the local guys would try to flirt and ask a girl to play…without a doubt the girl would destroy the guy.

Flakeandrun

I spent most of my time this go round in Zhangpu so our small work team would be the only Laowai around. Most of the time I would go shoot around for a while on my day off, and the one old guy in the corner would just stare at me, and the other people would sneak pictures of me and giggle. I’m not sure exactly how many WeChat moments I’m in.

But the pool halls there would hire young girls to do the racking, and the local guys would mostly treat them like slaves (classism if huge in China). Keep in mind the girls work in a pool hall that’s open 24/7 in rural China, and every once in a while the local guys would try to flirt and ask a girl to play…without a doubt the girl would destroy the guy.

Even where I am living, when I first started playing at my local, I got a lot of attention (then I do have a load of goofy tattoos, a beard and terrible dress sense). It's generally curiosity, and staring isn't perceived to be a negative as it is in western culture. It's also quite funny when the odd person asks for a photo, or adds you on WeChat, then you see the message they write that corresponds... They've made a whole imaginary persona for how they know you etc etc :ROFLMAO: After a few months of being a regular, you do meet some genuinely lovely people, have regular friends to play some small money games etc
Yeah, you're right about some of the more obscure pool halls, and actually, some of those places, the girls are 'working' and making their ends meet too. They're hustling in the saddest ways possible. Classism is huge worldwide... most despicable narratives pushed on this planet; racism, homophobia, sexism are all arguably born from pre-existing social class-based hierarchies. A result of sad, fragile egos trying to maintain their grip on whatever privilege the old world allowed.

Last edited:

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
One version that I made up, you have to call your shots 2 (or 3 or more) shots ahead. For the sake of this explanation lets say we are just playing 2 shots ahead. Your first shot of an inning at the table, you have to call your current shot, and your next shot (ball and pocket). So then on your next shot, since you have already called this shot, you will just call the next shot ahead. You can play safe or pocket a different ball (and lose your inning) if you get to a point where you don't like the shot anymore or you hook yourself, but it still counts as you calling that ball and pocket you already called. If you at any point forget to call the next ball, it would be considered like calling a safety for that shot. (Though I suppose you could allow it if it is painfully obvious, like having a stop shot to leave for a straight in 8-ball)

I think this is a great game for training because it forces you to plan ahead. For beginners, or anyone 500-ish fargo and below, playing this version will make you a better player.
We used to do this, we just called it Call Ahead. Sometimes it was played to provide a handicap for a much better player than a beginner, the better player having to call ahead while the beginner just played the table. I was the beginner for a while, but I liked the game so much that I started playing the call ahead too. They still beat me, but it was a fun way to play the game and learn.

Island Drive

Otto/Dads College Roommate/Cleveland Browns
Silver Member
Here's what I was taught/Chicago/WI area as 8 ball.

Shoot the ball group you make on the break, unless you make one of each.

Any Scratch-Must shoot from kitchen.

3 Foul Rule.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
The most important variation has not been mentioned yet. Do you play "Open Table" after making a ball on the break or do you "Play What You Make?" This one variation makes the game of Eight ball dramatically harder to run out.

ceebee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How many ways can 8ball be played . Let’s hear the different ways the game can be played as it gets boring after a while. A couple I know of 1 15 in the sides last pocket 8 and bank the 8 . I know there’s more styles out there especially in different countries.
I like to play Short Rack 8 Ball... 4 Stripes , 4 solids & the 8 Ball (racked like 9 Ball). You can run a lot of racks... with a Great Break Shot

middleofnowhere

Registered
In the south a lot of the black pool rooms they played a game called eight ball in Georgia. I'll be honest, it'd be difficult to tell you the rules because it seemed like they used to make them up as they went along.

A lot of times we'd be out in one of these black pool rooms and Diliberto and I would be the only white guys in the place.