Vegas question

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Our league team won a free trip to Vegas for the ACS (edit) tourney in May at the Trop.

Problem is, no rooms at the Trop for the weekend so we have to get another hotel in the middle of the tourney. One of our guys found a downtown room for Sat, but geez. Another is going to the airport Sat night and sleeping there....yuk.

Wth? They have what, 4000 rooms? They "host" a tourney but leave out the room part of it? I'd gamble and eat there and spend there, but they don't want my money.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

EDIT: Trip is over...post news starts at post #80.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Our league team won a free trip to Vegas for the ACA tourney in May at the Trop.

Problem is, no rooms at the Trop for the weekend so we have to get another hotel in the middle of the tourney. One of our guys found a downtown room for Sat, but geez. Another is going to the airport Sat night and sleeping there....yuk.

Wth? They have what, 4000 rooms? They "host" a tourney but leave out the room part of it? I'd gamble and eat there and spend there, but they don't want my money.

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston
You mean the 'ACS' event? Says they have a $85/day rate. Maybe they're just full. Happens. https://americancuesports.org/2022-acs-nationals#a4e458fa-51c4-4436-a24a-fc389ff89949 Either another place or stay home.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
You mean the 'ACS' event? Says they have a $85/day rate. Maybe they're just full. Happens. https://americancuesports.org/2022-acs-nationals#a4e458fa-51c4-4436-a24a-fc389ff89949 Either another place or stay home.

Could be the ACS...thanks for the fix there. Our local league is IPPL so I don't know about the national one.

I got a plane ticket but it cost $940 with one stop!

We each won $1200 for expenses but that won't cover it now. I'd stay home if it was just me, but there are 5 other guys involved here.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Have you considers staying in Henderson, or Old Town north of strip? or south of Las Vegas in Jean, NV?

Sort of surprised you can not find room, Cousin lives in Sun City.

He say Vegas is hurting for tourists, people are not coming because it has become so expensive to get room, food, park, etc.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Have you considers staying in Henderson, or Old Town north of strip? or south of Las Vegas in Jean, NV?

He say Vegas is hurting for tourists, people are not coming because it has become so expensive to get room, food, park, etc.

Hell, I might as well stay home and try to make the table time from there.

Is this the new normal out there? I quit going about 20 years ago due to the crap BJ rules that have taken over the place and the kids running around like it's a day care.

Thanks.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you're playing a league deal you want to stay at the host joint or as close as possible. Driving to/fro and parking is a nightmare. There's quite a few places close to the Trop that are walking/Uber close.

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be the ACS...thanks for the fix there. Our local league is IPPL so I don't know about the national one.

We each won $1200 for expenses but that won't cover it now. I'd stay home if it was just me, but there are 5 other guys involved here.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston
Welcome to the reality of the "Free league tournament in Vegas"!.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Jean is history, just a prison there now.

Lots of joints on the Strip have rooms

Downtown sucks, I own apartments there-I wouldn’t stay in my own buildings

Enjoy your trip,

North town sucks too

See what South Point has or any newer off strip property has

Best
Fatboy

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston
$940to Vegas?? You coming in from Europe??

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
$940to Vegas?? You coming in from Europe??

It jumped a bunch!

I gotta go through Denver, too.

Des Moines. Last time I used United it took me 32 hours to get home from Vegas with no bad weather. I didn't even get a free lunch. I swore I'd never fly them again but what choice is there?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Welcome to the reality of the "Free league tournament in Vegas"!.

lol

We won the trip a few weeks ago and the hotel was already full.

I might suggest to our league ops that they buy 3 or 4 rooms before our season playoff so whoever wins has some rooms for sure where the venue is. They give us the money as we book rooms and plane flights, as using the prize money for Vegas is required. We can't just take the money and run.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

Last edited:

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Jean is history, just a prison there now.

Lots of joints on the Strip have rooms

Downtown sucks, I own apartments there-I wouldn’t stay in my own buildings

Enjoy your trip,

North town sucks too

See what South Point has or any newer off strip property has

Best
Fatboy

Thanks for the info. I used to love downtown. My sister and I'd take the bus down there at 5am to play blackjack when the Shoe was the nuts. I was playing there the day they went to double deck. 2001 maybe?

Good news....my wife just got a room booked for Fri and Sat night at the Trop. No one else on my team was able to do that. What a woman!

I'm wondering. We've got great credit scores and maybe that has something to do with it? I hope not.

Jeff Livingston

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It jumped a bunch!

Des Moines. Last time I used United it took me 32 hours to get home from Vegas with no bad weather. I didn't even get a free lunch. I swore I'd never fly them again but what choice is there?

Jeff Livingston
Denver isn’t a bad stop, I fly through there often. Non-stop is always better but if you can’t get that Denver isn’t the end of the world.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
My wife did it somehow. No one else could for some reason.

Thanks, everyone for your help. I appreciate it very much.

Jeff Livingston

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It jumped a bunch!

Jeff Livingston
I heard tix jumped.

They mite drop too.

I’d watch it. Sometimes the change fee is less than the price drop. You mite get lucky and find a better deal, we travel a lot and prices jump around a lot, or look a day early sometimes a day or 2 can effect the price by 50% or more.

Best
Fatboy

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
940 seems high, I’d shop around

We shopped and shopped. I'd pay extra for a direct flight, but damn, this is ridiculous. Maybe it's the dollar? I about crapped when my wife told me the price.

I might hire a guy to drive me instead if we can cancel the ticket. It says 24 hours cancellation and my wife thought that was before the event but the paper says it is 24 hours to cancel after making the reservation.

It seems we're slowly but surely getting pinched hard.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I heard tix jumped.

They mite drop too.

I’d watch it. Sometimes the change fee is less than the price drop. You mite get lucky and find a better deal, we travel a lot and prices jump around a lot, or look a day early sometimes a day or 2 can effect the price by 50% or more.

Best
Fatboy

Thank you for the suggestion. Will do.

Jeff Livingston