Vegas question

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Another trick with finding fares and car rentals, clear all your cookies and saved files from the web browser, or use another computer when doing multiple searches, especially from the same company. Say if you look up a trip from NY to Vega on Expedia, then a few hours go back, chances are the rates are higher. If you look up the same thing on a fresh computer, the rates are lower. I've tested this several times and was able to save like 15% on the trip costs not booking without searching again using another system.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Southwest seems to be about $500 but some flights in May are already sold out for the cheap seats. Sometimes it's cheaper to fly a day later or earlier and you save enough to make up for the extra room night.

I'd say that's correct...

I just got a text from my roomie and he just booked a $392 flight arriving one day earlier.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
I'd drive up to Minneapolis and fly out from there. Can get non-stop flights to Vegas through Delta for half that price

KC is closer. I'll check both. We've done it before and the drive home sucks.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Does your league operator give you a 1099 if he cuts you a check for $1,200? My team will be out there next week for the USAPL tournament and our league operator books our rooms for us since he said he has to give us a 1099 for any amount over $600.

We get a check for $300 towards our flight but the room is the biggest hassle since I end up staying longer for the period he pays the room for. Trying to talk to someone over the phone to join multiple reservations into one is a nightmare.

That's just what we've got set up today is multiple reservations. uh oh

I don't know about the taxes.

Jeff Livingston

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It jumped a bunch!

I gotta go through Denver, too.

Des Moines. Last time I used United it took me 32 hours to get home from Vegas with no bad weather. I didn't even get a free lunch. I swore I'd never fly them again but what choice is there?

Jeff Livingston
Just had to book some flights for work, and damn they jumped up. Heading to Austin later this week is costing me an arm and a leg. Booked a trip to Madrid a couple three weeks ago for a trip in august and i paid about the same as you to fly to Vegas.

Let’s go Brandon!

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I just checked with Southwest and they offer round trip flights from DSM to LAS in that time period from $204 to $666 depending on how and exactly when you want to fly.
Very dynamic.

I usually pick times that are the least expensive and add in the extra hotel $.

I’m pretty lucky my schedule is flexible. But when it’s not-oh boy I have payed big $ to travel.

When covid hit and trump said EU quarantine was going to happen, I was at the airport in Munich 5 hours later with a full fare 1st class one way ticket to LAX. I couldn’t get a guaranteed seat otherwise. So I bought the most expensive possible seat to gtfo of Europe asap. $8000 one way. Ouch! But that was a emergency.

What sucks is 3 days later I had a free ticket from London to LAX on points. But I didn’t want to wait. And glad I didn’t as it was a mess by then.

Point is ya never know. Always have a plan and a back door just in case

Best
Fatboy<——-still home bored to death. Needs a trip bad

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
The Trop told my teammates who tried that the block is long gone and they're not booking rooms for the weekend for the pool players. Maybe they don't like pool players.

They told my roomie a week ago, who got Tues Wed and Th booked, that they were trying to get a room "next door" for us for the weekend. There is really no "next door" at that intersection. I've stayed at the New York right outside the roller coaster scream zone. Not good. When the original MGM burnt down we kind of avoided the new one after that.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston
Plenty of times I have received a room just from being a member of the property honors or rewards program.
Might try that.

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Could be the ACS...thanks for the fix there. Our local league is IPPL so I don't know about the national one.

I got a plane ticket but it cost $940 with one stop!

We each won $1200 for expenses but that won't cover it now. I'd stay home if it was just me, but there are 5 other guys involved here.

Thanks,

Jeff Livingston
Thats always how it works out .

book collector

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Are you in Europe? J/K

That seems expensive
Yeah, seems like crazy money,
They asked me if I wanted the new "special" drivers license at the BMV, that will be mandatory in 2023, or no flying ,
I said the only time I will ever fly again, I will be in a body bag, and if I gotta have the okey dokey on my license, just leave my ass propped up against a wall somewhere, I don't give a crap. {They never even cracked a smile} most of them are robots imo. They are filling all the government slots with AI's first ,so we don't notice, when they act goofy.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah, seems like crazy money,
They asked me if I wanted the new "special" drivers license at the BMV, that will be mandatory in 2023, or no flying ,
I said the only time I will ever fly again, I will be in a body bag, and if I gotta have the okey dokey on my license, just leave my ass propped up against a wall somewhere, I don't give a crap. {They never even cracked a smile} most of them are robots imo. They are filling all the government slots with AI's first ,so we don't notice, when they act goofy.
I don’t like the way thing are headed

Too many cameras

Too much information

The list goes on

I’m going to figure out a place to live and make that work. Call it a day in biz, just not interested anymore.

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member

Too many cameras

Too much information

The list goes on

I’m going to figure out a place to live and make that work. Call it a day in biz, just not interested anymore.
Think about this.
Phones are mostly doing away with Micro SD cards and opting to have you use their cloud storage.
Now if I have data I want I can't just pop in a new card, I need to upload and pay a fee.

This presents its own set of challenges for me as an investigator when the defense unlike the police are not afforded the same kindnesses.

So yes, my phone is 3 models behind the current one, but I'll keep it and my 1TB of storage which no one but I can use.

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
Another trick with finding fares and car rentals, clear all your cookies and saved files from the web browser, or use another computer when doing multiple searches, especially from the same company. Say if you look up a trip from NY to Vega on Expedia, then a few hours go back, chances are the rates are higher. If you look up the same thing on a fresh computer, the rates are lower. I've tested this several times and was able to save like 15% on the trip costs not booking without searching again using another system.

Interesting.

Thanks.

I found a direct flight for $390.

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member

Too many cameras

Too much information

The list goes on

Unintended consequences of govt's crimes. Gee, where did all the food go, guys?

Jeff Livingston

chefjeff

If not now...
Silver Member
If I was Jeff I'd stay home.

lol....I was just aying that to my wife, "I almost wish we hadn't won."

But it's a 6 man team and I'm a team player.

I did Vegas many times in the 70's and 80's when the mob ran the place like it should be run. It was fun then and easy and cheap and beautiful in its own way.

It's been 20 years or so since I was there and I hated it.

Jeff Livingston

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
lol....I was just aying that to my wife, "I almost wish we hadn't won."

But it's a 6 man team and I'm a team player.

I did Vegas many times in the 70's and 80's when the mob ran the place like it should be run. It was fun then and easy and cheap and beautiful in its own way.

It's been 20 years or so since I was there and I hated it.

Jeff Livingston
The weather is still good, golf is great, food is still good but not as cheap, good pool scene with multiple rooms and no Tony Spilotro to put you in a hole if you f^&k up. ;)