Very tight fitting joint protector help

KCJeffff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello I have a very tight fitting butt end only 3/8 x 10 joint protector I have had for awhile the shaft protector is fine but the other protector is so tight I have not used it. Is there anything that will loosen it up ? I tried using WD 40 with no help, I'm sure there is a product that will help, any ideas?

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member
Take your JP and put it in a vise with rubber on each side.

Get a drill and a 5/16" drill bit and work the hole very slowly opening the dia. a little.

That may help you.

Last edited:

MVPCues

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a good chance Rick's suggestion will work. If that doesn't resolve it, the threads were not cut deep enough. If you take it to a local cuesmith he should be able to run a tap in it.

If there isn't someone local, put it in a padded envelope and mail it to me and I will do it and mail it back, no charge. My address is on my web page.

pooln8r

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There is a good chance Rick's suggestion will work. If that doesn't resolve it, the threads were not cut deep enough. If you take it to a local cuesmith he should be able to run a tap in it.

If there isn't someone local, put it in a padded envelope and mail it to me and I will do it and mail it back, no charge. My address is on my web page.

Nice offer MVP Cues! That's why I love AZB! I had a few sets made for me and one plastic set that were way too tight. I got a great offer like this from a cue maker I was working with who told me to send them to him. He ran a tap through them and then slightly bored them out. Turns out the 3/8-10 JP's I had were tapped for the standard pin not the one that locates on the minor diameter of the thread. It was a quick fix and now they protect well and spin on with almost no effort. Good luck!

If you're reading this Mr. Leon Sly!, thanks again for a great cue and your help on those JP's!

Good shooting to you!

Kevin

KCJeffff

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hello, thank you all for the tips and the offer! The drill bit tip worked great.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
Why do people make joint protectors that are too tight ?
You don't even need full threads .
Allow for wood expansion.
Joint protectors aren't meant to be played with like shafts. :rolleyes:

rhncue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've thought the same thing for years!

Dick

scdiveteam

Rick Geschrey
Silver Member

I use a 317.5 chucking reamer on my female JPs and it works very smooth on and off!

galipeau

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would never use WD-40 on wood. Only bad things will happen...

That stuff is so full of chemicals, it might ruin the wood. Stick with a light wood oil.