Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots - GET IT

Patrick Johnson

Fargo 1000 on VP4
Silver Member
The biggest compliment I can pay to any instructional aid for pool is this: The day after watching Disc I of the Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (Basic Shot Making and Position Play) I found myself using things I learned from it in every game of pool I played, and I played better and won more because of it.

That brings me to my only serious complaint about VEPS: it’s misnamed. This is no mere collection of pool shots; it’s a comprehensive instructional course on how to shoot. Each “shot” is actually a helpful shooting technique that can be applied to many shots and many situations that come up in real play.

The techniques range from very basic (stop shots, straight draw shots, etc.) to intermediate and advanced (“hook” follow, complex combo/caroms, etc.), each demonstrated, described and illustrated in such clear and accurate ways that anybody can understand them and, most importantly, learn how to execute them and when. Dr. Dave is probably the most knowledgeable technical expert on pool today and this series delivers his knowledge in practical, useful form to players of all experience and skill levels. If you thought that the “science” of pool was only for geeks, VEPS will change your mind in a hurry.

At $30 per disc, VEPS is a huge bargain. You get not only lots of useful techniques (160 crammed into 87 minutes on Disc I alone), but also related references to Dr. Dave’s extensive library of literally hundreds of free on-line videos, articles, illustrations and graphics at his now-famous Colorado State University website (http://billiards.colostate.edu/). Whenever a technique on VEPS can be illustrated or expanded on by one of Dr. Dave’s online resources (this is true of many of them), a helpful reference is given so that you can look it up.

The techniques on Disc I are often (though not always) things that students of the game have heard of and even used to some degree, but presented in such a clear and helpful way that it’s often as if they’re brand new. I knew about most of the techniques on VEPS before, but I didn’t know many of them or realize how really useful and powerful they are until VEPS opened my eyes.

The techniques on Disc I are organized by type (cut shots, stun shots, follow shots, draw shots, CB direction control, CB speed control, avoiding a scratch, combination shots, carom shots and billiard shots) and numbered for easy reference. Many of them are “GEMS” – techniques that are so useful that they deserve special attention. I agree that the techniques chosen for this distinction deserve it, and think it’s a testament to the value of VEPS that more than 1/3 of the 160 techniques presented on Disc I earn it.

I disagree with those who have complained that Dr. Dave’s delivery is monotonous – I think that no-frills, no-nonsense approach is appropriate and even necessary in order to present the huge amount of densely packed information in this serious reference work. I’ll be returning to review many of these techniques over and over, and I’d rather not have to hear too much “personality” each time.

I have only one suggestion for improving VEPS, and that’s the same one that others have mentioned. For a reference work so full of information that users will want to return to repeatedly, it’s essential to have a quick and easy way to get to the individual techniques. I suggest that timestamps for each numbered shot be added to the printed index to make it easier to find them on the video.

Here’s the second highest compliment I can pay to VEPS: I wish I'd produced it. Judging by Disc I it will be the most comprehensive, authoritative, accessible and generally useful instructional publication for pool to date (and probably for a long time to come), and the standard against which every other such publication will be measured.

If Discs II through V are anything like this first one, then I can’t wait to shell out my 150 hard-earned bucks for the series, and I highly recommend that anybody interested in making the most of their game or in giving the pool players in their lives a gift they’ll appreciate for years to come, do the same.

pj
chgo

GET IT here: http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/
 
Last edited:
I have viewed the VEPS disc I also.
Dr Dave and Tom Ross have done an excellent job.
There are many good instructional DVD's out there.
This one is top notch.
On a scale of 1 - 10, this disc should be given a 10.
 
Pj, at times, may be

sandpaper.jpg


but I think most that get by that will read his informational posts with more than just a passing glance. It's apparent he's a fairly smart chap with a passion for the game. Thanks for the insight.

I watched the demo clips Dr Dave provided, and thought they were excellent (I even liked the cheezy diamonds with the "TA DA!" audio that somehow aids locking in/categorizing the volumes of info).

It's on my Christmas list. :)
 
Reading PJ's review was like reading the reviews of the 3-Wolf-Moon T-shirt:

http://www.amazon.com/Mountain-Mens-Three-Short-Sleeve/dp/B002HJ377A

I could almost hear this chick in the background:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPB45AUmchM

I'll chime in and add to PJ's review and say that now that I saw VEPS Vol.1, I think it has a life, a spirit and a name. Supermodels clamor at your doorstep. Do you think you can checkout before they sell out? With this DVD, you know your life is pretty sweet. It's magic can heal wounds and raise the dead. It's benefits are not exaggerated. All girls will wish you were the one they dated. You can harness its powers for $30.

In all seriousness..... a normal review:

Dr. Dave sent me the DVD and I watched the whole thing. It was well done and had good information. It's very complete with a wide assortment of shots (hence the title). The production quality is great (I hate the Ta-Da chime, but that's minor).

I think someone who is a novice to intermediate player can gain a lot from this video. I doubt more advanced players will have as many epiphanies as PJ as no one holds peace signs to figure the path of the CB at any real level, but his info is very good nonetheless. I learned a few things from the video and I think it's worth the investment. Am I pitching a tent outside of Walmart on Black Friday like PJ in a hurried attempt to be 100% sure to buy the remainder of the set - prob not - but that's only because I have a style of play that's different from a lot of others. This DVD is a really good reference.

Dave still needs to work on being monotone :)
 
Last edited:
Spidey:
Reading PJ's review was like...

Reviewing Spidey's review of my review is like a post about a post about a post... whoa, dude, I'm getting dizzy!

LOL. Totally awesome...

I doubt more advanced players will have as many epiphanies as PJ as no one holds peace signs to figure the path of the CB at any real level

I think that any player who approaches this video series with a constructive attitude will find lots to learn and improve about things he thinks he already knows. Of course, that doesn't describe everybody, but that will be their loss.

pj
chgo
 
Last edited:
I think someone who is a novice to intermediate player can gain a lot from this video. I doubt more advanced players will have as many epiphanies

This is my concern... <above>.

I already have a bunch of video's on the basics and a pretty strong understanding of what's happening and why.

Think Im gonna roll with it and give this DVD a chance. Really just debating on waiting for the higher volume vid's hopefully to find more things that would be relavant to my skill level and interest.
 
Wow PJ! You just made my day (and my week, and my month)! I'm aware of your legendary ability to post "brutally honest" reviews, so this means a lot to me. Thank you!!!

FYI, I have some other comments below.

Regards,
Dave

The biggest compliment I can pay to any instructional aid for pool is this: The day after watching Disc I of the Video Encyclopedia of Pool Shots (Basic Shot Making and Position Play) I found myself using things I learned from it in every game of pool I played, and I played better and won more because of it.

That brings me to my only serious complaint about VEPS: it’s misnamed. This is no mere collection of pool shots; it’s a comprehensive instructional course on how to shoot. Each “shot” is actually a helpful shooting technique that can be applied to many shots and many situations that come up in real play.

The techniques range from very basic (stop shots, straight draw shots, etc.) to intermediate and advanced (“hook” follow, complex combo/caroms, etc.), each demonstrated, described and illustrated in such clear and accurate ways that anybody can understand them and, most importantly, learn how to execute them and when. Dr. Dave is probably the most knowledgeable technical expert on pool today and this series delivers his knowledge in practical, useful form to players of all experience and skill levels. If you thought that the “science” of pool was only for geeks, VEPS will change your mind in a hurry.

At $30 per disc, VEPS is a huge bargain. You get not only lots of useful techniques (160 crammed into 87 minutes on Disc I alone), but also related references to Dr. Dave’s extensive library of literally hundreds of free on-line videos, articles, illustrations and graphics at his now-famous Colorado State University website (http://billiards.colostate.edu/). Whenever a technique on VEPS can be illustrated or expanded on by one of Dr. Dave’s online resources (this is true of many of them), a helpful reference is given so that you can look it up.

The techniques on Disc I are often (though not always) things that students of the game have heard of and even used to some degree, but presented in such a clear and helpful way that it’s often as if they’re brand new. I knew about most of the techniques on VEPS before, but I didn’t know many of them or realize how really useful and powerful they are until VEPS opened my eyes.

The techniques on Disc I are organized by type (cut shots, stun shots, follow shots, draw shots, CB direction control, CB speed control, avoiding a scratch, combination shots, carom shots and billiard shots) and numbered for easy reference. Many of them are “GEMS” – techniques that are so useful that they deserve special attention. I agree that the techniques chosen for this distinction deserve it, and think it’s a testament to the value of VEPS that more than 1/3 of the 160 techniques presented on Disc I earn it.

I disagree with those who have complained that Dr. Dave’s delivery is monotonous – I think that no-frills, no-nonsense approach is appropriate and even necessary in order to present the huge amount of densely packed information in this serious reference work. I’ll be returning to review many of these techniques over and over, and I’d rather not have to hear too much “personality” each time.
Actually, the only person I've heard this from (that I remember) is Spidey. Since then, I have asked several people about it, and they all seem to like my professional tone and concise delivery (and these are people I can trust to give honest opinions). Also, none of them thought my voice is "monotone," as Spidey has suggested. I guess he prefers the MTV-generation,strung-out-on-Red-Bull,reality-TV style of delivery. (just kidding Spidey :grin: )

I have only one suggestion for improving VEPS, and that’s the same one that others have mentioned. For a reference work so full of information that users will want to return to repeatedly, it’s essential to have a quick and easy way to get to the individual techniques. I suggest that timestamps for each numbered shot be added to the printed index to make it easier to find them on the video.
Excellent suggestion. I will add this tomorrow. On Disc III, I will also have the shot number persist in the bottom corner of the screen throughout the entire DVD to make it easier to fast-forward to the desired shot number after selecting the desired chapter from the disc menu. I forgot who had suggested this in the previous VEPS thread, but thank you again for the idea. This, along with the added timestamps in the index documents, will make it very easy to find the desired shot quickly.

Here’s the second highest compliment I can pay to VEPS: I wish I'd produced it. Judging by Disc I it will be the most comprehensive, authoritative, accessible and generally useful instructional publication for pool to date (and probably for a long time to come), and the standard against which every other such publication will be measured.

If Discs II through V are anything like this first one, then I can’t wait to shell out my 150 hard-earned bucks for the series, and I highly recommend that anybody interested in making the most of their game or in giving the pool players in their lives a gift they’ll appreciate for years to come, do the same.

pj
chgo

GET IT here: http://www.dr-dave-billiards.com/veps/
Again, thank you for the high praise, and for the great idea.

Regards,
Dave
 
SpiderWebComm said:
I think someone who is a novice to intermediate player can gain a lot from this video. I doubt more advanced players will have as many epiphanies
This is my concern... <above>.

I already have a bunch of video's on the basics and a pretty strong understanding of what's happening and why.

Think Im gonna roll with it and give this DVD a chance. Really just debating on waiting for the higher volume vid's hopefully to find more things that would be relavant to my skill level and interest.
I think even some "more advanced players" can learn something from the first DVD; although, they should "know" all of this stuff already (even if only intuitively). Even Spidey admitted he didn't know about all of the long power-draw advice in shot 67.

As far as the entire series goes, I am confident that every player (no matter how "advanced") will learn something useful. Tom is certainly a "more advanced player," and he learned some things he didn't know while we were filming. I also learned many things from him. Also, when we were originally planning the series, we went through every book, video, and magazine in our entire collection for ideas we might have overlooked, so our series benefits from all of the great past work from others (Jewett, Byrne, Martin, Grady, Page, etc.), as we mention in our acknowledgments.

I'll make you a deal. If you purchase Disc I, and don't think it is worth the $30, I will happily refund your money.

Regards,
Dave
 
I have viewed the VEPS disc I also.
Dr Dave and Tom Ross have done an excellent job.
There are many good instructional DVD's out there.
This one is top notch.
On a scale of 1 - 10, this disc should be given a 10.
Thanks Ralph. Tom and I have gotten lots of positive feedback so far, and some good suggestions. I look forward to hearing what other AZB'ers think.

All of the positive feedback helps motivate me to keep working hard on Disc III. Tom and I finished all of the filming for the entire series in October, but a lot of work remains to complete the editing, illustrations, narrations, and final production of the last three discs. I'll have an extremely busy (but fun) "Holiday" season.

Regards,
Dave
 
Here's an idea regarding the timestamps/indexing concerns:
You could offer a version that is not a conventional DVD, but contains 150 separate .avi (or .mpg, whatever) files. No VIDEO_TS or any of that. Just proper organisation.

-tim
 
Ordered Mine

Ordered the first two discs. From what I could see from the samples I think this is going to be a great series of dvds
 
Here's an idea regarding the timestamps/indexing concerns:
You could offer a version that is not a conventional DVD, but contains 150 separate .avi (or .mpg, whatever) files. No VIDEO_TS or any of that. Just proper organisation.

-tim
That's a great idea! I currently offer this (in CD-ROM format) for my "Illustrated Principles of Pool and Billiards" videos. If I compress the VEPS shot videos, I can probably fit the entire VEPS series (with lower picture quality) on one DVD-ROM disc, with a browser interface. I think most people prefer DVDs they can watch on their TV, but some might like the convenience of a computer interface, where they could quickly browse to and play any individual shot video in the series. Again, great idea! I'll work on this after the series is finished.

Regards,
Dave
 
Last edited:
Back
Top