Vimeo VOD to Transform Pool?

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/03/vimeo-launches-vimeo-on-demand-pay-per-view-feature/

I appears that Vimeo has begun a new service where video providers can charge for their video content. They also plan on getting a pretty good chunk of the transaction, but it may be worth it to providers to not have to invest in the costs of setting up vod on your own site. I know TAR has talked about setting up VOD in the past, this may be a good route for them to pursue. Granted, I'm not a techie. But, I do know that Vimeo offers high quality videos that are accessed through new home devices for television (which means HDTV).

I believe this is the beginning that will transform all of our instructional dvd's and maybe even match play. And I would think at some point they would offer a club status for unlimited viewing for each individual provider, which they may have planned. It doesn't seem all that long since VCR tapes (I have many left over now) were the standard.

Reactions: JAM

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/technology/2013/03/vimeo-launches-vimeo-on-demand-pay-per-view-feature/

I appears that Vimeo has begun a new service where video providers can charge for their video content. They also plan on getting a pretty good chunk of the transaction, but it may be worth it to providers to not have to invest in the costs of setting up vod on your own site. I know TAR has talked about setting up VOD in the past, this may be a good route for them to pursue. Granted, I'm not a techie. But, I do know that Vimeo offers high quality videos that are accessed through new home devices for television (which means HDTV).

I believe this is the beginning that will transform all of our instructional dvd's and maybe even match play. And I would think at some point they would offer a club status for unlimited viewing for each individual provider, which they may have planned. It doesn't seem all that long since VCR tapes (I have many left over now) were the standard.

Thanks for the info. That is very interesting, indeed! :smile:

I recently did a job about the political campaign outreach, and one of the methods of advertising were these short ads that play before a video. I see it all the time on YouTube. I can't remember what they call it, but does the person who publishes the video get compensation for those ads?

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. That is very interesting, indeed! :smile:

I recently did a job about the political campaign outreach, and one of the methods of advertising were these short ads that play before a video. I see it all the time on YouTube. I can't remember what they call it, but does the person who publishes the video get compensation for those ads?

JAM,
It used to be that ads on normal web pages give compensation when someone hits the hyperlink to go to their page. But, I'm not sure about actual video advertisements. And I'm not sure that this service would have advertisements or not. Because it appears to be set up as a way for someone, like TAR, to set up videos on demand. So that a customer would sign on, pay a fee, and then watch the video that they pay for. So, instead of running an entire service set up on their own web page, they could upload their video on vimeo. Now, like I said, I am no techie, but this is how I understand the service.

Daren

SouthernDraw

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
More links...

Vimeo's blog with more info and a goofy advertisement video...
http://vimeo.com/blog/post:559
Here's the take, from a blogger from full length films...
http://www.shortoftheweek.com/2013/03/13/vimeo-on-demand/

This is marketed towards indie films, but it seems a natural fit for folks like TAR, accu-stats, and all instructional videos.

Last edited:

JCIN

TheActionReport.com
Gold Member
I have already started setting up a TAR page. If they do what they say they will and the numbers really are what they say they are it is going to be a big deal for content producers everywhere.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
JAM,
It used to be that ads on normal web pages give compensation when someone hits the hyperlink to go to their page. But, I'm not sure about actual video advertisements. And I'm not sure that this service would have advertisements or not. Because it appears to be set up as a way for someone, like TAR, to set up videos on demand. So that a customer would sign on, pay a fee, and then watch the video that they pay for. So, instead of running an entire service set up on their own web page, they could upload their video on vimeo. Now, like I said, I am no techie, but this is how I understand the service.

Daren

Thanks for the great info!

That other thing I was talking about is called "pre-roll," the ads that show up on YouTube clips. Some advertising folks think the pre-roll ads are more effective in micro-targeting prospective customers than, say, banner ads -- well, at least that is what they said in the political campaign headquarters after studying it.

I find those pre-roll ads annoying, but truth be told, I hardly ever look at banner ads. They might be there, but I couldn't tell you who or what they are. :embarrassed2:

With the pre-roll ads, though, you're kind of forced to watch it in order to see the content you are really there for. LOL

Johnnyt

Burn all jump cues
Silver Member
I have already started setting up a TAR page. If they do what they say they will and the numbers really are what they say they are it is going to be a big deal for content producers everywhere.

I hope it turns out to be a homerun for TAR. Johnnyt