Humidity is a huge factor.Funny you mention that.
The only skids I've noticed have been lately on diamond tables using master chalk. My go to chalk for decades. Is it my stroke, or something else going on.
Finding 2 or 3 places like that where you could make the rounds until you eventually had to move on was what many of us looked for. Farm them. A dollar went much further back then and a $20 8 ball table stake was gold if you could hold it all night.I played a lot of bar table pool back then. A good night on a challenge table could yield $50-100. That was a very good days pay back then.
No two bars were the same and the tables played were different! Cue balls, lights, rails, etc. It took getting used too. I would watch carefully until it was my turn to play, learning all I could before I hit a ball. There was no warm up or time to practice. And if you lost you might have a long wait to play again.
You learn to play good from the get go! I was there to make money, not make friends. I was never satisfied until the last guy quit. I loved the feeling of going home with my pockets stuffed with bills. First thing when I got home was to put the money on the table and neatly unfold it, count it and put it away. Then I could go to sleep thinking good thoughts.
I NEVER stalled in bars. I gave them my best game. They all wanted to be the guy who beat me! And I rarely got any heat from anyone. I was friendly but very competitive. That's what worked for me.
I didn't want to wait four or five games to play again. That's lost wages for me.Finding 2 or 3 places like that where you could make the rounds until you eventually had to move on was what many of us looked for. Farm them. A dollar went much further back then and a $20 8 ball table stake was gold if you could hold it all night.
The only thing that could ruin the action would be some guy whining to the owner about having to play table stakes when he didn't wanna.
Ruin a good thing real quick.
Playing my best game was something I tried to avoid, #1, bcuz I have a lazy streak, #2, bcuz I can't have a blast focusing on execution. I'd rather roll on auto pilot and have fun and bear down when necessary. Only play hard enuf to win. Easier to return that way and kept headaches to a minimum. But that's just how I roll.