VNEA 30, 40 and 50 zip matches

worktheknight

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have been lucky enough to and played good enough to receive the VNEA's 30 zip match awards in 1994 and 2004. In 2006 I received the 50 zip. The last night of one of my leagues which is a four round match I was very close to the 40 zip. I'm not sure if other leagues have the same offer, but, it had me wondering if any players in the VNEA system or others that present this type of awards have actually achieved all three awards. With league and tournament play almost eliminating the three round play, the 30 zip awards are going to be scarce moving forward. Just wondering how many azers have achieved one or more of these perfect matches.
 

Attachments

  • perfect match 30 - 50 zip.jpg
    perfect match 30 - 50 zip.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 722
I've only been playing in the VNEA for a couple of years now but I can't remember anybody getting a 40-0 (we play 4 rack matches) and I would know because we all throw in 10 dollars a man and the best man wins the 40 buckaroos. It always boils down to who gives up the most balls since usually there's more than one guy who gets a 40. I can't recall anybody ever giving up 0 balls. That's pretty tough to do. Even when you B&R you often give up a ball just because you choose solids after pocketing a stripe on the break or vice versa. Then on their break -- they have to break dry both times. Not impossible but tough to do.

The only person I can recall ever 40 zipping like this (not in VNEA) would be BCA Hall of Famer Nick Varner. Did I just say that out loud? :grin-square:
 
30 zip for me

I had one in the 90's but that was when if you broke and ran your opponent got a "0". Now if you make 1 an 1 on the break and you run out, you get a 10-1. He gets points for balls you make for him.
I didn't get a plaque but they used to put your name in the back page of the rule book the following year.
 
Congrats!

That is quite a feat. Zero points given up, that's crazy! Best I ever did was 50-8 and that was in this years playoffs for Vegas. I had 4 Eros and made 4 of those 8 points against on my break so 50-4 otherwise. Only ever saw one 50-0 in my league done by Dwight Boucher.
 
Chuck, that's quite a feat. You should be very proud of this. I have a 50-0, once. Thought that was great. You have the Grand Slam of VNEA Pool.

How about we meet for coffee this August? I will be in Mankato the entire Month. Email me at:

goettlicher@verizon.net

Give me your phone number.

randyg
 
Randy, be a pleasure seeing you again !!, am sure when we meet, you'll know who I am, shot against you and your instructor teammates about seven or eight years ago, can't remember, but, I was shooting with the old Jackpot Junction Minnesota team at the time, we were the only team to take you guys into the 5th round, don't believe we got our last team member to the table, but, lol... in the last round to start making it a little interesting, I broke and ran a table against your team in about 35 seconds, lol, at least it seemed that way as I actually remember you saying something like, well now that was like practicing at home, or something to that effect. I was at the time like no mood as I felt we should have given your team a much better run for your money and we were down like 25 points before my run. With a couple of games left we were at least within a shot being down 15, but, lost the next game to end the match. Your a great positive person and great instructor as I have easily very much respect for you as a person first and one heck of a game with knowledge. Please let me know when your coming up as I would love to share some table time and have a few great times sharing some stories.
Be safe my friend.
Chuck
 
Small world, I shot league against you around 2001/2002 and you guys always put a beating on us. I imagine your old teammate Steve might have a couple of these plaques as well, that old Hutchinson league had some good teams.
 
That old Hutch league sure did have many good players !!! and yes, Steve was a teammate of mine from 1998 through 2008 and in fact, Steve did get a 30-zip two weeks after mine in 1994. Both Steve and myself are listed in the older rule books. It was very unreal to both of us to have shot for years and pull two 30-zips in two weeks.
It's a shame the old Hutch league went from like 16 teams to nothing. Wow. I can still remember the last place team winning the trip to VNEA Vegas Championships !!!, Man, they had a riot. They done more in one week around Vegas than I have in 23 years shooting out there !!!. Just a blast.
 
There are several people from Indiana who have accomplished that.

There is so much luck in it, almost 50/50 on luck/skill not making a ball of the other kind for every match (when that is the rules)

Back a long time ago, it didn't matter what you made, and I believe that is when the 2 really strong Indiana teams did it. Probably 3 really strong teams if you count Portage's team and AL, who'd play anyone in the world BB 8 ball.
 
Off topic but still VNEA, what is the most consecutive 8 on the breaks anybody here has witnessed? 3 in a row for me, in a row to start the first game of the night.
 
Makes a huge difference on if those people were hitting the side of the rack or the head ball first. Huge difference.

1 with a hanger is the most I've seen in Valley play.
 
Don't they award a 30 zip if you have three consecutive 10-0 games even in a 4 or 5 game match? I think that would qualify for some recognition.
 
The perfect match award only qualifies if you equal all the 10-0's in the match format. If your match is a 3 round format you can of course get the 30-zip. If it's a 4 round match, you must have a 40-zip and of course a 50-zip is only achieved in the 5 games being 10-0 each. If you have a 40-0 going on in a 5 round match and end up at 50-1, it does not give you a 40-zip award because it's a 5 round format.
Keeps the near impossible alive, lol.
 
Back in the late 80's, in Bozeman MT I also secured a 30-zip award in the VNEA. I got recognized at the national tournament, and at that time was the only 30-zip recipient in the entire western US. Lots more have happened since then. As others have said, it's very lucky not to make an opponent's ball on the break, and still run out...especially 3 racks in a row!

Scott Lee
http://poolknowledge.com
 
In vnea, you score each game as one point for a solid and one point for a stripe and 3 points for a eight ball. So If you win the game and I have two solids and you ran the stripes with the eight ball, score for that game would be you winning 10-2. If we played three games and you won each game 10-0, that would be a 30-zip, four game format with you winning all four games would be a 40-zip and of course the five game would be 50-zip. Very lucky to have 5 games where a one person gets lucky enough not to see a stripe or a solid fall on one break which would ruin the chances of a perfect match. All things must align with the heavens. Usually, in the vnea system, world wide, you might see 10 of these a year in 30-0, maybe 3 or 4 40-0 scores and maybe 1 or 2 50-0 scores. VNEA gives an award to you on their national stage during the international event in Las Vegas. Our particular League Operator gives a plaque also along with a Jacket. Very nice.
 
Back
Top