VNEA Rules Question

Who wins, Player A or Player B?

• Total voters

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
A Question for Certified VNEA Refs in particular but others are welcome to chime in as well.

I have a question for all VNEA certified referees and aspiring VNEA certified referees. Please cite the rule book when answering.
Player A makes his 8 in the called pocket, turns to player B and shakes their hand for the good game. Whilst shaking hands and chatting the cue ball continues on it's path 3 rails and fouls in the same pocket the 8 ball was made in.
Who wins, Player A or B and Why?

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The handshake could be considered consession of match before the balls stopped rolling.

If player A tried to argue this, I believe they should be kicked in the nuts.

Its only fair.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
I voted player B wins....but I'd like to gamble with either player...
...the cue ball is still rolling...and neither one is paying attention?....:rolleyes:

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
The handshake could be considered consession of match before the balls stopped rolling.

If player A tried to argue this, I believe they should be kicked in the nuts.

Its only fair.

I see nothing regarding handshakes in VNEA rules.

We are in agreement on your second and third sentences.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
Make it 5-0.

No mention Player A placed their pocket marker between the called pocket and the first diamond on the 8. Even without the scratch, player B wins.

wild8bill9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Common sense and, rule book basics of an inning isn't over until all balls have stopped moving. Scratch and loss of game.

jimmyco

NRA4Life
Silver Member
VNEA Rules

F. Loss of Game

5.. Fouling while (pocketing) the 8-ball in the designated pocket.

H. Fouling.
All fouls must be called and acknowledged before next shot is taken. (exception: scratching)

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
VNEA Rules

F. Loss of Game

5.. Fouling while (pocketing) the 8-ball in the designated pocket.

H. Fouling.
All fouls must be called and acknowledged before next shot is taken. (exception: scratching)

The ref cited some rule from the VNEA Ref course that apparently supersedes the written VNEA rules, also said they would post it when they found it in their papers. It's been crickets since then however to my complete surprise. Can a certified VNEA ref from this message board post this unwritten rule that apparently trumps all the written rules?
Ref claimed because the shooter shook hands before the cue ball scratched in the same pocket the 8 was called in that it was a win for the shooter and not a loss as the rules clearly indicate.

Inaction

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Clear to me that Player B wins. Might be a little grey, if Player B was the one to initiate the handshake.

At a recent tournament, I shot my last ball in and had a medium length straight in shot on the 8. I saw my opponent reach for the pencil and mark the game. I missed the shot and saw that he had given me the win. I should have mentioned that he conceded when he marked the game for me. I still won the match.

Blaine B.

Clueless
Silver Member
Clear to me that Player B wins. Might be a little grey, if Player B was the one to initiate the handshake.

At a recent tournament, I shot my last ball in and had a medium length straight in shot on the 8. I saw my opponent reach for the pencil and mark the game. I missed the shot and saw that he had given me the win. I should have mentioned that he conceded when he marked the game for me. I still won the match.

Player A turned to initiate the handshake. I see no where in the VNEA rules where a handshake or breaking down a cue is a concession. Jump/break cues have existed for so long that I'll be damned if somebody is going to claim a win because I unscrewed the butt for a jump shot.

alstl

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Player A turned to initiate the handshake. I see no where in the VNEA rules where a handshake or breaking down a cue is a concession. Jump/break cues have existed for so long that I'll be damned if somebody is going to claim a win because I unscrewed the butt for a jump shot.

Unscrewing before the opponent is finished - not cool. I had a feeling there was more to the story.