Want to learn 3 cushion billiards

jjspelman

I will be moving to tampa in a few months and i play 3cushion, not the best but I could show you enough to at least play the game. I am in NW FL now and have a table at home but will not have a table once I move but was going to check out Billares Tampa also
Yes, please hit me up when you move here. DM me.

jjspelman

If you don't already have them, but sure to get Robert Byrne's three instructional books. His "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" is the best introduction to carom (mostly 3-cushion) billiards in English. You can probably get all three used for under $40 delivered.
They are on my Xmas list! ;)

Reactions: bbb

nikkatine

Registered
Yes, please hit me up when you move here. DM me.

20211224_114614.jpg

jjspelman

Go to U-tube, should Some good 3C instructional stuff.

Then learn by doing.
None of the videos that I have found are for absolute beginners, that I can tell. They do not tell you what to do and why. How to start. They are usually a great collection of angles and reference lines. Which are going to be important at some point but I need to start at square one.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I just went try to Utube, put in search Basis 3C Billiards.

Found like 7-10.

Do you know we how to search Utube?

Last edited:

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
None of the videos that I have found are for absolute beginners, that I can tell. They do not tell you what to do and why. How to start. They are usually a great collection of angles and reference lines. Which are going to be important at some point but I need to start at square one.

There is no training material available for absolute beginners, just have to take what's available and apply it, learn by doing and watching better players.

This is a nice series of videos if you can find them with pros explaining and demonstrating shots

SBC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Once you start playing, watch a bunch of pro matches. It will help you immensely to see shots.

Getting to the point of setting up your next shot is where it gets harder. But before you know it, you will be running 4 packs, then 6 or more.

Great game. Will teach so much.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think there's anything basic about the game
Well, someone who has no experience using a cue will be totally lost at 3-cushion, of course. If those players are going to start learning from scratch on a carom table, they should, very obviously, learn straight rail first. I hope that goes without saying.

However, the OP has played pool for a considerable time and probably knows how to change the path of the cue ball with draw and follow and how to use running and reverse english. That is exactly the sort of person Byrne was writing for. A complete beginner would have to learn the fundamentals of stroke and spin from the first half of the book which is about pool, and covers chalking and grip.

Here is the first page of the table of contents of the billiard part of Byrne's Standard book:

CropperCapture[840].png

Reactions: bbb

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Square one,
Is learning to address and roll a lone ball with a pool cue. Get on any table - barbox even - and start stroking.

jjspelman

Well this was under the Xmas tree this year. Really looking forward to digging in. There are about 240 pages. 50% (last half of book) of which is dedicated to 3-cushion.

Attachments

• byrnes-book.jpg
    byrnes-book.jpg
    187.7 KB · Views: 40

jjspelman

Square one,

Is learning to address and roll a lone ball with a pool cue. Get on any table - barbox even - and start stroking.
I have been playing pool for a while. 4 nights a week now to be exact. So stroking a ball is not really a problem. I simply want to learn 3-cushion.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have been playing pool for a while. 4 nights a week now to be exact. So stroking a ball is not really a problem. I simply want to learn 3-cushion.
OK. Use three balls ( I use cueballs (I bought a standard billiard set but no table anywhere) ) And start billiarding. If you have acceptable mechanics, have at it.

KRJ

Support UKRAINE
Silver Member
Had a great 30 minute conversion with Bill this afternoon. Wonderful person. He is over in Cocoa Beach, FL and there isn't a billiard table within 150 miles north or south of him for what he told me. So he may not be able to provide in person coaching for now.

But we did discuss the possibility of connecting electronically with the basics and fundamentals of the game to whet my appetite. Selflessly offered me his Fundamentals chapter from his book to get started. Recommended that I review his YouTube videos as well as the articles on his website. I look forward to conversing with him in the immediate future and learning the game from one of the best sources for it. Can't imagine the stories this man could probably tell.

Thanks for all the feedback in this forum and thanks to @bbb !
Wait, Billy is Mr. 3 Cushion and wrote a book on it and played at an extremely high level and he does NOT have a table? WTF?

He use to play at my dad's pool room in Chicago decades ago ;)