Want to learn 3 cushion billiards

jjspelman

Looking to learn 3 cushion billiards in the Tampa Bay Area. Willing to travel some distance if necessary. Anyone know of anybody and anywhere a person can learn on a local table? Any help appreciated.

TheBasics

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
jjspelman, Howdy;

Try contacting this member of the forum;

mr3cushion

May also wish to post this in the CAROM forum ...

hank

Last edited:

jjspelman

Here's their facebook page with pictures of the two heated tables. (Scroll down past the happy people. ;))
Thanks, Bob. I have tried to call them several times but no one ever answers. Plus they have an incorrect number on another site. I can't get a specific time of opening hours either.

I was hoping to find someone who knows the place as well. Or any other place for that matter. :)

Might try what @TheBasics suggested.

Korsakoff

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I took 3 Cushion lessons in the late 60s from a guy in his 70s that used to run with Willie Hoppe.

Once my eyes were opened, I experienced that “a-ha” realization about those “lucky” 9 Ball players. You know, those guys that play pretty good but still always seem to “luck” the 9 Ball in a pocket while shooting another ball.

At my peak, for a short while, I was referred to as ”lucky” on occasion. Made me smile.

Good luck with your lessons. You’ll never regret it.

bud green

Dolley and Django
Silver Member
mr3cushion lives in Florida. He's posted on Onepocket.org recently so he should fairly easy to reach.

You could do a lot worse than learn from him, that's for sure.

axejunkie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe CM's in Seminole still has a table. I don't play there often but imagine there are some players who use it.

Donkeybutt

Registered
it’s a totally different game than pool. It’s not about accuracy but more about feel, which you can only get through tons of experience.

jjspelman

mr3cushion lives in Florida. He's posted on Onepocket.org recently so he should fairly easy to reach.

You could do a lot worse than learn from him, that's for sure.
I emailed him today so hopefully I will hear from him soon. I am also in Florida so maybe he's closer than I think.

jjspelman

Had a great 30 minute conversion with Bill this afternoon. Wonderful person. He is over in Cocoa Beach, FL and there isn't a billiard table within 150 miles north or south of him for what he told me. So he may not be able to provide in person coaching for now.

But we did discuss the possibility of connecting electronically with the basics and fundamentals of the game to whet my appetite. Selflessly offered me his Fundamentals chapter from his book to get started. Recommended that I review his YouTube videos as well as the articles on his website. I look forward to conversing with him in the immediate future and learning the game from one of the best sources for it. Can't imagine the stories this man could probably tell.

Thanks for all the feedback in this forum and thanks to @bbb !

Reactions: bbb

bbb

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Had a great 30 minute conversion with Bill this afternoon. Wonderful person. He is over in Cocoa Beach, FL and there isn't a billiard table within 150 miles north or south of him for what he told me. So he may not be able to provide in person coaching for now.

But we did discuss the possibility of connecting electronically with the basics and fundamentals of the game to whet my appetite. Selflessly offered me his Fundamentals chapter from his book to get started. Recommended that I review his YouTube videos as well as the articles on his website. I look forward to conversing with him in the immediate future and learning the game from one of the best sources for it. Can't imagine the stories this man could probably tell.

Thanks for all the feedback in this forum and thanks to @bbb !
good luck in your journey
glad i could help..... (y)

nikkatine

Registered
I will be moving to tampa in a few months and i play 3cushion, not the best but I could show you enough to at least play the game. I am in NW FL now and have a table at home but will not have a table once I move but was going to check out Billares Tampa also.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Looking to learn 3 cushion billiards in the Tampa Bay Area. Willing to travel some distance if necessary. Anyone know of anybody and anywhere a person can learn on a local table? Any help appreciated.
If you don't already have them, but sure to get Robert Byrne's three instructional books. His "Standard Book of Pool and Billiards" is the best introduction to carom (mostly 3-cushion) billiards in English. You can probably get all three used for under $40 delivered.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will be moving to tampa in a few months and i play 3cushion, not the best but I could show you enough to at least play the game. I am in NW FL now and have a table at home but will not have a table once I move but was going to check out Billares Tampa also.
Some of that is real good.
Some of that is real bad.