Wanted: Dewalt dw670 lamiante trimmer

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member

DW670 laminate trimmer
i was unaware this is a discontinued model
new style (D26670) will not fit my current router holders
i've got one getting repaired right now and one in use
my third one bit the dust today, which is when i ran to lowes to get another one and found the dw670 model is discontinued

i already know about the ones on ebay, working on one or two of those also
i've also checked all the places that reconditions dewalt tools, no luck
just looking for one to hold me over until i can change out my brackets

Last edited:

n10spool

PHD in table mechanics
Silver Member
take a picture if your setup and pm Pete tonkin and see if he can make you a new mount for the new style so you dont have to keep rebuilding worn out trimmers.

craig

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
take a picture if your setup and pm Pete tonkin and see if he can make you a new mount for the new style so you dont have to keep rebuilding worn out trimmers.

craig
thanks
think i found new brackets for new model
the two routers i have are less than two years old,
about every 6 to 8 months they need brushes

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey Brent, just wanted to let You know that I located and checked the box to My Dewalt, and mine is the D26670, and just to confirm what i mentioned, It does mount with a Bolt the same as My old porter cable. It should be Really easy to fabricate a mount. Depending on how You need to mount to your tool post, the Hightower bracket may still work with another lathe requiring little or no modification. The main concern I would see, would be if Your tool post bolt would fit, or if You would have to make the hole larger to accommodate It. The height of the router would be adjustable, so that part should work as is. I'm pretty sure I could easily machine something like this on My minimill if i had to, and I'm no expert machinist, so it's really simple compared to the type of routers that would require clamping around the housing.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Hey Brent, just wanted to let You know that I located and checked the box to My Dewalt, and mine is the D26670, and just to confirm what i mentioned, It does mount with a Bolt the same as My old porter cable. It should be Really easy to fabricate a mount. Depending on how You need to mount to your tool post, the Hightower bracket may still work with another lathe requiring little or no modification. The main concern I would see, would be if Your tool post bolt would fit, or if You would have to make the hole larger to accommodate It. The height of the router would be adjustable, so that part should work as is. I'm pretty sure I could easily machine something like this on My minimill if i had to, and I'm no expert machinist, so it's really simple compared to the type of routers that would require clamping around the housing.

this looks like the same animal to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-Router-Moun...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

my toolpost will accept up to 1"
this is 1.50" , so will have to do something about that, maybe bolt a 1" block to the back of this or have this milled down to 1"
this will take care of my vertical mount
will have to do something else for my horizontal mount

the more i look at this , looks as if there will be quite a bit hieght difference too
more work and more $$$$
hell with it, i'll get a machinist buddy i know to make me new brackets from scratch like the others he made for me
he works cheap, all he wants is cues :D

Last edited:

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
this looks like the same animal to me

http://cgi.ebay.com/CNC-Router-Moun...66:2|39:1|72:1205|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50

my toolpost will accept up to 1"
this is 1.50" , so will have to do something about that, maybe bolt a 1" block to the back of this or have this milled down to 1"
this will take care of my vertical mount
will have to do something else for my horizontal mount

the more i look at this , looks as if there will be quite a bit hieght difference too
more work and more $$$$
hell with it, i'll get a machinist buddy i know to make me new brackets from scratch like the others he made for me
he works cheap, all he wants is cues :D

My bad, I forgot the fact that You may be actually mounting it in the tool post Itself in place of a bit, A buddy of mine mounts his that way I believe, but uses a different router then the ones I use. My description would only be usable If You were replacing the tool post with the router mount in place of It, so You may be right, and It May be better to have something machined in your situation. I like the Idea of 2 fixed routers Myself, One for each angle, so that you can just snap them on and off with minimal adjustments.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Have the newer Dewalts become continuous duty? The older Dewalt laminate trimmers used to overheat really bad. I heard some have even set on fire. I liked it better than the Porter Cable becuse it had a precision 1/8" collet, but I could only run it for a few minutes at a time, so I went back to the Porter Cable. If they make them continuous duty and still have the same 1/8 collet set up then they would be really nice.

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Have the newer Dewalts become continuous duty? The older Dewalt laminate trimmers used to overheat really bad. I heard some have even set on fire. I liked it better than the Porter Cable becuse it had a precision 1/8" collet, but I could only run it for a few minutes at a time, so I went back to the Porter Cable. If they make them continuous duty and still have the same 1/8 collet set up then they would be really nice.
mine run for hours at a time chris, never had any trouble
mine are 1/4" collets

RBC

Deceased
BHQ

If you look at them, they are the same as the old Porter Cable trim routers.

Dewalt bought Porter Cable, and has moved this router under the Dewalt label.

I have many of both, and the operate the same. Ours run for hours every day, so we change brushes and bearings all the time. We use them until the commutator is so worn that they go through brushes too fast, and we throw them out.

Where we buy parts, the guys are adamant that they are not the same, but we buy parts for the Porter Cables and use them in the identical, except for the color, Dewalt routers.

Hope that helps!

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Chris they will mount to your brackets exactly the same way as the porter does. I've run Mine for pretty decent periods of time with no overheating, they are 1/4 as Brent said, and like Royce mentioned are the same routers except for label, color, and the top plastic cover is rounded, so other then that, the alloy frame, and all the internals are the same. Like him I also have both the dewalt and porter versions to compare. I posted a side by side picture on here one time in the past when I first bought a Dewalt to replace a porter due to bad bearings. Dave on here was kind enough to send me a new set of bearings at the time, so I rebuilt the porter, and It's still running as well.

Greg

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A tip for you router users.

Royce i know you use quite a few routers on a steady basis.
this is for the guys with routers that use brush assemblies.
Run your routers on DC power. your router will run 40% cooler and 40% less screaming noise. your torque curve will increase and carry over a wider rpm range. my dewalts are old and on the original brushes.

here is the parts list for a DC power supply. the three main parts are:
1. 1500 watt AC rotory dial dimmer switch.-any home depot
2. 200 volt 25 amp bridge rectifier -- nothing less
3. 200 volt 10,000 ufd DC capacitor -- the voltage can be higher but not lower. you will blow it up.

this is how you wire it up.
120 ac line volt to on/off switch -to- dimmer -to- rectifier -to- capacitor --to- on/off switch -to- router.

this setup also gives you variable speed control. my box has double outlets . you can plug any extension cord in and run a router 25 feet away . i run two routers off one power supply no problem.

bill

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
forgot to mention the the output will be 20vdc to 185vdc variable.
this depends on the makers of the dimmer and rectifier. you can use the 185 too, it wont hurt the router.

bill

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Chris they will mount to your brackets exactly the same way as the porter does. I've run Mine for pretty decent periods of time with no overheating, they are 1/4 as Brent said, and like Royce mentioned are the same routers except for label, color, and the top plastic cover is rounded, so other then that, the alloy frame, and all the internals are the same. Like him I also have both the dewalt and porter versions to compare. I posted a side by side picture on here one time in the past when I first bought a Dewalt to replace a porter due to bad bearings. Dave on here was kind enough to send me a new set of bearings at the time, so I rebuilt the porter, and It's still running as well.

Greg
i just snagged one on ebay to help hold me over until i get brackets for the new style housing.
my machinist buddies seem to be vapor this weekend. ;)

RBC

Deceased
A tip for you router users.

Royce i know you use quite a few routers on a steady basis.
this is for the guys with routers that use brush assemblies.
Run your routers on DC power. your router will run 40% cooler and 40% less screaming noise. your torque curve will increase and carry over a wider rpm range. my dewalts are old and on the original brushes.

here is the parts list for a DC power supply. the three main parts are:
1. 1500 watt AC rotory dial dimmer switch.-any home depot
2. 200 volt 25 amp bridge rectifier -- nothing less
3. 200 volt 10,000 ufd DC capacitor -- the voltage can be higher but not lower. you will blow it up.

this is how you wire it up.
120 ac line volt to on/off switch -to- dimmer -to- rectifier -to- capacitor --to- on/off switch -to- router.

this setup also gives you variable speed control. my box has double outlets . you can plug any extension cord in and run a router 25 feet away . i run two routers off one power supply no problem.

bill

Bill,

Thats an interesting idea!

The noise in my shop gets pretty loud. I have all the guys wearing hearing protection.

Just so I understand correctly, i wouldn't need to change anything with the router, correct?

Basically, you are just rectifying to DC before it gets to the router. I know the router has a rectifier in it, but yours should be much smoother with that capacitor.

Thanks

Royce Bunnell
www.obcues.com

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Royce

correct ,just plug it in. power supply takes care it. the smoother the DC
the better. the CAP i suggested is plenty. it will run two routers no problem.

bill

BHQ

we'll miss you
Silver Member
Royce

correct ,just plug it in. power supply takes care it. the smoother the DC
the better. the CAP i suggested is plenty. it will run two routers no problem.

bill
bill, how does this eliminate that shrill sound of the router?
i am "electrically challenged" :thumbup:

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member

Greg
The DeWalt I havbe does not mount the same as the Porter Cable. It was make for puch out work and laminate trimming. It has a 1/8" collet that runs less than 1/2 thousandth out. The best I have been able to do the the PC using a 1/8" collet adapter is 1/1000 out. I wish they would make the spindle the same as their old punch out router and the rest the same as the PC.

vasilios

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BHQ

all of the blue arching you see at the brushes when it is running on AC creates heat and noise. when you switch to DC the blue arch goes away. the fan also causes noise but the high scream comes from the arching..
you can also machine 1/2 the the fan away when you have it apart to help reduce noise.

bill

Cue Crazy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The DeWalt I havbe does not mount the same as the Porter Cable. It was make for puch out work and laminate trimming. It has a 1/8" collet that runs less than 1/2 thousandth out. The best I have been able to do the the PC using a 1/8" collet adapter is 1/1000 out. I wish they would make the spindle the same as their old punch out router and the rest the same as the PC.

I figured You were probably referring to a different model when you mentioned the 1/8 collet, I know I haven't used one, not sure if I've seen one though. Are You using It for inlay or tapering?

The 2 routers I posted I just use for tapering. They are basically the same as each other as I mentioned before, and can be seen in the picture, but one of them does seem to run out more then the other, so that one I usually use for ruff tapering while the other I use for final finishing cuts with the freshest blade installed. I hear the ryobi's are pretty good, but have to be clamp mounted around the housings. A buddy of mine uses one and seems to be happy with It.

Inlays I have about 4 dremels, and out of the 4 of them, I have 1 that doesn't run out too terribly bad, and does a pretty decent job with some custom stylus work, but I'm still way past due for a high quality spindle to replace It. I'm still using My panto, so I was kind of waiting until I make the cnc plunge to upgrade the spindle.