:: Warning!! :: Don't visit Red Shoes @ Chicago ! Unless.....

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Unless you want to shoot pool in a Really Nice Pool Hall with Great People around and Well Kept Tables!!

Seriously...I've heard so many people warn me about going to Red Shoes like I was gonna leave the place broke and naked...I mean I appreciate the heads up guys but I think all the worries are unfounded. I had a great time and left with my pants on and cue still with me plus a smile on my face.

The place doesn't look run down, it's clean, tidy and very well maintained. Nothing looks run down or smells bad it's really really proper. The equipments are great too, old GCs but level, great rails, clean and very well maintained. Tables are clean so much so that I can eat pizza with my hands without needing to wash, ok I did wash my hands but the water was clear when I washed.

I was the ONLY Asian there and at no point did I feel intimidated or un-welcome. Yes there were different races there, but they went about their own game and none of them was rowdy. Everybody there was civil. I'm elaborating this because I was warned that the neighborhood is not where I'd wanna be but I was there from 4pm to almost 12am... Granted I didn't roam the streets but if you're just playing pool what's wrong?

Granted there's a problem with Red Shoes...there are too many Johns in there! The owner's John and I was with 2 other AZers named Johns too...

So J-Flo(John Flores) works at Red Shoes and he introduced me to the owner John. The owner's a great guy, real funny and passionate about his hall. When he learnt that I was from Asia he bought me and the other 2 Johns a huge pizza(that huge that 3 big guys couldn't finish). He didn't have to do it but he was simply being a great host and it was a really kind gesture.

At this point you might think "ahhhh...Jive went with an inside person that's why everyone was cool with him".
I was at the pool hall with the AZer Crawf and nobody knew him there, so it was just the two of us for about 2 hours before J-Flo arrived and introduced us.

Anyway I feel really obligated to write this because I think Red Shoes might have gotten some unfounded negativity from the general public or other pool players who haven't been there. If you've not been there and you live in Chicago or is visiting I suggest you drop by Red Shoes and look for a John, any John should be fine :)

Once again a huge thanks to crawf and J-Flo for being such great host. It was genuinely a fun day with them and I just wish I had one more day with them. It's occasions like this that reminds me why AZ can be such a cool place. Who would've thought I'd be meeting and making new friends few thousand miles apart via a forum.

Here are some pictures I took.

77bc84e81041a3b607fad21a457a0d21.jpg

b6464f4e9c41b68d2c4a743e7d55414a.jpg

1cad4dcb308da5cb633a45c50dad67e9.jpg

6d60c6c947d931eb06a618156fc241ba.jpg

775bbdfcb03bf5ff7d7c6e990f9de0ff.jpg

2cc919ef788b39e46447f4a4907946b4.jpg

2e519d8ddf3b487823d49c4f04ed53fb.jpg

a779f6ad981897140ecdc7e9c8b9c1af.jpg

57cbd9e4c67d6d31fc88ecdc0d3f94b9.jpg

75078c4d5f31031e7bb2218ef9af8236.jpg

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
7822d02563528245f3c561198511fa64.jpg

Forgot to post the pizza! How could i... I should've taken a picture of the John(owner).

Btw I've visited quite a few pool halls around the world, in the U.S. the ones that I remember the names are Amsterdam @ NYC, Family Billiards @ San Francisco, Broken Rack @ Emeryville and several other pool halls in NYC, North Carolina, SFO and Las Vegas..just can't name it all.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Hmm, those tables don't look level to me...

Just kidding, that's awesome! I'll keep that in mind as I may have a chance to visit the Chicago area sometime next year for business.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Hmm, those tables don't look level to me...

Just kidding, that's awesome! I'll keep that in mind as I may have a chance to visit the Chicago area sometime next year for business.

Hehe you should totally look up J-Flo and Crawf.

Btw I'll be back in Tokyo on the 2nd of July around 3.30pm. But the time I get to my hotel will be 5.30-6pm. How does dinner and pool sound? I'll still be staying @ Asakusa.

victorl

Where'd my stroke go?
Silver Member
Sounds great.. I should be able to get off early and meet up. How does ramen and pool sound? I call it the "Daric Special".

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Haha ok sounds good. But you've gotta excuse the jetlag. But all the racking should keep me awake.

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey I'm hoping to visit you real soon! Do I get to play with your toys? :)

Seriously? You are coming to Amsterdam, that would be great :)

Of course you can play with one of my cues.. (I am sure I have a beat up mezz somewhere you can borrow hahaha)

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Seriously? You are coming to Amsterdam, that would be great :)

Of course you can play with one of my cues.. (I am sure I have a beat up mezz somewhere you can borrow hahaha)

I'm sure beat up mezz is code word for Fancy Tascarella or Mobley :)

I'll definitely try to make it to Amsterdam, I hear you guys have great pastries there...

ibuycues

I Love Box Cues
Silver Member
Jive,

Nice post about Red Shoes!

If you ever make it to Kansas, there is a great poolroom in Olathe (a KC suburb), and you can stay at our home.
I'll make sure you get some world class BBQ.

Will Prout

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Jive,

Nice post about Red Shoes!

If you ever make it to Kansas, there is a great poolroom in Olathe (a KC suburb), and you can stay at our home.
I'll make sure you get some world class BBQ.

Will Prout

Thanks for your kind invitation Will, I'll be sure to take you up on your offer when I'm in your neck of the woods. You had me at BBQ :)

Grantstew

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I'm sure beat up mezz is code word for Fancy Tascarella or Mobley :)

I'll definitely try to make it to Amsterdam, I hear you guys have great pastries there...

Yes, there would be a few fancy cues for you to try...

Is pastries a code word as well? I can think of a couple of things that Amsterdam is better known for hahaha!

His Boy Elroy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Who were all these people warning you? I don't think they were AZ posters. I've never read anything thing about the place in these forums that wasn't positive.. I can tell you first- hand, there's nothing un - safe about the neighborhood.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Who were all these people warning you? I don't think they were AZ posters. I've never read anything thing about the place in these forums that wasn't positive.. I can tell you first- hand, there's nothing un - safe about the neighborhood.

When I spoke to the owner he too mentioned that there were people claiming his pool hall or area unsafe and he's disturbed by these rumors and claims. Told me in the 20 years that he's operated the room he's never had the cops called upon.
Who told me what isn't important, what's important is that it's a great place and more people should visit.

Jive

Professional Racker
Silver Member
Any level shots....I got pretty dizzy looking at those.

Cool room though.

When you see my thread just go away, I don't live to serve you. I don't give a hoots if you're dizzy, I'd love for you to puke all over your keyboard so you can't type anymore.
Why don't you never learn that you annoy the hell out of me?

dom_poppa

Banned
Nevermind...looks like they have a website. I must say I like the vibe in there. Here are the pics from their site....

more%20tables.jpg

civilian%20side.jpg

skins

Likes to draw
Silver Member
That's my stomping ground... Thought you'd have taken me up on my offer to go see Joe (cognoscenti) but I guess you already had your plans figured out.. Oh well.. Next time. Glad you enjoyed yourself.

Patrick53212

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Red Shoes

I typically stop in to shoot there when I am staying in Alsip for business in Chicago. I usually stay at the DoubleTree in Alsip or the Holiday Express in Crestwood. If I stay at the Holiday Express in Crestwood, I typically go to Pockets Billiards because you can walk to it (only a block away). I prefer Red Shoes though. I have gotten cheap action at both locations though. Up North, I have played at Shooters. Now that I do most of my business travel by car, I typically take my cue with me and play where and when I can. I have always felt comfortable at all three of the pool halls I have listed above. When I have said I am from out of town, everyone has always been very friendly and respectful.