Was Jay Right ?

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Scroll to around 15:20. Shane passes on a push out that everyone probably shoots.
To make matters worse, Jay makes the comment he don't think Shane could execute the shot that well. :eek: Are you kidding me, are best player cant execute that shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEKqpP5y2Uw

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Scroll to around 15:20. Shane passes on a push out that everyone probably shoots.
To make matters worse, Jay makes the comment he don't think Shane could execute the shot that well. :eek: Are you kidding me, are best player cant execute that shot.

In JH's defense, as a whole the US's safety play is not as good as the Euro's. Pretty sure that was kinda the basis of the statement you refer to. I myself was surprised that SVB passed. Looked like a not-too-tuff safety from my view.

nobcitypool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think re vast majority top pros take that shot versus betting on their opponent to screw it up. Seems to me, the odds of you having a much more difficult shot when you return to the table are much higher.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

In JH's defense, as a whole the US's safety play is not as good as the Euro's. Pretty sure that was kinda the basis of the statement you refer to. I myself was surprised that SVB passed. Looked like a not-too-tuff safety from my view.
Watch Shane's shot at about 17:20...terrible hit...terrible choice.
...slow half ball hit...object ball behind the 6-ball..the failures do not leave an out.
..instead, Shane may well have given Jayson BIH

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
We saw Billy I think tell sky a safety and sky replied I don't hit that shot well tried it and failed miserably

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well, you have to look at the fact that SVB passed on it. That means he didn't think he could execute it himself.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Watch Shane's shot at about 17:20...terrible hit...terrible choice.
...slow half ball hit...object ball behind the 6-ball..the failures do not leave an out.
..instead, Shane may well have given Jayson BIH

That was bad, I think he was trying to come to the end rail, just hit the ball way to thick.
The shot he passed back to Jason was much easier, just don't hit it thick..

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
I think re vast majority top pros take that shot versus betting on their opponent to screw it up. Seems to me, the odds of you having a much more difficult shot when you return to the table are much higher.

This is what Im thinking. What can I do to him, whats he going to do to me. He passed on a much easier shot. You can't hope for luck at this level.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
Well, you have to look at the fact that SVB passed on it. That means he didn't think he could execute it himself.

No..Shane had nerves bothering him. Actually the whole team has fell victim to this,

I don't care what level your at, when you become scared to shoot, your done.

BmoreMoney

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Well someone made a nasty inference in regards to Shane in another thread and I'm glad that speculation did not continue. ANYONE can have a bad day, couple of days, or week, or .......... whatever - this just ain't his thing I guess

one stroke

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No..Shane had nerves bothering him. Actually the whole team has fell victim to this,

Its not scared at all its a level of anxiety he feels has nothing to do with scared

Neil

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It doesn't matter if it was nerves, or his underware riding up on him. At the time, he didn't think he could pull off the shot.

8pack

They call me 2 county !
Silver Member
It doesn't matter if it was nerves, or his underware riding up on him. At the time, he didn't think he could pull off the shot.

Or maybe he thought Shaw couldn't execute it. Who knows.

LowRight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
To make matters worse, Jay makes the comment he don't think Shane could execute the shot that well.

I think Jay was wrong on that call. I've watched many of Shane's matches live at the U.S. Open over the past 10 years. He would normally take that shot without any hesitation and get safe every time. He just made a very bad decision — especially when he was up 3-0. Heck, I just set that shot up on my table and got safe 10 out of 10 tries. Of course I wasn't under any pressure, but it's very hard not to get safe on that shot.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think Jay was wrong on that call. I've watched many of Shane's matches live at the U.S. Open over the past 10 years. He would normally take that shot without any hesitation and get safe every time. He just made a very bad decision — especially when he was up 3-0. Heck, I just set that shot up on my table and got safe 10 out of 10 tries. Of course I wasn't under any pressure, but it's very hard not to get safe on that shot.

I guess Shane was wrong too then. Read the other replies on here and you may begin to understand what was going on in Shane's head. He was just a little unsure of himself and his ability to pull this shot off at that moment. It has absolutely nothing to do with how he plays at the U.S. Open. This is the MC and Shane is always a little uneasy here. You do see how Jayson had to slow roll that ball (from distance) with the cue ball starting on the end rail. A lot could go wrong with this shot and Shane just didn't feel comfortable shooting it. That much is obvious. Hit it too hard or too soft and you give up a shot. I think Shane was hoping for Jayson to mess up and he almost did. If the three doesn't contact the five he gives up a shot! So maybe Shane was right to pass on the shot. The end result was some good execution by Jayson to hook Shane.

P.S. I rarely ever listen to my own commentary (on youtube or anywhere else) but in this case I did. I felt what I had to say here was appropriate for the situation. I wouldn't change one word! :)

Last edited:

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think Shaw actually did overhit the shot. If the OB had not brushed that ball, it may have ended up out in the open.

Also, where that OB was, so close or frozen to the rail, it was prime double kiss territory.

Just saying a lot could have gone wrong with the shot. I think either shooting or passing back the push were both correct choices.

IMO:)

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to agree when watching the tape, it was strange that Shane passed on it. Shaw had no hesitation as to what to do when he came back to the table, and executed the safety easily to hook Shane. What I found amusing is that when Shane lucked in the double bank on the jump shot, everyone in the crowd gave him an ovation even though he had absolutely no shot on the 4 ball.

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
I have to agree when watching the tape, it was strange that Shane passed on it. Shaw had no hesitation as to what to do when he came back to the table, and executed the safety easily to hook Shane. What I found amusing is that when Shane lucked in the double bank on the jump shot, everyone in the crowd gave him an ovation even though he had absolutely no shot on the 4 ball.

The pro USA crowd was looking for something to cheer about. :wink:

gesan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
For whatever reason Shane seems to be uncomfortable in mosconi cup play. Maybe he puts too much pressure on himself because he wants to win more for his country or his teammates then he does when he plays for himself.

Except for the last match (which seemed like the right move to me at the time) he is always put in the clean up roll (for lack of a better term), it might be worth a shot to put another player in that spot.

FWIW I thought the commentary was insightful and pretty much right on. I personally like some of the other folks mentioned but I have spent a lot of time in poolrooms. Aside from which I mostly wasted time on mundane things like working,school, and useless endeavors. The unlucky majority that haven't spent their time as wisely as I have, might just might take an interest in the game with the way things were pointed out and the examples Jay in particular articulated. I take my hat off to both men!

I wish the us did better but the overall production was well done. IMHO