Waste of money pool items

SeniorTom

Apparently I had used it wrong. I'll give it a try in a couple of months using your method. The reason I say "couple of months" is because I just recovered my table and have been using Taom chalk. If I find out I don't need it you have one for 25 bux.
Won't a vacuum cleaner with a brush attachment work just as well? I got to believe it's easier on the fabric as well instead of rubbing the x-1 against the cloth all the time.

Dan White

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It works great IF you use it right. Have to use LIGHT pressure and speed to get the static elec. built up. I've used one a lot and it removes a boatload of chalk. If yours wasn't getting full of chalk quik you weren't using it right. I did four tables at the hall one day and took it outside. Knocked it on the bricks and CLOUDS of chalk dust came off. If you know where i can get them for 25bux i'll take a few, they're about 100 new.
I believe I was using it correctly. I'm the only one playing in my basement so that's a very different situation than what you are doing. Maybe I'll try again, but like Tom just said it might be quicker to pull the hand vacuum out.

nataddrho

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
all the little gizmos muddy up my convenience

Wow.

You guys think a joint protector is an inconvenient gizmo??? Do you even own a smart phone?

I think maybe a lot of you are my wrong audience... mostly all extremely late adopters of technology.

Now it is clear.

DeeDeeCues

Wow.

You guys think a joint protector is an inconvenient gizmo??? Do you even own a smart phone?

I think maybe a lot of you are my wrong audience... mostly all extremely late adopters of technology.

Now it is clear.

What does a joint protector actually do?

If you drop a cue, you might screw up the joint, but you will almost definitely screw up the finish.

Add to that, I've seen as many cues dropped while people were putting the joint protectors on as any other scenario.

jason

Unprofessional everything
Silver Member
What pool related item do you feel was a waste of money? Whether it is an expensive cue, training item, or other nicknack, what item do you feel you wasted your money on ? I ill start by saying the Buddy Hall cue guide is something I never use. Maybe you love yours, but I never use mine.

Although you may never use it, it is a good tool to know how straight your stroke is. I use and teach with a beer bottle. Just as good and comes with a 12 oz bonus! The truth is that it is very important to stoke consistently and that is a very good way to gage. As far as a training tool, I'm not so sure. To me it is more of a testing tool, but I suppose if you practice with it your stroke would have to improve. People will buy anything.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
I know a ton of bakers that can use business post COVID.

Anyone interested in paying premium fees for cakes decorated with billiard art of billiard faces?

Billiard room buys cake, cake promotes on social media, everyone is happy. Bakers are just like pool players, a lot of upfront costs.

I can bake a line of billiard ball cookies. With chalky chocolate chips. White chocolate can be made blue.

Lawnboy77

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow.

Now it is clear.
A joint protector really doesn’t offer any real protection over and beyond what a good case provides. All you did when throwing extra pieces into the process was increase the time and steps it takes to get the cue ready for play, or to put it away for safe storage. The amount of time the joints are exposed to potential mishandling is about the same whether you use JP’s, or not.

Last edited:

SeniorTom

Wow.

Now it is clear.
I mentioned in an earlier post that I dropped my cue on the concrete basement floor from about 3 feet up without joint protectors on. The joint was just fine but the butt collar of the cue was damaged. I am thinking if the joint protector was on at the time I may not have damaged the butt end part of the cue. Even so, I don't like using them and probably will continue not to.

SeniorTom

Although you may never use it, it is a good tool to know how straight your stroke is. I use and teach with a beer bottle. Just as good and comes with a 12 oz bonus! The truth is that it is very important to stoke consistently and that is a very good way to gage. As far as a training tool, I'm not so sure. To me it is more of a testing tool, but I suppose if you practice with it your stroke would have to improve. People will buy anything.
I was watching a technique for checking the quality of one's stroke by using the rail of a pool table and stroking it back and forth to line up with the felt/wood line. It seems like an excellent way to practice because you're not restricted up or down vertically with the tube.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Those measle balls are heavier and in some cases a tad larger than the house set your parlor uses.
Found this out thru experimentation when deflect angles and draw weren't working as they should. Thot I was crazy at first. Nope. There's a diff. Wanted to toss that out there for terrible players like myself.
Hope it helps.
People swear they are the same and I don’t mind playing with one but I can tell it just doesn’t play the same

Prison break

2 9 7 8 a
Joint protectors. Two piece cues were just fine for 75 years or so but now you need something to protect the joint? Next thing you know they'll be making a joint protector protector.

I know some will disagree.

funny little bit
I use JP's, religiously Picone, serious quality Delrin
(peace of mind)

If anyone purchased Rhino and didn't get the additional 5%, here's a code they can't argue with
IMG_20240105_110659.jpg

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Anyone want a strike plate for the back of the pocket?

It is to tell the new players they have to hit this strike plate hard with the OB, no soft shots.

It is to train their firm stroke, new players should not have soft impotent limp strokes.

New players should be taught it is firm from the beginning then learn to control it more or less with experience.

Strike plates cost $1 and retail for $20, a pro can carry 50 no problem.

Texas Carom Club

9ball did to billiards what hiphop did to america
Silver Member
Even tho I should say since I bought the bk rush I made 2500 bucks with it on break pots in 2 weeks time and another 600 last night soooo
It’s not exactly a waste of money lmao
Infact thay brand new one was paid for with all break pot money