[WCOP] Team Philippines (Reyes / Biado) Withdraws

Obviously, Efren's visa is his own responsibility and the misunderstanding isn't Matchroom's fault at all. However, Matchroom has seen enough visa and travel issues throughout the past year that they can't be completely shocked at this. Going forward, even though it shouldn't have to be their responsibility, I think Matchroom should confirm that tournament participants have secured the necessary travel/other documentation to compete BEFORE launching massive campaigns marketing their participation.

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member
Your nut member of Buck Rogers Club, it code.
Can you translate this nonsense into something that makes sense? Please read what you wrote out loud if you aren't able to look at it and immediately see what an unintelligible garbled mess it is.
Get with it.🤭
You need to get with proof reading your posts first so they can actually be understood. It would be one thing for something incomprehensible like the above to slip by on rare occasion, but literally 90% of your posts are like that where they are just nonsensical gibberish that is extremely tough or impossible to understand. There is no excuse for your laziness. Proof read your posts to make sure they can actually be read and understood before you press the "post reply" button to send them through.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Top pool players travel the world and are 100% responsible for staying on top of travel and visa issues.

I don't think Matchroom can possibly stay abreast of the travel requirements for every country, and no, they are not babysitters. Travelers, especially those that must travel to earn their income, need to be knowledgeable about both travel from and reentry policies pertinent to their own countries. I recall one of the players, whose name presently escapes me, comment that he could have come to the 2021 WPC in England, but he was concerned that he might not be able to reenter his own country.

At this moment in history more than any other, players need to keep abreast of travel requirements pertinent to their own countries.

I agree that Matchroom can’t keep up on every country’s visa requirements. But I do question whether they are at least keeping a checklist of their invited players to track who (a) has a valid visa in effect, (b) has a visa request currently processing, and (c) who does not have a valid visa and hasn’t ordered one. I have trouble following Carlo’s video but it sounded like as of 6/11 Efren hadn’t even ordered one yet (assuming a super priority visa request was available). I might be getting facts wrong. But how is it the visa request didn’t occur by 5/19 when they announced his invitation? I know I’m lashing out a bit and probably going trough the 7 stages of grief. But from a viewer’s perspective if Matchroom is going to hype up bringing in Efren then they still have to own it not happening for avoidable reasons. Maybe given the circumstances, Efren specifically was worth the effort. Just like maybe given the circumstances Earl was worth knowing if he’s vaccinated and arranging his travel to have lead time on possible quarantines. Or stuff like this can happen with their marquee gimmick players and they accept it as status quo.

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Can you translate this nonsense into something that makes sense? Please read what you wrote out loud if you aren't able to look at it and immediately see what an unintelligible garbled mess it is.

That's why I had to block his posts finally. Every time I read one it seemed like one of us was having a stroke. I had to keep feeling my face.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
I agree that Matchroom can’t keep up on every country’s visa requirements. But I do question whether they are at least keeping a checklist of their invited players to track who (a) has a valid visa in effect, (b) has a visa request currently processing, and (c) who does not have a valid visa and hasn’t ordered one. I have trouble following Carlo’s video but it sounded like as of 6/11 Efren hadn’t even ordered one yet (assuming a super priority visa request was available). I might be getting facts wrong. But how is it the visa request didn’t occur by 5/19 when they announced his invitation? I know I’m lashing out a bit and probably going trough the 7 stages of grief. But from a viewer’s perspective if Matchroom is going to hype up bringing in Efren then they still have to own it not happening for avoidable reasons. Maybe given the circumstances, Efren specifically was worth the effort. Just like maybe given the circumstances Earl was worth knowing if he’s vaccinated and arranging his travel to have lead time on possible quarantines. Or stuff like this can happen with their marquee gimmick players and they accept it as status quo.
I know where you are coming from, and there's certainly room for debate here, but I don't feel Matchroom should have to keep the checklist that you advocate. Yes, it would add some value, but the responsibility for having their visas in order lies with the players. Those who are invited to a Matchroom invitational event who don't have their visas in order should either decline those invitations or notify Matchroom that their visa has not yet been obtained, after which it should be Matchroom's option to revoke that invitation and invite somebody else.

You've made a very good point concerning Efren, but if he told Matchroom "I can get a visa on time", and perhaps he did, it's not their responsibility to follow through on it. If, on the other hand, he said "I don't know if I can get a visa on time" then it's a different situation.

Sorry, but Matchroom tried to do a good turn here, and just like you and me, they are victims of Efren's failure to get his visa.

Bob Jewett

AZB Osmium Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Silver Member
... the responsibility for having their visas in order lies with the players....
Exactly. They are also responsible for being at the venue on time, even if travel conditions are uncertain. That might mean showing up a day early. Flights get cancelled, especially lately.

Pretty much the last thing a promoter wants to do is baby sit and act as the travel agent for 32 or 256 players.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Exactly. They are also responsible for being at the venue on time, even if travel conditions are uncertain. That might mean showing up a day early. Flights get cancelled, especially lately.

Pretty much the last thing a promoter wants to do is baby sit and act as the travel agent for 32 or 256 players.

Matchroom (or anyone else in pool) doesn't have the money or headcount for babysitting. But it's also silly to do nothing and then get burned every torunament with a failed marketing plan. Who knows what actually went on with Efren or Earl, but I would be surprised if Matchroom ignores this recurring issue in the future for key players. Predator, for example, appears to handle visas for their top athletes.

At least DAZN didn't forget to carry the stream this time and Rollie in the commentary box was interesting.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I know where you are coming from, and there's certainly room for debate here, but I don't feel Matchroom should have to keep the checklist that you advocate. Yes, it would add some value, but the responsibility for having their visas in order lies with the players. Those who are invited to a Matchroom invitational event who don't have their visas in order should either decline those invitations or notify Matchroom that their visa has not yet been obtained, after which it should be Matchroom's option to revoke that invitation and invite somebody else.

You've made a very good point concerning Efren, but if he told Matchroom "I can get a visa on time", and perhaps he did, it's not their responsibility to follow through on it. If, on the other hand, he said "I don't know if I can get a visa on time" then it's a different situation.

Sorry, but Matchroom tried to do a good turn here, and just like you and me, they are victims of Efren's failure to get his visa.
I probably am reacting more emotionally than logically. But if I was Matchroom I’d be thinking “Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.” This is the second time this has happened in less than a year. They don’t get grace for a third time. It happens again I won’t have any sympathy for them. I’ll just stop trusting their press releases going forward.

Reactions: sjm

telinoz

Registered
Obviously, Efren's visa is his own responsibility and the misunderstanding isn't Matchroom's fault at all. However, Matchroom has seen enough visa and travel issues throughout the past year that they can't be completely shocked at this. Going forward, even though it shouldn't have to be their responsibility, I think Matchroom should confirm that tournament participants have secured the necessary travel/other documentation to compete BEFORE launching massive campaigns marketing their participation.
Yep.

vjmehra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Matchroom (or anyone else in pool) doesn't have the money or headcount for babysitting. But it's also silly to do nothing and then get burned every torunament with a failed marketing plan. Who knows what actually went on with Efren or Earl, but I would be surprised if Matchroom ignores this recurring issue in the future for key players. Predator, for example, appears to handle visas for their top athletes.

At least DAZN didn't forget to carry the stream this time and Rollie in the commentary box was interesting.

With Earl (assuming you're referring to the Mosconi Cup situation during Covid), there was nothing that could be done, UK government rules meant that he had to isolate even if he tested negative, was fully vaccinated etc. as someone on the same plane had tested positive.

We can argue about whether those rules made sense or not, but at the time, that's what was in place, there is nothing Earl, nor Matchroom could have done to pre-empt it (other than having a reserve, which they did).

Poolplaya9

Tellin' it like it is...
Silver Member

While I 100% agree that it shouldn't have to be Matchroom's responsibility to verify certain players are actually going to have their visa's in order and show up etc, if it is going to have a strong enough negative impact on their business then the only prudent choice is that they absolutely should do some babysitting, or better yet put in place rules/sanctions/etc that work well enough to motivate the players to do it right themselves.

Now whether Matchroom is at that point yet where they should be doing that for their own benefit is debatable, but with some people things like this are hurting Matchroom's credibility, making them look incompetent, angering or disappointing their customers, etc, all things that negatively affect their business, and at some point it would behoove Matchroom to do something about it for their own benefit even if they shouldn't have to have been put in that situation.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
With Earl (assuming you're referring to the Mosconi Cup situation during Covid), there was nothing that could be done, UK government rules meant that he had to isolate even if he tested negative, was fully vaccinated etc. as someone on the same plane had tested positive.

We can argue about whether those rules made sense or not, but at the time, that's what was in place, there is nothing Earl, nor Matchroom could have done to pre-empt it (other than having a reserve, which they did).

You may be right as my memory is foggy, but I seem to recall the outcome would have been different if Earl arrived a few days earlier or was vaccinated.

But crazy stuff happens all the time that's no one's fault. Perhaps the answer is Matchroom will pivot its advertising strategy and rely less on promotions of particular players if it doesn't have the ability to control if they actually show up. I don't know their marketing budget, but Matchroom made a real investment in boosting the Efren announcement on social media channels.

None of this is my business except I'm an Efren fan.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Except the UK rules were well defined including requiring a COVID officer to navigate those rules. And that guidance explicitly said to consider the possibility of an unvaccinated elite athlete being required to quarantine from exposure during travel.

This was an excerpt from the same rules that caused Earl to not be able to participate.
4169FC92-A10A-4BCD-AB04-91C1D7250C3A.jpeg

Last edited:

dnschmidt

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's clearly Efren's fault but what a shame. Matchroom is going to lose a lot of money because I can guarantee you that more Philippinos’s watch the stream than Americans. It's got to be one of their major markets and without Efren nobody in the Philippines is going to give a shit about the tournament. This hurts everybody.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's clearly Efren's fault but what a shame. Matchroom is going to lose a lot of money because I can guarantee you that more Philippinos’s watch the stream than Americans. It's got to be one of their major markets and without Efren nobody in the Philippines is going to give a shit about the tournament. This hurts everybody.

yes, very unfortunate. presumably these kind of things were handled by puyat or by his manager when he was active and travelling a lot.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh. I don't think ER is up to it and it's as likely they just bailed. Not a good era to be traveling in any featured recreational capacity anyway.

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Meh. I don't think ER is up to it and it's as likely they just bailed. Not a good era to be traveling in any featured recreational capacity anyway.
At 67 he would have been like a boat anchor around Biado's neck.

Team should have been Biado and Lee Van Corteza

evergruven

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
At 67 he would have been like a boat anchor around Biado's neck.

I have doubts about this, but the shame is we won't get to see

we should all be responsible for our own stuff, but if I'm matchroom, I'm doing everything I can to get efren to the table
I don't know what they did/didn't do..I'm just saying if you care, do what you're able, to protect your investment

mista335

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have doubts about this, but the shame is we won't get to see

we should all be responsible for our own stuff, but if I'm matchroom, I'm doing everything I can to get efren to the table
I don't know what they did/didn't do..I'm just saying if you care, do what you're able, to protect your investment
What could Matchroom have done?