[WCOP] Team Philippines (Reyes / Biado) Withdraws

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wonder what travel issues they encountered. Emily must be devastated. Seems like they should be ahead of these kinds of problems.

inside_english

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Wonder what travel issues they encountered. Emily must be devastated. Seems like they should be ahead of these kinds of problems.
To be fair, we don't know exactly why they were "forced" to withdraw and it may have been something either completely out of the control of Matchroom, and/or it took them (Matchroom) by surprise. Either way, this is a huge blow to the Philippines and pool fans everywhere. Very disappointing indeed.

Vahmurka

...and I get all da rolls
Silver Member
Based on the past, "travel issues" for a pool player most often means he/she can not enter the country of destination due to visa problems.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Based on the past, "travel issues" for a pool player most often means he/she can not enter the country of destination due to visa problems.

I saw speculation that Biado's visa expired or had Brexit-related issues. It would be hard to keep track of all these international requirements to play globally.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I saw speculation that Biado's visa expired or had Brexit-related issues. It would be hard to keep track of all these international requirements to play globally.
I agree and I don’t. If you’re a Matchroom regular, you have a strong incentive to be familiar with those requirements. And if you’re Matchroom, this is an area you should be babysitting your players. Emily might not want to go to Kaci’s room and rub his tummy to tell him it’s time to wake up and I get that. But travel requirements should be a bit of a checklist that they help each invited player validate.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I agree and I don’t. If you’re a Matchroom regular, you have a strong incentive to be familiar with those requirements. And if you’re Matchroom, this is an area you should be babysitting your players. Emily might not want to go to Kaci’s room and rub his tummy to tell him it’s time to wake up and I get that. But travel requirements should be a bit of a checklist that they help each invited player validate.

Agreed, it's their collective job after all. The WPA or a players association could provide these sort of services as well. But the lack of money everywhere makes it hard.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Biado "cleared" Matchroom of wrongdoing and will clear the air with livestream :LOL:

biado1.JPG

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm thinking people will have bought tickets hoping to see efren.. very unfortunate. was another pinoy pairing not possible? like dennis, lee van..

the only positive thing from this is that thepchaiya uh-nooh is an entertaining player, like tony drago once was.

spartan

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i'm thinking people will have bought tickets hoping to see efren.. very unfortunate. was another pinoy pairing not possible? like dennis, lee van..

the only positive thing from this is that thepchaiya uh-nooh is an entertaining player, like tony drago once was.
Thepchaiya is one of fastest less than 20 seconds per shot in snooker . Maybe putting in 2 snooker players is in line with MR intentions to some snooker fanbase. Appleton/Boyes would be great replacement but there was some discontent backlash last year when GB had 3 teams and other countries miss out so MR wants to avoid that. Plus Appleton is still banned and Boyes no longer involved playing or coaching as MC Vice Captain
:)

dbyrd2654

Carlo and his wife just posted a message on youtube. Efren has visa issue. Carlo and his wife visa were set. The explanation may have been more clear in Tagalog but their English version said Efren's visa is the issue. Perhaps Jay can get further explanation.

sjm

Older and Wiser
Silver Member
Top pool players travel the world and are 100% responsible for staying on top of travel and visa issues.

I don't think Matchroom can possibly stay abreast of the travel requirements for every country, and no, they are not babysitters. Travelers, especially those that must travel to earn their income, need to be knowledgeable about both travel from and reentry policies pertinent to their own countries. I recall one of the players, whose name presently escapes me, comment that he could have come to the 2021 WPC in England, but he was concerned that he might not be able to reenter his own country.

At this moment in history more than any other, players need to keep abreast of travel requirements pertinent to their own countries.

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Travel Issue is 🐂💩 excuse, quit being PC.

If someone is on Bared from entry list, just say so and so is not welcome because.

Truth Hurt❓ Tought Tacos.🤯

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In all seriousness I’m very disappointed Efren isn’t playing this year. I was very much looking forward to seeing him participate. Like most everyone I’m a Efren fan. I think the only guys who don’t like him is who ever he’s playing at any given time. 😁

Pool is just a better place when Efren’s there!

Best
Fatboy😃