Weekly One Pocket Tournament in So Cal - Gauging Interest

Mikey Town

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi all,

With One Pocket's recent increase in popularity, and as many action matches that are found in pool rooms these days, it's somewhat surprising that there still aren't many tournaments available... let alone tournaments that would allow players newly introduced to the game to compete and learn.

A couple fellow players, and I, were kicking around the idea of proposing a weekly one pocket tournament at a room in Orange County, CA and I was hoping to get some feedback from the forum, and see if there are any locals who would be interested in playing.

The tournament would be at night, on a weekday (not Friday). The entry fee would be small... in the $10-$15 range. It would be single elimination, race to 2 or 3, depending how things shake out. These tournaments would be handicapped. After all, it's not like anyone is going to get rich in a tournament like this, and it is very important that players with less One Pocket experience feel like they stand a fighting chance... I think that encouraging this way (not discouraging) could help bring more 8/9/10-ball players into this beautiful game.

Who, other than me, thinks that a weekly One Pocket tournament like this could work?

Are there any local players that would be interested in something like this?

I think that a weekly One Pocket tournament, in a lower pressure (albeit competitive) setting, could be a great way to introduce some newer players to the game while breaking up some of the monotony of 8-ball and 9/10-ball.


Thank you, in advance, for your thoughts,

Mike
 
Where? I live in San Pedro, depending on where and what time, I would consider it. Although handicapping one-pocket will be tougher than 9-ball.
 
Mike, just eliminating the A players should do it. Everyone knows who they are. That should make it competitive. It's hard to imagine that you could do a one pocket tournament in one night but maybe if you made it single and a race to one or two. Good luck in putting something together.

P.S. There is a one pocket tournament at Stix in Rancho Cucamonga on the 12th and 13th of Oct. Double elimination and race to two on both sides. $1500 added based on 32 players. $40 entry. Come and play or just to spectate.
 
Last edited:
Mike, just eliminating the A players should do it. Everyone knows who they are. That should make it competitive. It's hard to imagine that you could do a one pocket tournament in one night but maybe if you made it single and a race to one or two. Good luck in putting something together.

P.S. There is a one pocket tournament at Stix in Rancho Cucamonga on the 12th and 13th of Oct. Double elimination and race to two on both sides. $1500 added based on 32 players. $40 entry. Come and play or just to spectate.

Thanks for the info.. I am going to try and come down on the 13th.

Race to 2 seems fairly short
 
Mike, just eliminating the A players should do it. Everyone knows who they are. That should make it competitive. It's hard to imagine that you could do a one pocket tournament in one night but maybe if you made it single and a race to one or two. Good luck in putting something together.

P.S. There is a one pocket tournament at Stix in Rancho Cucamonga on the 12th and 13th of Oct. Double elimination and race to two on both sides. $1500 added based on 32 players. $40 entry. Come and play or just to spectate.

Way to kill your own action, my friend! :thumbup::p:D
 
I think there is a lot of merit to regular weekly, quickie, low entry, short race, single elimination tournaments. Like maybe: you throw in $20, race to one, and it's single elimination. It'd be great if it was done every week. And the format would probably result in a different winner each week.

Lou Figueroa
 
Mike, just eliminating the A players should do it. Everyone knows who they are. That should make it competitive. It's hard to imagine that you could do a one pocket tournament in one night but maybe if you made it single and a race to one or two. Good luck in putting something together.

P.S. There is a one pocket tournament at Stix in Rancho Cucamonga on the 12th and 13th of Oct. Double elimination and race to two on both sides. $1500 added based on 32 players. $40 entry. Come and play or just to spectate.

Thanks for the input, Frank!

I'll definitely head out to Stix for that tournament... sounds like a great way to spend a birthday weekend. :thumbup:
 
Yeah, but

Mikey-

Sounds good. Single elimination, likely. race to 2? To try to finish before closing...maybe the "Martin rule" (ask Frank) re limit on uptable balls, and which to spot.

Maybe some details and compromises to work out, but a great idea for 'during the week' alternative to rotation.

In light of your access to advisory resources: I get 11-4 and the break, and 3-no count scratches.:eek:

Good idea Mikey...I hope there is enough local interest to get this going.

I am new to the game...and I think this would be a perfect opportunity for learning the game, especially, if better players are allowed to play via some handicapping method.

Heck-might even develop some OC players willing to go up to Santa Monica and play some.;)
 
Mikey-

Sounds good. Single elimination, likely. race to 2? To try to finish before closing...maybe the "Martin rule" (ask Frank) re limit on uptable balls, and which to spot.

Maybe some details and compromises to work out, but a great idea for 'during the week' alternative to rotation.

In light of your access to advisory resources: I get 11-4 and the break, and 3-no count scratches.:eek:

Good idea Mikey...I hope there is enough local interest to get this going.

I am new to the game...and I think this would be a perfect opportunity for learning the game, especially, if better players are allowed to play via some handicapping method.

Heck-might even develop some OC players willing to go up to Santa Monica and play some.;)

3RAILKICK,

Have I met you before? Not sure, as I don't venture out all that much.

Either way, thank you for the suggestions. I know bits and pieces of the so called "Martin Rule," but I will have to consult Frank for a full tutorial (and back story... LOL).

As for my advisory resources situation... I'm not sure I'm at a place where I can give a "Spot by Association." However, as long as we can play for the same amount on the golf course, then I'll give you 11-4 in the pool hall all day long. ;)

Hope to run into you soon. The only thing better than good pool is good pool with good company.
 
3RAILKICK,

Have I met you before? Not sure, as I don't venture out all that much. ...(I'm pretty forgettable.( steered you to Myron)
.....

.......

.. However, as long as we can play for the same amount on the golf course, then I'll give you 11-4 in the pool hall all day long. ;)..(I heard Mark mention your golf handicap.. strong like bull)

Hope to run into you soon. The only thing better than good pool is good pool with good company.


Good luck getting this going...would be fun.
 
I've never played one pocket but it sounds cool. I typically shoot in Orange County though and know a lot of the people in the area. I can ask around about an interest and report back here if you'd like.
 
I've never played one pocket but it sounds cool. I typically shoot in Orange County though and know a lot of the people in the area. I can ask around about an interest and report back here if you'd like.

That would be great... thanks for the assist, Brian!
 
One Pocket League

Check out californiacuesports.com They are running a handicap pool league in several rooms in Northern CA and getting ready to expand to So. CA.

Very organized, easy to run and most of the $$ comes back to the players with some compensation also going to the rooms that host the league.

The August issue of Cue Sports Journal has some information in it.

You can view the online copy here:

http://issuu.com/cuesportsjournal/docs/csj_aug_2013
 
I was going to mention Mikey, you should consider contacting the California Cue Sports league and becoming a tourney director for the Orange County Division. Hendy will get you in touch with them if you need and so can I.

My email is povpool@gmail.com

It would give players a chance to play in regional and hopefully annual events.

Good luck!
 
Thank you John and Daniel! I will definitely keep California Cue Sports in mind, and will be in contact with you if we take it that direction.
 
Back
Top